Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will miss him and Andy Taylor.

Legendary television actor Andy Griffith dead at 86 | Fox News

"I see so many TV shows about the South where the creative powers behind it have no life experience in the South," Fincannon said. "What made `The Andy Griffith Show' work was Andy Griffith himself -- the fact that he was of this dirt and had such deep respect for the people and places of his childhood. A character might be broadly eccentric, but the character had an ethical and moral base that allowed us to laugh with them and not at them. And Andy Griffith's the reason for that."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

This extended excerpt of an early episode was before Andy Griffith mellowed his Southern drawl a bit and also learned to allow the other characters to get all the laughs and for him to just be the straight man--which he had learned to do by the 2nd season, he stated in later interviews).

Hey, which two characters were often spoken to but never seen?

BTW: Although I loved this show very much, I thought it odd that there were so few, if any, African Americans in this fictional Southern town.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #23

Here in North Carolina, as everywhere, he was much loved and will be very much missed.

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Griffith. R.I.P.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
From the episode titled "Opie the Birdman". In this episode, Opie killed a bird with his slingshot and was dismayed to learn she had babies. Andy scolded him for killing the bird, then turned this into a lesson of compassion and love. Still makes me cry....
Ron Howard mentioned in an interview that his dad (his parents were also actors) coached him through his tears in that scene by suggesting that he think about a family pet which had recently passed on.

Around that time his parents also bought Ron a movie camera and let him direct them in his own family home videos. Talk about an apprenticeship...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Remember Andy's first girlfriend? She was a lot different than the staid (boring) Helen. I think she was too wild for Andy. Elinor Donahue--of Father Knows Best fame. She's still acting.
To me, the sexiest of Andy's handful of girlfriends during the course of the series was Peggy McMillan--who, during the 3rd season, was the girl who skipped rocks over the water with Andy, tried unsuccessfully to get him to eat escargot at a fancy French restaurant, got mud splashed on her by a passing car while waiting for an absent Andy, and eventually became "blood brothers" with Opie before the three went out for an early morning fishing adventure. She was played by the beautiful Joanna Moore--future ex-wife of Ryan O'Neal, and the mother of the very young Oscar-winner Tatum O'Neal and her brother Griffin.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #26

Andy Griffith sings the theme song.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post

Andy Griffith sings the theme song.
Thanks. Never heard him sing the theme before. TV Land is remembering Andy today by showing a lot of his shows. They just don't get old.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Old 07-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Difficult to pick a funniest episode. But if I had to try, I say the one with Andy, Barney and Gomer in the "haunted" house. "It's probably just the light."

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #30

As a native Tarheel (North Carolinian) I'll definitely miss Andy. Coincidentally, I happen to be in NC right now visiting my mom, daughter, grandaughter, other relatives, friends etc. I was eating with my mom in a restaurant when I heard the news of Andy's death. He was only 3 yrs older than my mom. I've visited Andy's hometown of Mount Airy, NC. "Mount Pilot" is actually Pilot Mountain, which is near Mt. Airy. Andy was a childhood hero of mine, and to tell the truth, he still is.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

What a loss. I grew up on the Andy Griffith show reruns as I was 4 when the show ended. It is/was required TV for our kids along with the Walton's and Little House on the Prarie at the appropiate ages.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

LOVE this.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
What a loss. I grew up on the Andy Griffith show reruns as I was 4 when the show ended. It is/was required TV for our kids along with the Walton's and Little House on the Prarie at the appropiate ages.
Yeah, my collections of parental discretion on TV as a kid was that I was allowed to stay up until 11 PM on Saturday nights instead of the usual 9 PM bedtime partially because it wasn't a school night, but also because my parents would let me stay up to watch the Carol Burnett Show which ran from 10-11 on CBS on Saturday nights.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I read he was buried 5 hours after his death on the family farm. Apparently, he was ill for sometime but pretty much keep his illness away from the public eye. The official cause of death was a heart attack.

RIP Andy.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer
I read he was buried 5 hours after his death on the family farm. Apparently, he was ill for sometime but pretty much keep his illness away from the public eye. The official cause of death was a heart attack.

RIP Andy.
That was certainly unique. An article stated that it was his wish to be buried immediately.