Join Early Retirement Today

Animal in Heating Duct
Old 10-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Animal in Heating Duct

Last night I heard some gnawing noises from the heating register in the floor. (I only run the furnace a few minutes per month to keep it happy (we use the wood stove).)

A trip to the crawlspace showed no evidence of animals, so I'm guessing the mouse is living in the ducts. I put a snap trap into the duct below the register. Any other tips?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I put a snap trap into the duct below the register. Any other tips?
Wire the trap to something that won't move when Willard starts dragging it away...

What did the critter have to chew through to get into the duct? By any chance are you in raccoon country? Is there a way to seal up the crawl space or whatever other nook/cranny the critters are getting into? Do you keep pet food out?

We've been rodent-free since we located all the gaps between our siding and our foundation and stuffed aluminum foil up into them. We're also lucky that rodents don't seem to care for bunny food.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Heh. Last year we suddenly heard a heavy clunking in our furnace -- it was shaking dangerously. We turned the furnace off immediately and called the repair guy. Next day he comes in and removes a (very dead) small squirrel from the blower.

We'd had a cover off one of the grates several months prior, and either one of our cats chased it in or it came in on its own.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Heh. Last year we suddenly heard a heavy clunking in our furnace -- it was shaking dangerously. We turned the furnace off immediately and called the repair guy. Next day he comes in and removes a (very dead) small squirrel from the blower.
I hope I'm not the only one wondering what manufacturer elected to power their blower with a squirrel on a wheel instead of an electric motor.

The squirrel must've stumbled...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #5

Lol! Hrm. American Standard, which to me implies that squirrel-powered furnaces are the standard here in the U.S.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I hope I'm not the only one wondering what manufacturer elected to power their blower with a squirrel on a wheel instead of an electric motor.

The squirrel must've stumbled...
....sounds more like suicide...or coulda been he wanted to ER
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
We had a couple of squirrels get into our kitchen exhaust fan duct from the roof of the house a few years ago. We ended up letting them escape on their own and running out the back door after we beat on the duct work enough to drive them nuts (sorry for that pun).

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Wire the trap to something that won't move when Willard starts dragging it away..
i learned that one the hard way. had a roof rat get behind my water heater (which is on side porch--old house). after i wasn't successful in catching with a live trap (was going to relocate him to nearby river), i put a snap trap on top of the water heater which is built into a little closet that sticks out from the side of the house.

so of couse he wound up falling behind the water heater, attached to the trap. so now i had to move the dryer to get to the side of the closet where i had to remove the siding & cut a hole into the wall to get to the back of the heater because i hadn't attached a wire. duh, mine was not the simplest mousetrap.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last night I heard some gnawing noises from the heating register in the floor. (I only run the furnace a few minutes per month to keep it happy (we use the wood stove).)

A trip to the crawlspace showed no evidence of animals, so I'm guessing the mouse is living in the ducts. I put a snap trap into the duct below the register. Any other tips?
If you have an older furnace vented through a chimney, it could have fallen in via that route. I've had Starlings and one squirrel do that before I screened the top of the chimney.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #10

I also had critters in the ductwork at previous home. I found a dead starling when I was replacing an exhaust pipe to the chimney. A short time later the blower unit in the basement stopped working. I called my hvac guy and watched him troubleshoot the problem. (I love to learn about how stuff works.)

Every time the unit would try to ignite the burner, it would stop. The safety mechanism prevents the burner from lighting until it senses airflow from the exhaust blower moving up the exhaust vent. So something was obstructing the air flow. Technician disconnected the vent at the furnace, and as he pulled it away from the furnace a squirrel dropped on his feet. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone jump straight up so far flat footed! The poor guy had to sit down for several minutes to get his heart to slow down. Alas, the squirrel was dead, too much CO in the vent even for a squirrel.

After that, I decided to climb up on the roof and put some hardware cloth over the chimney vent. Never had another problem after that.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I cannot figure out how he got in there, unless it's through the chimney vent. The crawlspace is well sealed, no droppings down there, just a salamander and lots of spiders.

You dog lovers will like this story: A bird flew down a guy's stove pipe and into his wood stove when it wasn't burning. The guy's dachshund got such a thrill out of it, that now he just sits and stares at the stove all day, hoping for a repeat from the magic bird-producing machine.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #12

Sometimes you need a professional for those large jobs:

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Fighting men from head to toe...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
One of those guys is out of uniform. It's got to be either desert or woodland forest BDU, but not both.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #15

Trombone Al ... how do you like the hearthstone stove. We use the same stove at the lake. Keep it going all weekend and you're opening windows! Too hot. Of course the furnace never fires once the stove is hot. Didn't bother putting the blower unit on our stove.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Bait your trap with sunflower seeds. If that doesnt work try gummi bears. I've had about 95% immediate success with the shelled sunflower seeds.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Trombone Al ... how do you like the hearthstone stove.
It's great. It's a Regency WarmHearth, and I'm sitting in front of it now. We heat our entire 2000 sq ft house with it (the bedroom stays pretty cold, but that's how we like it). It's got a good fan that gets the heat distributed, and I have ceiling and wall fans to (partly) distribute the heat to the rest of the house.

Here's a picture of my trombone warm-up routine:

Old 10-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #18

Nothing feels like home when cuddled up next to a warm fire with a Twinkie.

Ahhhhh, the good life !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

We had a racoon in our walls .You could hear him banging on the walls all night .What we finally had to do was open one of the walls and place a racoon cage baited with cat food and peanut butter .We then took the racoon to a field and let him loose.All because somebody (SO ) left the garage door open .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #20

Quote:

A bird flew down a guy's stove pipe and into his wood stove when it wasn't burning.
A few years ago we heard a noise coming from the fireplace in our bedroom (no flames please, we didn't build it and have never used it). Afer a couple of days, I looked up and a pigeon was sitting above the damper. Must have fallen down the chimney. Tried several things to coax it down and out. No luck, tried to reach up and grab it, arm too short. Got DS (longer arms) to try. While he was fumbling up there the bird sat on his hand. He slowly brought it down and out and the damn thing flew away thru an open patio door. Thought we might have to actually burn the fireplace and enjoy not waste squab.