Animal Rescue Shelters: Warm-hearted Animal Lovers or Nasty Opportunists?

We've been doing breed rescue for over 5 years or so, of a breed that we've had for close to 35 years (Shetland Sheepdogs aka "mini-collies").

Rescueme, you pretty much describe the Sheltie Rescue group that my DW and I are involved with here in Northern Virginia- yes, we do charge what some consider a high fee but we're a non profit group and the adoption fees don't cover the costs- we have to make them up with fund raisers, donations, etc.

Samclem, good luck with your search and hope you check out the rescue groups like you would any other non-profit before you deal with them. We work closely with our local shelters, we basically have a volunteer that is assigned to all the shelters in the area who have a relationship with the shelter. When a Sheltie comes in, we're contacted and usually end up taking those dogs to clear the system for others. We've fostered over 20 dogs in the last 3 1/2 years, we've had them with us from 2 weeks to almost a year- our current foster is an 11 month old, deaf, blind, and not housebroken sheltie, sweet as she can be but what a challenge!

Hope our story helps a little bit for you to feel more comfortable with a rescue group.

Rescueme, you pretty much describe the Sheltie Rescue group that my DW and I are involved with here in Northern Virginia- yes, we do charge what some consider a high fee but we're a non profit group and the adoption fees don't cover the costs- we have to make them up with fund raisers, donations, etc.

Samclem, good luck with your search and hope you check out the rescue groups like you would any other non-profit before you deal with them. We work closely with our local shelters, we basically have a volunteer that is assigned to all the shelters in the area who have a relationship with the shelter. When a Sheltie comes in, we're contacted and usually end up taking those dogs to clear the system for others. We've fostered over 20 dogs in the last 3 1/2 years, we've had them with us from 2 weeks to almost a year- our current foster is an 11 month old, deaf, blind, and not housebroken sheltie, sweet as she can be but what a challenge!

Hope our story helps a little bit for you to feel more comfortable with a rescue group.

My hat goes off to you Dave. Keep up the great work! I too have fostered many special needs animals over the years. They put a special hook in my heart.

I'm used to going to the local pounds/shelters, looking at the mutts, finding a good match, paying 30-80 bucks, and being on our way. These rescue places are nothing like that--they are private operations, you have to fill out a lengthy application (people are frequently rejected I'm told), and pay them $300 for the dog.

Sounds like you were happy with the local pounds/shelters, and from what you say they are cheaper, so why not get your dog there? Sounds like a no-brainer. Then you can donate to the rescue organizations if you decide want to, to the extent you want to, as a separate action.

Back
Top Bottom