Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I own a 70lb pit and she is the sweetest dog I have ever owned. They get a bad rap.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
I own a 70lb pit and she is the sweetest dog I have ever owned. They get a bad rap.
Pits are very loving dogs. The problem is many of the owners. Your pit is one of the lucky ones.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #23

I know, I know. Here's a cute little guy we call Buster Brown that was dumped near our house that I am calling a "boxer mix". Probably around 3-4 months old

Our area is a dumping ground for all kinds of sad animals, but I can't imagine how someone could push a puppy like Buster out of their car to fend for himself. When we saw him running across the road, DH pulled over and I went to the edge of the woods to call him. He came slinking up nervously, with his tail wagging the whole time. He so desperately wanted to come to me, but experience had already taught him that sometimes an outstretched hand isn't there to help. When he finally came to me and I picked him up, he just pressed his gaunt and skinny little self up against me as hard as he could.

In just the two weeks we've had him, he's really come out of his shy shell. I've just announced him as adoptable and hope to find him a good home soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buster.JPG (81.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Buster Brown.JPG (88.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BusterBrown.JPG (74.8 KB, 2 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

You are an angel Sarah.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Pits are very loving dogs. The problem is many of the owners. Your pit is one of the lucky ones.
The problem may start with the owners, but you can't ignore the fact that these are very strong animals with impressive size, incredibly powerful jaws and the ability to do grievous bodily harm if so inclined. The breed certainly has a bad reputation, (real, imagined, or undeserved?) Not sure why anyone would want that liability, especially in todays litigious society- I imagine that a personal injury lawyer would start salivating like Pavlov's Dog just hearing the word "Pitbull" ...and some insurance companies are refusing to write Homeowners Policies to folks who have them/ or excluding them from coverage?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
We've been doing breed rescue for over 5 years or so, of a breed that we've had for close to 35 years (Shetland Sheepdogs aka "mini-collies").
Rescueme, you pretty much describe the Sheltie Rescue group that my DW and I are involved with here in Northern Virginia- yes, we do charge what some consider a high fee but we're a non profit group and the adoption fees don't cover the costs- we have to make them up with fund raisers, donations, etc.

Samclem, good luck with your search and hope you check out the rescue groups like you would any other non-profit before you deal with them. We work closely with our local shelters, we basically have a volunteer that is assigned to all the shelters in the area who have a relationship with the shelter. When a Sheltie comes in, we're contacted and usually end up taking those dogs to clear the system for others. We've fostered over 20 dogs in the last 3 1/2 years, we've had them with us from 2 weeks to almost a year- our current foster is an 11 month old, deaf, blind, and not housebroken sheltie, sweet as she can be but what a challenge!

Hope our story helps a little bit for you to feel more comfortable with a rescue group.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Rescueme, you pretty much describe the Sheltie Rescue group that my DW and I are involved with here in Northern Virginia- yes, we do charge what some consider a high fee but we're a non profit group and the adoption fees don't cover the costs- we have to make them up with fund raisers, donations, etc.

Samclem, good luck with your search and hope you check out the rescue groups like you would any other non-profit before you deal with them. We work closely with our local shelters, we basically have a volunteer that is assigned to all the shelters in the area who have a relationship with the shelter. When a Sheltie comes in, we're contacted and usually end up taking those dogs to clear the system for others. We've fostered over 20 dogs in the last 3 1/2 years, we've had them with us from 2 weeks to almost a year- our current foster is an 11 month old, deaf, blind, and not housebroken sheltie, sweet as she can be but what a challenge!

Hope our story helps a little bit for you to feel more comfortable with a rescue group.
My hat goes off to you Dave. Keep up the great work! I too have fostered many special needs animals over the years. They put a special hook in my heart.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'm used to going to the local pounds/shelters, looking at the mutts, finding a good match, paying 30-80 bucks, and being on our way. These rescue places are nothing like that--they are private operations, you have to fill out a lengthy application (people are frequently rejected I'm told), and pay them $300 for the dog.
Sounds like you were happy with the local pounds/shelters, and from what you say they are cheaper, so why not get your dog there? Sounds like a no-brainer. Then you can donate to the rescue organizations if you decide want to, to the extent you want to, as a separate action.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote