Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #241
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Wow, they are really cool looking! And so full of energy! They sure can jump high, especially compared to my kitties.
DH likes to play with them and finds a toy or 2 that they really like. Then he trains them by moving the toy up walls on 3M removable tape, or throwing the item higher & higher. Both cats have jumped up to over 5 feet in the air to get their toys!
Shamy Likes Tinsle Balls, Abby likes green Starbucks Stir Sticks...()
One more of Shamy, he is quite athletic (jumping 6 feet up on this loop):
http://www.tlcpropmgmt.com/kitties/P...-trim_loop.mov
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
DH likes to play with them and finds a toy or 2 that they really like. Then he trains them by moving the toy up walls on 3M removable tape, or throwing the item higher & higher. Both cats have jumped up to over 5 feet in the air to get their toys!
Shamy Likes Tinsle Balls, Abby likes green Starbucks Stir Sticks...()
One more of Shamy, he is quite athletic (jumping 6 feet up on this loop):
Love it!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #243
Recycles dryer sheets

Floyd, our 10 month old Vizsla...loves to chase the laser pointer (which is what he is looking for in this pic).

bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #244
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More pretty pics! I remember reading several of Gladys Tabor's books about her Abyssinian cats when I was a child and being enchanted with them. Such neat animals and very, very clever.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I think the cats definitely prefer my husband.

What is it with these cats Mine will come up and lie on my stomach and chest...

Worse is when she wants to look into my eyes when I want to watch TV... yesterday she was fighting to stay in place during the Super Bowl... had to get rough and push her down so I could see..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #246
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is our now departed Marshall. He lived to swim and except when it was frigid outside he would swim in our pool four or five times each day.

He was 8 wks old when we got him from the SPCA and in this pic he was 14. We wanted a picture to remember him by and I had the idea to put him in the accoutrements of what he loved to do the best in the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marshall.jpg (8.8 KB, 18 views)
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
This is our now departed Marshall. He lived to swim and except when it was frigid outside he would swim in our pool four or five times each day.

He was 8 wks old when we got him from the SPCA and in this pic he was 14. We wanted a picture to remember him by and I had the idea to put him in the accoutrements of what he loved to do the best in the world.
Marshall was one lucky dude. Thank you for taking in a rescue animal and giving him a wonderful home and life
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #248

Quote:

What a great picture Lisa99, and a wonderful reminder of the life that you had with Marshall
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #249
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Great pic of Marshall -- tough to lose a sweet pup but looks like you will have lots of good memories of him.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #250

Thanks everyone but I wouldn't exactly call Marshall sweet...he ate a couch, too many shoes to count, a chocolate birthday cake and the list could go on for pages...Marley was a slacker compared to Marshall; but he was our dog and we signed up for the duration.

And even though he was a h*ll hound, he was our h*ll hound and was greatly loved.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #251

I used to have 2 cats but my ex GF took them with her when she left... I will post a picture of the cats if I find one.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Lisa, I think we'll feel that way when our hell hound goes--Jane, the evil dog. She's 13 and deaf now, and has eaten more doors than I can count. Her mom, the long suffering Grace, is so patient and good, but nearing the end at 16 as well.
Jane was the only pup of Grace's we kept, and boy have we rued that decision over the past decade or so! I agree, though, you miss them all, even when they are PITAs.
So sorry for your loss.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #253
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have Ashley, the Chinchilla, Avery, the tarantula, and two fish whose names escape me. Ashley is 9 years old now and can potentially live to around 30 if I remember correctly.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #254

and this sweet boy is Truman. He's a Newfoundland/Akita cross that thinks every person on the planet was put here to pet him.

He started as a foster dog. A co-worker was transferred to England for two years and was about to put Tru in a shelter. We took him in and and agreed to give him back when their expat was over. At the end of two years my co-worker called and said his expat had been extended for another two years. I told them that Truman was a part of the family and that we wanted to keep him. They agreed (happily I think) and seven years later Truman is still terrorizing the mailman with his very loud and deep bark, but he's secretly just wanting to lick him to death!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0204.jpg (437.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Lisa, I think we'll feel that way when our hell hound goes--Jane, the evil dog. She's 13 and deaf now, and has eaten more doors than I can count. Her mom, the long suffering Grace, is so patient and good, but nearing the end at 16 as well.
Jane was the only pup of Grace's we kept, and boy have we rued that decision over the past decade or so! I agree, though, you miss them all, even when they are PITAs.
So sorry for your loss.
Thanks Sarah, I'm sorry to hear your trials and tribulations but it's so wonderful that you didn't give up on Jane 'the evil dog'! We had more than one family member question our sanity for not sending Marshall 'back to the shelter'.....how is it possible to even contemplate that possibility since in Marshall's case it would have been a death sentence.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Lisa, I love your Truman story, too. And because we do so much fostering, I've often thought that we only get rid of the "good ones" and wind up keeping the dysfunctional dogs as our own...ditto the cats. I'm very sure that NO ONE else in the world would have kept evil Jane.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I've often thought that we only get rid of the "good ones" and wind up keeping the dysfunctional dogs as our own...ditto the cats.
It's funny isn't it - the ones that are different are in many ways the most lovable and memorable - and Lisa - Truman sounds wonderful.
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #258

We are huge pet lovers. We have 3 dogs, two from the shelter and one is my dad's old dog that we inherited this year. I also have my Siamese cat.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Tuna la Quinta. Last cat that is really ours and the only one with us here. She underwent tutelage from our grandma kitty, had a long apprenticeship, and has a number of learned endearing traits as well as some that are of her own devise. Kind of a big chicken but a very loving cat. Not big boned, just very well fed - she does a great sea otter imitation when laying on her back..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuna.jpg (101.7 KB, 7 views)
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
We have Ashley, the Chinchilla, Avery, the tarantula, and two fish whose names escape me. Ashley is 9 years old now and can potentially live to around 30 if I remember correctly.

I'm a kitty cat lover at heart but have developed a deep appreciation for Chinchillas through my volunteer work at our local animal shelter. We often get them in. Sadly, like ferrets, bunnies and guinea pigs, these wonderful animals are often adopted for the wrong reasons and are often misunderstood. Many end up at our shelter and we work very hard to re-home them. Chinchillas are such amazing critters - softest fur ever and those amazing little hands/paws