Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Purron does anyone know the reason that black cats aren't adopted? I didn't know they weren't. Also what has been your experience with bringing in a new cat to an established Siamese/tabby mix cat?
I would like to introduce a new pal for my little cat I adopted last fall but not sure if she would like other cats. She's not exactly mellow. In fact she was a down right Jeckle and Hyde before she finally settled down.
Here are some good tips from the HSUS and ASPCA about bringing a new cat into the household:

Introducing a New Cat to Other Pets : The Humane Society of the United States

ASPCA | Top 10 Things To Do Before You Bring Your New Cat Home

As far as why black cats are harder to adopt - I really don't know. I've found them to be beautiful and often more outgoing and friendly. Perhaps some still have superstitions about them. Black dogs have the same problem, but to a lesser extent. I'm happy to see so many forum members have black cats and dogs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #342
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks Purron!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #343
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron;1081031 [B
Black dogs have the same problem, but to a lesser extent. I'm happy to see so many forum members have black cats and dogs.[/B]
I read that on a lab message board. I think some people are a little intimated by a black dog for some reason. And as far as cats go, a black one was always tied to bad luck or evil. So I guess that carries over in the adoption process. Too bad.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #344

I just found a new tiny (1.5 lb) kitten in the parking lot of the local grocery store. I'm thinking of calling him Simon. Very cute! And black with white tuxedo markings. Here he is perched next to Biscuit, the 15 pounder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 256129_2116990330743_1425285955_32538246_4243760_o.jpg (552.9 KB, 16 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #345
Full time employment: Posting here.

Awwwww, Sarah - what a cutie! Seems that the new kitty and Biscuit are already buddies.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I just found a new tiny (1.5 lb) kitten in the parking lot of the local grocery store. I'm thinking of calling him Simon. Very cute! And black with white tuxedo markings. Here he is perched next to Biscuit, the 15 pounder.
I'd call him Einstein because he's obviously highly intelligent to have found you
Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #347

Good one, Purron. I heard him crying under some bushes last week and couldn't lure him out so we went back the next day (I love having friends I can call for cat wrangling sessions) and we just reached in and hauled him out by his hindquarters.

And I just spoke to the vet about him, as he had to go in for some surgery (fractured the bone under his eye in an ill-timed smashup on Saturday with old cranky deaf dog). He'll be okay, just a couple of sutures in his mouth and some antibiotics, plus pureed food for a week or so. Vet told me a story about one of the local curmudgeons in town calling his dog Number 7, because his wife said, you can't keep that dog, he'll be number 7! Since little tuxedo kitten is number 7 in my house, she suggested the same for him.

Biscuit is the tiny angel princess of the house--gawd I never thought I'd be a small dog sort of person, but she's the queen bee of our household and runs the 5 big dogs like a miniature musher! She does get along with everyone and the kitten is, unfortunately, fearless.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #348
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Awwh, so sweet!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #349

Quote:
He looks just like the first kitty our family ever had when I was a kid. Congrats for taking him in - he's such a cute little thing!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
She does get along with everyone and the kitten is, unfortunately, fearless.
That is a good thing! Must have been that way to survive this far?

Give us a better picture when you get a chance please.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #351

What a sweet darling cat! And Biscuit is also a doll!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #352
Administrator

I thought I had posted this - but maybe not...
We have a new puppy who is pegging the cute meter despite an unfettered affinity for expensive shoes....

Here's Rhody at 11 lbs (10 weeks)

rhodyweb.jpg

and today at 20 lbs (3 weeks later)

June20, 2011web.jpg

Mom was an Aussie and dad is a standard poodle. We're still adjusting to puppy mode at my house and sorely wishing we had concrete floors with drains in every room.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Give us a better picture when you get a chance please.
Yes, please do!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #354
Administrator

Kittens and puppies! What a great thread. So many lovely pets and I appreciate them all. But just to pick out three posts with photos,

Love your new kitty, Sarah, and Biscuit is beautiful.

Janet, your puppy looks so snuggly and huggable.

I think that possibly that is the most beautiful black cat I have ever seen, Major Tom.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I thought I had posted this - but maybe not...
We have a new puppy who is pegging the cute meter despite an unfettered affinity for expensive shoes....

Here's Rhody at 11 lbs (10 weeks)

Attachment 11951

and today at 20 lbs (3 weeks later)

Attachment 11952

Mom was an Aussie and dad is a standard poodle. We're still adjusting to puppy mode at my house and sorely wishing we had concrete floors with drains in every room.

Rhody goes off the scale on the cuteness meter Congrats Janet!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #356
Dryer sheet aficionado

I lost my beloved Maine Coon cat Aldo two months ago. I loved that cat more than, well, many people I know. My comfort comes from knowing how much I doted on him and how much he enjoyed it. We went for daily walks (he wore a leash), he had a heated sleeping pad for cold winter nights, and he was the apply of my eye. When I get situated in my new housing, I will honor Aldo by getting two new kitties from the local shelter, hopefully part or all Maine Coons.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #357
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
I lost my beloved Maine Coon cat Aldo two months ago. I loved that cat more than, well, many people I know. My comfort comes from knowing how much I doted on him and how much he enjoyed it. We went for daily walks (he wore a leash), he had a heated sleeping pad for cold winter nights, and he was the apply of my eye. When I get situated in my new housing, I will honor Aldo by getting two new kitties from the local shelter, hopefully part or all Maine Coons.
Rest in Peace sweet Aldo. It's wonderful to know you plan to honor him by providing a home for two homeless kitties. I totally understand being attracted to Maine Coons - they are amazing. Even so, I'd recommend focusing on the personality and fit into your household more than looks or breed. What you really want it another beloved companion - or two.

Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, you may want to check out Petfinder when you're ready. Give yourself some time though.

www.petfinder.com
Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #358

Janet H - the funny thing is, that when they're as cute as that, it's hard to get mad with them when they scratch or chew up your belongings - and your pup does look like he could get away with an awful lot with that cute factor!

Inkitnow - so sorry to hear of your loss. For the very small amount of effort they take to look after, pets give back so much. You obviously absolutely adored him.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #359
Give me a forum ...

I shared my life with my Comet for 15 years. He was a rescue kitty and I fell in love the first time I laid eyes on him.

Today...I had to have him put down. I know in my heart it was the right thing to do, but damn...it sure does hurt.

He's no longer at home with me, but he's still in my heart...and always will be.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #360
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sad day...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote