Animals we share our lives with

R.I.P Griffey (see Avatar)

Our beloved black lab Griffey died peacefully in her sleep last night. She was a great dog for our family for 11 wonderful years. She played with her tennis ball till the very end and provided us with years of unconditional love. Please say a little prayer for her.

Sorry to hear, RockyMtn...prayers and thoughts with you.

My youngest son wanted a puppy for Christmas, and stubbornly would not accept anything else. This dog-lover was only happy to oblige, so see Brady below. She is a Wheaton and was 8wks when we got her in mid-December. Wonderful puppy - very smart and eager to please. Our 4yr old Tibetan is not convinced we made a good decision.

img_1146928_0_02ccabe76d48e6f7d087d294484b4b1e.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Griffey, she looks like a sweet lab in your avatar pic. I lost my previous lab (Smokes) a few years ago at almost 14 years so I know it is not an easy time for you.

We adopted a new kitty just before Christmas... it is a Russian Blue (or European Blue as the lady said who knows for sure)...

Now, our 9 yo cat hates the new one... and the new one wants to play with any cat and there is only one around...

Hope the two cats get along soon... I think it will be the old one who loses the battle... she has no claws so the young one thinks she is playing when she is not...

But, the new kitty has a great personality... and she loves kids... my daughter pushes her around in her doll stroller... and the cat LETS HER... heck, I think she likes it as we have seen her jump into it a couple of times....

In the category of things our pets do that amuse us...

At 15½, our old girl dog has started to sleep with her tongue stuck out sometimes. Why now after all these years?

And last week, twice I found her softly growling in her sleep. It wasn't snoring or breathing, actually growling. I guess whoever she was dreaming about was irritating her...

After living with dogs our entire adult lives, they never cease to find new ways to make us smile or laugh...

And last week, twice I found her softly growling in her sleep. It wasn't snoring or breathing, actually growling. I guess whoever she was dreaming about was irritating her...

My lab (Coal) is almost nine now and does this as well. I often hear a low growl and/or very soft barking when he sleeps. The barking is strange since he rarely barks when awake -- he has been with me for almost 4 years and has barked only twice that I am aware of, both times were when someone knocked on the door and I was in another room (his bark was the only reason I knew someone was at the door).

My lab (Coal) is almost nine now and does this as well. I often hear a low growl and/or very soft barking when he sleeps. The barking is strange since he rarely barks when awake -- he has been with me for almost 4 years and has barked only twice that I am aware of, both times were when someone knocked on the door and I was in another room (his bark was the only reason I knew someone was at the door).

Good for you for adopting an adult dog. It's so hard to find homes for them. Plus black dogs are not popular for adoption. I don't understand this. IMHO, black cats and dogs are beautiful. Here's a list about the benefits of black dogs:

Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Dog

10. Black dogs are easy to find in the snow.

9. Black dogs absorb heat...perfect for cozying up to on a cold winter night.

8. A black dog can make you appear thinner.

7. Black dogs excel at night time games of hide and seek.

6. Black dogs never look dirty.

5. Black goes with everything so your black dog will always be coordinated with your clothing and furniture.

4. A black dog always look presentable at any formal occasion.

3. Black is a combination of every color in the spectrum so you actually have a dog who is brown, gold, red, etc.

2. Black dog hair becomes invisible when stuck to your good black wool coat.

AND THE #1 REASON TO ADOPT A BLACK DOG ... A BLACK DOG IS JUST AS LOVING, LOYAL AND TRUST WORTHY AS A WHITE, BROWN OR RED DOG, BUT THESE GUYS ARE THE MOST OFTEN OVERLOOKED. BLACK DOGS NEED HOMES TOO.

Many people do not realize that black dogs especially large ones are the hardest dogs to adopt out. Generally a deaf, blind, and old small white or brown dog will be easier to adopt out then a perfectly healthy black lab. So when you choose to bring another dog into your family, please don't forget the dogs that are so used to being forgotten.

(source: Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Dog or a Black Cat | Facebook)

Yep, our old girl barks in her sleep occasionally too, always accompanied with "running" - all dog owners have probably seen the latter. Fun stuff...

Midpack said:
Yep, our old girl barks in her sleep occasionally too,

I hope it doesn't wake up your dog.

I am snake guy. I have been keeping and breeding snakes since 1964. For the last 20 years I have specialized in Rainbow Boas. This one is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Epicrates cenchria that was born here in november. She is lighter and brighter colored than typical for this species.
400679991.jpg

400679992.jpg

Good for you for adopting an adult dog. It's so hard to find homes for them. Plus black dogs are not popular for adoption. I don't understand this. IMHO, black cats and dogs are beautiful. Here's a list about the benefits of black dogs:

Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Dog

9. Black dogs absorb heat...perfect for cozying up to on a cold winter night.

6. Black dogs never look dirty.

AND THE #1 REASON TO ADOPT A BLACK DOG ... A BLACK DOG IS JUST AS LOVING, LOYAL AND TRUST WORTHY AS A WHITE, BROWN OR RED DOG, BUT THESE GUYS ARE THE MOST OFTEN OVERLOOKED. BLACK DOGS NEED HOMES TOO.

Many people do not realize that black dogs especially large ones are the hardest dogs to adopt out. Generally a deaf, blind, and old small white or brown dog will be easier to adopt out then a perfectly healthy black lab. So when you choose to bring another dog into your family, please don't forget the dogs that are so used to being forgotten.

(source: Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Dog or a Black Cat | Facebook)

I agree with the above. Mine is a good bed buddy on a cold night. And I certainly don't bathe him nearly as often as my old golden retriever. Just doesn't need it.

It is hard to figure why black dogs are over looked in adoptions. To me, they are just as good looking as any other color.

img_1160806_0_64fb0cf1aa9492845e0a2baa9e21cae8.jpg

I am snake guy. I have been keeping and breeding snakes since 1964. For the last 20 years I have specialized in Rainbow Boas. This one is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Epicrates cenchria that was born here in november. She is lighter and brighter colored than typical for this species.
400679991.jpg

400679992.jpg
jclarksnakes, that snake is spectacular! What a beauty.

Purron I am surprised that black dogs are harder to place, I prefer them. I think black dogs are beautiful but then so are all the other colors tho I prefer black!

Two of the three dogs we've loved in our home were black. I heard somewhere that black is the most common color of dogs so maybe statistically they are more difficult to place because there are more of them.

Last edited:
Two of the three dogs we've loved in our home were black. I heard somewhere that black is the most common color of dogs so maybe statistically they are more difficult to place because there are more of them.

I think part the reason black pets are not popular is because of superstition. Especially with black cats. This wikipedia article addresses the "luck" issue with black cats. Interesting they're considered good luck in some cultures such as Japan and Great Britain. Black cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I take it back on the bathing. I took him for our normal walk at the local state park today and he found a dead fish to roll on top of. Before that...... some horse manure. He's clean now, but I'm not.

I take it back on the bathing. I took him for our normal walk at the local state park today and he found a dead fish to roll on top of. Before that...... some horse manure. He's clean now, but I'm not.
Maybe he was just ready for a bath...

I'm really glad that my labs (past or present) have never shown any interest in rolling on anything stinky -- Coal will sometimes roll in the grass on his back, I assume to scratch an itch, but so far has managed to stay out of the nasty stuff.

You haven't lived until you've had a dog that likes to roll around on dead skunks.

Maybe he was just ready for a bath...

I'm really glad that my labs (past or present) have never shown any interest in rolling on anything stinky -- Coal will sometimes roll in the grass on his back, I assume to scratch an itch, but so far has managed to stay out of the nasty stuff.

Your lucky. My old golden retriever did the same thing. Oh well......I've been known to roll on top of my empty med cans. :blush:

Dogs are wonderful and loving souls. But they sure do love some stink;)

I'd post "Stink Foot" by Zappa here if it wasn't so naughty. "Here Fido".

Last edited:
I haven't had a dog in 40 years, but if my fading memories are correct the toy poodle I had back then never seemed to get into stinky stuff and seemed to like smelling fresh, sweet, and civilized. She only went outside on a leash, so that probably helped.

If I ever got another dog, it would be a toy poodle! They are so sweet and loving.

I haven't had a dog in 40 years, but if my fading memories are correct the toy poodle I had back then never seemed to get into stinky stuff and seemed to like smelling fresh, sweet, and civilized. She only went outside on a leash, so that probably helped.

If I ever got another dog, it would be a toy poodle! They are so sweet and loving.

Yeah, but I admire a dog who isn't afraid to take on some stink.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom