Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
we tried leashes. We even have one that takes his collar off when at home. He is belled here in Mexico and accepts that.
Used reverse psychology with our cat when we were RVing......if he was on his leash and I wanted to go to the right....I'd start off by heading left and his contrary nature made him say "No..we're going to the right".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Used reverse psychology with our cat when we were RVing......if he was on his leash and I wanted to go to the right....I'd start off by heading left and his contrary nature made him say "No..we're going to the right".
That was one of the training ideas that was taught by a local pet trainer where my dog and I went for a class. It does work. I tried it the other day on the trail we were walking. The only problem was I looked like I was the one needing training since it appeared I didn't know what way to go.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #543
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today was supposed to be "snip snip" (getting fixed) day for two 6 month old kittens that I'll be taking in. But only one (female) got fixed today. The male kitty had a slight fever, so the vet gave him some antibiotics to hopefully get the fever down and try again tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #544

In December my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter are going to Brazil for two months. In moment of sheer stupidity I said "why don't you leave your dogs with us while you are gone?" They have two Australian shepherd mixes, each about 40 pounds and very active. They are basically good dogs and I have gotten to know them well on our visits to North Carolina. But now I am realizing that I will have to walk them several times a day during the type of winter weather that I really hate. On top of that, now DW has scheduled her hip replacement surgery in January while the dogs will be here. I am very apprehensive about trying to take care of her during her recuperation and also doing right by the dogs. I've been telling myself that even with the minimum attention from me, the dogs will still be happier than if they were boarded in a kennel for two months.

All of my pets have been cats. I have no experience of living with dogs for an extended period.

Any advice from those of you who regularly share your lives with dogs will be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Any advice from those of you who regularly share your lives with dogs will be appreciated.
As our trainer, from years ago, used to say - "A tired puppy is a trouble free puppy".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #546

Grumpy, the pups are likely to settle into your lifestyle rather quickly, so long as you keep their minds active. Like most herding type dogs, they need a good bit of exercise, but mostly they need to "do" something.
Your willingness to care for them is a huge relief to the kids, I promise. One of the real agonies of trying to plan any kind of travel is who I can get to watch the mammals while we are gone.
During the most intensive part of the hip replacement recovery, consider getting a young person to handle the dog walking--an enterprising neighborhood kid can be a great resource if you can find a good one.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Grumpy, the pups are likely to settle into your lifestyle rather quickly, so long as you keep their minds active. Like most herding type dogs, they need a good bit of exercise, but mostly they need to "do" something.
Your willingness to care for them is a huge relief to the kids, I promise. One of the real agonies of trying to plan any kind of travel is who I can get to watch the mammals while we are gone.
During the most intensive part of the hip replacement recovery, consider getting a young person to handle the dog walking--an enterprising neighborhood kid can be a great resource if you can find a good one.

Sarah,

Thanks for the advice. Since we live in a "55 or better" community, that enterprising neighbor is a woman who does dog walking as a business. I've already talked to her and she will help out if I need her.

One concern with trying to give the dogs enough exercise - Penny, the older dog, if let off the leash, will sprint headlong through fences, bushes, thorns, etc. when she catches a scent and has often injured herself. My son no longer lets her off leash at all. He has a large fenced yard where the dogs can run but I do not. Butters, the younger dog loves to chase and fetch (sticks or a ball) and will run himself ragged for as long as anyone will throw. There is a large open area a block from our house where we can do the fetch thing so that should keep Butters tired and happy.

I'm going to try to find a local ball field or other fenced area where I could occasionally take Penny to run around in a safe environment.

The other concern I have is that both dogs insist on barking forcefully when anyone passes by the house or comes to the door. Anyone have any experience with shock collar to curb that kind of barking?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #548
Dryer sheet wannabe

Throw a can full of pennies and gently hit the dog when he/she is barking away.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Throw a can full of pennies and gently hit the dog when he/she is barking away.
If you don't believe in hitting your dogs, which I don't, you should instead just forcefully shake the can of coins near them along with a stern verbal command (we use a deep, growly "HEYYYYY" or "WROOONG"). This can lead to simply using the voice command, after they make the association.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #550

Grumpy, at their ages, I'd probably not want to add a bark collar unless your family would start using it before they come to your house. There will be enough stress on them just changing households to start something like bark training, especially with you being a novice. I've seen them used effectively, but generally in experienced hands.

But, what does work, and was mentioned, is distracting the dogs when they bark. A rattled can, a biscuit pulled out of a pocket, a squeaky toy, etc. will all do the same thing, change their obsession from the people outside to what they have right in front of them.

Glad to help!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #551
Give me a forum ...

Got myself a Litter Locker II system for the two kittens:

http://www.amazon.com/Litter-Locker-...1809431&sr=8-1

Overall, I'm satisfied.

I found out that the manufacturer also makes the Diaper Genie. So, in a way, this is a Diaper Genie for cats.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #552

R.I.P Griffey (see Avatar)

Our beloved black lab Griffey died peacefully in her sleep last night. She was a great dog for our family for 11 wonderful years. She played with her tennis ball till the very end and provided us with years of unconditional love. Please say a little prayer for her.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #553
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear, RockyMtn...prayers and thoughts with you.

My youngest son wanted a puppy for Christmas, and stubbornly would not accept anything else. This dog-lover was only happy to oblige, so see Brady below. She is a Wheaton and was 8wks when we got her in mid-December. Wonderful puppy - very smart and eager to please. Our 4yr old Tibetan is not convinced we made a good decision.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #554
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to hear about Griffey, she looks like a sweet lab in your avatar pic. I lost my previous lab (Smokes) a few years ago at almost 14 years so I know it is not an easy time for you.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #555

Thanks folks....she was a very special dog and brought a lot of joy to our lives!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #556
Give me a forum ...

We adopted a new kitty just before Christmas... it is a Russian Blue (or European Blue as the lady said who knows for sure)...

Now, our 9 yo cat hates the new one... and the new one wants to play with any cat and there is only one around...

Hope the two cats get along soon... I think it will be the old one who loses the battle... she has no claws so the young one thinks she is playing when she is not...

But, the new kitty has a great personality... and she loves kids... my daughter pushes her around in her doll stroller... and the cat LETS HER... heck, I think she likes it as we have seen her jump into it a couple of times....
Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #557
Give me a forum ...

In the category of things our pets do that amuse us...

At 15½, our old girl dog has started to sleep with her tongue stuck out sometimes. Why now after all these years?

And last week, twice I found her softly growling in her sleep. It wasn't snoring or breathing, actually growling. I guess whoever she was dreaming about was irritating her...

After living with dogs our entire adult lives, they never cease to find new ways to make us smile or laugh...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #558
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And last week, twice I found her softly growling in her sleep. It wasn't snoring or breathing, actually growling. I guess whoever she was dreaming about was irritating her...
My lab (Coal) is almost nine now and does this as well. I often hear a low growl and/or very soft barking when he sleeps. The barking is strange since he rarely barks when awake -- he has been with me for almost 4 years and has barked only twice that I am aware of, both times were when someone knocked on the door and I was in another room (his bark was the only reason I knew someone was at the door).
Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #559
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
My lab (Coal) is almost nine now and does this as well. I often hear a low growl and/or very soft barking when he sleeps. The barking is strange since he rarely barks when awake -- he has been with me for almost 4 years and has barked only twice that I am aware of, both times were when someone knocked on the door and I was in another room (his bark was the only reason I knew someone was at the door).
Good for you for adopting an adult dog. It's so hard to find homes for them. Plus black dogs are not popular for adoption. I don't understand this. IMHO, black cats and dogs are beautiful. Here's a list about the benefits of black dogs:

Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Dog

10. Black dogs are easy to find in the snow.

9. Black dogs absorb heat...perfect for cozying up to on a cold winter night.

8. A black dog can make you appear thinner.

7. Black dogs excel at night time games of hide and seek.

6. Black dogs never look dirty.

5. Black goes with everything so your black dog will always be coordinated with your clothing and furniture.

4. A black dog always look presentable at any formal occasion.

3. Black is a combination of every color in the spectrum so you actually have a dog who is brown, gold, red, etc.

2. Black dog hair becomes invisible when stuck to your good black wool coat.

AND THE #1 REASON TO ADOPT A BLACK DOG ... A BLACK DOG IS JUST AS LOVING, LOYAL AND TRUST WORTHY AS A WHITE, BROWN OR RED DOG, BUT THESE GUYS ARE THE MOST OFTEN OVERLOOKED. BLACK DOGS NEED HOMES TOO.

Many people do not realize that black dogs especially large ones are the hardest dogs to adopt out. Generally a deaf, blind, and old small white or brown dog will be easier to adopt out then a perfectly healthy black lab. So when you choose to bring another dog into your family, please don't forget the dogs that are so used to being forgotten.

(source: Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Dog or a Black Cat | Facebook)
Old 02-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #560
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Yep, our old girl barks in her sleep occasionally too, always accompanied with "running" - all dog owners have probably seen the latter. Fun stuff...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote