Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #641

Awwwh, buckeye, I'm so sorry for your loss.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #642
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buckeye, your Abby looks a lot like my Pancake (boss found her as a tiny kitten one freezing night beside the IHOP--she even smelled like kitchen grease) who is about 5 years old.

I've lost several to kidney disease and it is a credit to you that she did not suffer too long with this illness. Please know you did right by her in your care.

I am so sorry for your loss. Though it is hard to imagine now, please when you are ready take another trip up to the shelter. This time of year is always tough for them.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #643
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Buckeye, your Abby looks a lot like my Pancake (boss found her as a tiny kitten one freezing night beside the IHOP--she even smelled like kitchen grease) who is about 5 years old.

I've lost several to kidney disease and it is a credit to you that she did not suffer too long with this illness. Please know you did right by her in your care.

I am so sorry for your loss. Though it is hard to imagine now, please when you are ready take another trip up to the shelter. This time of year is always tough for them.
Yes, I'm pretty sure we will be shelter shopping again. I have said before I'm going to stay pet free and enjoy my freedom but then I start missing something soft and fuzzy that purrs. It takes about 30 days.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #644

Buckeye, so sorry for your loss. We're into puppies but it hurts to see them leave your life. You have to take solace in that you made their life better while they were in your care. We still miss all our puppies that had to leave us. In the future we will only do rescues. All the best to you.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #645
Full time employment: Posting here.

What Sarah said - the shelters and rescues are popping with kittens right now, and there are a lot of young (and old) adults that get passed over. There is pretty much never a time when you can't find a kitty who needs you.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What Sarah said - the shelters and rescues are popping with kittens right now, and there are a lot of young (and old) adults that get passed over. There is pretty much never a time when you can't find a kitty who needs you.
Some of our apt complex (55+) residents work at the local shelter and they have arranged "adopt an adult cat" events held at our clubhouse. If the resident doesn't already have a pet, the complex waives the $200 pet deposit to encourage adoption. That's pretty awesome for a company to do! We would definitely go the adult cat route. We live on the second floor in 1050 sq feet so we need a cat that likes to lay around on a cat tower and survey her kingdom from the screened lanai.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #647

So sorry, it is so difficult when we lose our pets. They are part of our family.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #648

Sorry to hear about your pet! Two years ago I put down my dog and cat in the same year, months apart. It's heart breaking. Well now I have two cats (who do not get along) one from the shelter and one from the Humane's Society and 11 betta fish!
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #649
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea
Sorry to hear about your pet! Two years ago I put down my dog and cat in the same year, months apart. It's heart breaking. Well now I have two cats (who do not get along) one from the shelter and one from the Humane's Society and 11 betta fish!
Awww, I know all about that! Of my six, four of them only get along in pairs, and two hate all the rest. Ah well, at least they like me! But I'm also guessing those 11betas don't get along either!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #650

Yeah 11 Siamese Fighting fish all separate but all different and beautiful ( tried to download photos to album but can't seem to figure it out with this Mac). One cat is Siamese and one is Siamese/tabby mix. I keep them separate with baby gates. Although I've had a few battles.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #651
Recycles dryer sheets

I am so sorry for your loss, Buckeye.
WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
The one thing she would not patiently wait for was a head scratch from my husband. When she strolled into her "parking" space beside his chair (she hated to be held or sit in your lap), she'd give him about 5 seconds to reach down and scratch her head. If he didn't move fast enough she would reach up and tap him on the arm. She had him well-trained!
Sorry for your loss, Buckeye. She was a darling.

We have 2 boys that we got as kittens in 1997. The brothers are now 15! They both have similar tasks that they have delegated to their servants. One sits in DW's lap for his pets. The other goes to our bed at night and expects me to come in and pet him. If it is time, he comes to the LR to herd me in.

One has arthritis in his left rear leg and so his leaps onto furniture have become less artful. A sure sign of age.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #653
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had to put my shelter kitty, Abby, to sleep today. She stopped eating completely on Saturday and drinking on Sunday morning. The vet took one look in her mouth this morning and saw sores so she knew Abby had kidney failure. I think Abby was about 9 old but it's hard to say since she was brought to the shelter as a stray. We have had her 4.5 years and she lived in FL and OH.

The vet offered to do tests if I wanted but it was obvious Abby wasn't going to get well. They quoted two blood tests, urine test, and the exam for $133 which I thought was very reasonable. There was no pressure. I asked the vet if the tests would tell her anything material she didn't already know and she said "no" so the decision was made. The final cost was $65.

It came on very suddenly. Friday she was fine but she didn't eat her dinner. Saturday she didn't eat at all but was still drinking. She took her last pee Sunday morning and had no interest in eating or drinking and was sleeping with her head held up off the floor. Heartbreaking. I knew it was serious. Her breath was awful.

I taught her how to shake and lay down for a treat which she learned in just a couple of days. Smart kitty. Here are two pictures of her from better days.

So sorry to hear about your cat... and she looks almost like our rescue cat...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Sorry for your loss, Buckeye. She was a darling.

The other goes to our bed at night and expects me to come in and pet him. If it is time, he comes to the LR to herd me in.
I have never seen a cat do this bedtime herding thing before but Abby did it to my husband! About 10:40 - 11 pm she would decide it was time for him to go to bed and she was very persistent. It was really funny to watch. We really miss her.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
So sorry to hear about your cat... and she looks almost like our rescue cat...
The tabby markings on the head, back and tail and white on the legs and belly is something I started to notice once we had Abby. Seems like I see those markings on kitties in commercials and pet food packaging. I love the "cowboys herding cats" commercial and there is a cat with these markings near the end of the video riding on the horse with the cowboy. We really miss her.

I made a video of her doing her shake trick and now realize I should have taken more videos of her. I never thought we would lose her so soon. My last two cats lived to 15 and 20 years old. You just never know about tomorrow and that applies to everything and everybody we love.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I'm pretty sure we will be shelter shopping again. I have said before I'm going to stay pet free and enjoy my freedom but then I start missing something soft and fuzzy that purrs. It takes about 30 days.
So sorry you lost your beloved kitty. Happy to hear a needy cat may find a home with you in the future. That will be one lucky kitty for sure!

Purrs and headbumps,

Purron
Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #657

Cats you gotta love them.

cats and chairs 002.jpg
Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #658

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had several kitties pass away from kidney disease. I know it breaks your heart.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Cats you gotta love them.

Attachment 14562
I'm so jealous!

So, what's the title of the book? Do I see the "d" word?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had several kitties pass away from kidney disease. I know it breaks your heart.
I think it's been so hard because her passing was unexpeced and happened so fast. Everything seems to be fine Friday morning and she's gone Monday morning. Unless she got into something (and we have no idea what it would have been), she must have been in a physical decline that we did not see. I was very sad when my 20-year old cat had to be put to sleep but that was a long process.