Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #761
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We see turkey families all the time out by our place, but I'm never quick enough to get all of them in a picture!
I just posted one to the Duck & Bird Photos thread. We get families/flocks up to about 12-15 (this one is smaller).

Tyro

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #762
Full time employment: Posting here.

My current therapy dog...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Therapy Dog.jpg (37.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Share PB.png (994.1 KB, 7 views)

Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #763
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

She's laying down but really no right leg shown.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #764
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heh heh heh... I was sure that many would have said this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Is her name 'Tripod'? Pretty cat.
Thank you for the compliment. I wish Mimi could read this post. No, not a good idea. She would put on air even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
She's laying down but really no right leg shown.
Yes, we have a winner! Regarding the front right leg of my kitty, when she lays down most of the times you don't see it, a few times you do.

See photo below. Tada!

It is just her peculiar way of tucking in one front leg when she lays down. I thought that it was always the right leg, then this morning I saw that it was the left leg. She moved before I got my camera though.

She also has another pose, which I have not captured yet. My wife called it the "Cleopatra pose". It looks like the pose below, but with her head and shoulders propped up by a pillow, so that she could observe what we were doing.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #765
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
She also has another pose, which I have not captured yet. My wife called it the "Cleopatra pose". It looks like the pose below, but with her head and shoulders propped up by a pillow, so that she could observe what we were doing.

She is beautiful! It's obvious she's well cared for and quite the princess
Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #766
Give me a forum ...

Ah, now that you thought she looked like a princess, I have to tell the rest of the story.

Well, after we lost our earlier cat, a beautiful all-white Angora with pink ears and blue eyes and a very sweet temper, we saw a photo of Mimi in the local paper for adoption. The agency named her "Queen Bee". Why was that? It was because she could not get along with any other cat. Indeed, when we saw her, she was hissing and making a big fuss. Most people passed her up, despite her pretty look. The cat shelter said that she should be the sole cat in the house, which was fine with us because we never have more than one.

When we adopted her, the agency said that she came with the fee reduced to 50%, plus we could return her within 30 days if she did not work out. And we only had to come back to pay after we decided to keep her. Wow! That tells you how bad her demeanor was.

She was less than 1-year old then, had a name tag from the previous owner, was spayed, and declawed. We never knew what happened to her earlier, but wanted to give her a chance. Perhaps the previous owner did not care for her properly. She bit me twice within the first few days, but we could not see returning her.

It took a bit of time but she mellowed out. She's a lot better now. Still, pretty as she looks, she will bite your finger off to the knuckle if you touch her hind feet. You can touch her front feet, stroke her head, her back, but not the hind feet. Stay off her hind feet!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #767
Give me a forum ...

It was very kind of you to adopt a hard to place kitty like her. I've worked with many homeless cats and kittens at the shelter and my heart goes out to ones like her. I've found calico's tend to be "queen bees" and often do best alone. My mom has a pretty calico named Tipper. She can be a piece of work, especially at the vet. Mom loves her though and she's a great companion. Tipper also must be an only kitty - she gets very jealous of other animals.

Here's a picture I took of Tipper when mom was out of town. I took care of her and e-mailed this to mom so she could see Tipper was OK. She worries so about her beloved kitty when she's away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tipper1.JPG (451.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #768

She is a pretty cat. I thought she was missing her front right leg.

It's been my experience (and I have had a lot of cats) that females are more stand offish - stereotypical cat but males are more like dogs - very affectionate and follow you around. My sister has a male and he fits that to a tee.

YMMV.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #769
Give me a forum ...

Mimi was our first calico, and we were told that calicos had that trait.

Regarding her protective behavior of the hind feet, we theorized that perhaps she was accidentally stepped on in the past, and was fearful of getting hurt again.

So, my son proposed a therapy and he did carry it out. That is he would hold her so tight so she could not get away or bite, while massaging her hind feet to show that it did not hurt to be touched.

What do you know, after so many therapeutic sessions like that, it seemed to work and has desensitized her somewhat. The miserable meowing during the sessions has diminished as she was getting used to be manhandled.

Still, I am reluctant to touch those back feet.

PS. My earlier Angora was female and always wanted to be around people. The cat before that was male and also friendly. The current kitty has learned to come when called. Well, 50% of the time.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #770
Recycles dryer sheets

That's an interesting thought about the hind feet. Makes sense though. Cats are such interesting animals.
I had no idea they had such long lifespans. We recently had a member here lose a 20 year old cat, and a member on an Ag forum I visit lost his 23 year old cat this past week.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #771
Recycles dryer sheets

For you dog lovers, I happened across this on (of all places) a bird forum I visit. Pretty impressive dog.

"Downward Facing Dog" (Partner Exercise) - YouTube

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #772

I've begun the DH conditioning process to get another cat (Abby passed away about a month ago). I was on a website from a local shelter showing the cute kitties (older adults) and reading their "bios" to him. He complained about having to vacuum cat hair (which is true). Slowwwwwly but surely!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I've begun the DH conditioning process to get another cat (Abby passed away about a month ago). I was on a website from a local shelter showing the cute kitties (older adults) and reading their "bios" to him. He complained about having to vacuum cat hair (which is true). Slowwwwwly but surely!
So sorry about Abby. Hope this works out. Some lucky kitty might have a very special day soon! If it does work out, you must post pictures
Attached Images
File Type: gif mutts.gif (47.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #774
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For you dog lovers, I happened across this on (of all places) a bird forum I visit. Pretty impressive dog.

Kewl!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #775
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

Love it!!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #776

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Still, I am reluctant to touch those back feet.
About 15 years ago, at Why, AZ, we went to a small swap meet.....there was a guy from Oregon selling a few items from his truck bed......he had a couple, (mother/daughter), wolf crosses, and I asked if I could pet them.

He said OK and I stroked them both without incident....until....I touched the mother's feet and she warned me off in the proverbial "no uncertain terms".

"Oh geez", the owner said, "Even I can't touch their feet".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
So sorry about Abby. Hope this works out. Some lucky kitty might have a very special day soon! If it does work out, you must post pictures
I'm going through fur withdrawl!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #778
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I'm going through fur withdrawl!
We're not the only ones who must have kitties in our lives
Attached Images
File Type: png lennon.png (103.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg hemingway.jpg (78.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png zappa cat.png (145.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #779

Found this trio in the woods Sunday night! Couldn't catch feral mama though, but they are friendly and getting healthier every day! Eating like lions at the kill! Think I've got a good home for two, just need one more! Flame point Siamese is what my vet is thinking. Really pretty creamy color bodies. And so dang cute-haven't had kittens in a long time, not since my calico May was little.

image-2986541605.jpg

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #780
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC
Found this trio in the woods Sunday night! Couldn't catch feral mama though, but they are friendly and getting healthier every day! Eating like lions at the kill! Think I've got a good home for two, just need one more! Flame point Siamese is what my vet is thinking. Really pretty creamy color bodies. And so dang cute-haven't had kittens in a long time, not since my calico May was little.
Adorable!