Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
ooohh... yuk!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #842

Purron, I've seen some of those same things at my house with our real dogs and cat. Haha

Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #843

Am looking for a humane way to keep the geese from destroying my lawn.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #844

Build a pond on your neighbor's property.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #845
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

That's some lawn! I thought you were LBYM!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #846
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Move to a condo?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #847

Border collie, they love to herd things and they'll chase and harass the geese to the point your neighbor will also need one! As an aside, Canadian Geese will destroy your lawn. They rip up the grass and their dropping are greasy, polluting and damage the lawn they don't rip up. Get them off that grass asap.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #848

Eat a few of them... the others might get the message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #849

Oh... BTW... That! was not my lawn... My house is two streets and about $1.7 Million away... I just kinda like the house.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #850

Seriously on the border collie for the goose problem: see If there is a local dog agility club and ask for contacts with folks who participate with borders. You want someone whose dog is trained as a herder, but they sometimes do both.
Ideally you'd get someone to come and run the geese (not harm them) around some, and convince them a more peaceful place to camp exists elsewhere. Or you can ask at the local airstrip who they use. Border collies who do this kind of work regularly are called goose dogs and there are a handful of companies that off them to major commercial accounts.
Just be sure it is someone who has complete control over their dog to prevent harm to the geese, and not some yokel with a dog on a rope.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #851
Give me a forum ...

Now, I realize that most of us will never live with a cheetah, but I thought you might enjoy this beautiful video from National Geographic.

Cheetahs on the Edge--Director's Cut on Vimeo
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #852
Recycles dryer sheets

Attached Images
File Type: jpg losingyourteeth.jpg (30.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #853
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Feral hogs?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #854
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Boy, my lab would love chasing those geese away.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #855

Hey, does anyone here have any experience with Vizsla dogs?

DW has decided on a Boston Terrier as her shadow and lap dog. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I've been thinking about a Vizsla to keep me company on my runs and bike rides and other outdoor activities. I had my first encounter with one of these beautiful dogs last summer when we went camping. A woman was sitting outside the lake shop with her son's dog and I stopped to chat with her. She said that they were very clean dogs, and didn't have that "doggy smell".

Just curious if there was any experience with them, and if there was any advice or issues to be aware of. Thanks in advance.

R
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #856

Our new kitty found us!

Another student at school (I've gone back to college to get my teaching certificate to teach middle grades math but that's for another post) was asking everyone who walked by (her class was stuck in the hallway waiting for the instructor to show up) if they wanted a cat. She took in this stray cat about 6 weeks ago but her existing cat and the new cat are not getting along.

We lost Abby about 4 months ago and recently I've started feeling like it's time to adopt another cat. DH wasn't ready but when I texted him these photos (he's in Jersey City for 3 weeks with the Red Cross for Sandy), he said this one would do. Five years ago, we almost adopted a cat identical to this one from the shelter (instead of Abby) but it turned out he was spoken for and hadn't gone to his new home yet because he was getting treatment for ear mites.

This one is a female and I thought the student said she was 3-4 years old. Saturday is the day. I wondered how our new kitty was going to find us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gray Kitty Mug Shot.jpg (314.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Gray Kitty.jpg (228.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #857
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Another student at school (I've gone back to college to get my teaching certificate to teach middle grades math but that's for another post) was asking everyone who walked by (her class was stuck in the hallway waiting for the instructor to show up) if they wanted a cat. She took in this stray cat about 6 weeks ago but her existing cat and the new cat are not getting along.

We lost Abby about 4 months ago and recently I've started feeling like it's time to adopt another cat. DH wasn't ready but when I texted him these photos (he's in Jersey City for 3 weeks with the Red Cross for Sandy), he said this one would do. Five years ago, we almost adopted a cat identical to this one from the shelter (instead of Abby) but it turned out he was spoken for and hadn't gone to his new home yet because he was getting treatment for ear mites.

This one is a female and I thought the student said she was 3-4 years old. Saturday is the day. I wondered how our new kitty was going to find us!
Lucky girl to have found you!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #858
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

She looks just like our girl!!! Hope yours is a friendly as ours....

We are probably going in the next week or two to get a kitten... for some reason DW wants to get a 'baby' for our cat
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #859
Recycles dryer sheets

To Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Hey, does anyone here have any experience with Vizsla dogs?

Just curious if there was any experience with them, and if there was any advice or issues to be aware of. Thanks in advance.

R
My friend is on her second Vizsla. Beautiful dogs, very short hair, looks like mink to me. Smart, strong, energetic, need LOTS of exercise. LOTS. They are bred to hunt (and point). Will keep your yard free of critters and bring you dead you-name-its as presents. I think there are some diseases inherent in the breed so you need to understand that.

They are so friendly, they love to jump on people, and since they are not small dogs, they need adequate training or they can just about knock you over. They also are velcro-dogs and want to be with you every second. I think a second dog-buddy is a good idea if you don't have the time to give them the attention they want.

That's my perspective from an observational point. I like visiting them but the energy level and size are not my cup of tea... I'm a beagle person myself. For me it was helpful to know about the breed prior to getting my first one. You can find lots on the breed by doing a web search.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #860

The last Vizsla I remember meeting had a propensity for jumping on top of the refrigerator. An awesome dog, but serious exercise and training discipline needed. Beautiful though.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote