Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #861
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a Vizsla puppy for about six months and had to re-home it. That dog was bat-s**t crazy and impossible to train because it could not pay attention for more than 5 seconds ("LOOK - a squirrel! LOOK - a falling leaf! LOOK - a bird!). It was a sweet dog, but way too high strung.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #862
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks all for the pointers on the Vizsla. I'm going to need to give this a little more thought. Our Golden, 16 years ago, was pretty high strung...leaves, butterflies, anything that moved, he had to check it out. I loved him but DW won't allow a golden in the house due to he hair and shedding. Regardless of the breed, I think you have to exercise them well if you want them to be well behaved.

R

Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #863
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's a list of laid back dog breeds from Animal Planet:

Laid-Back Dog Breeds : Dog Breed Selector : Animal Planet
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #864
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Here's a list of laid back dog breeds from Animal Planet:

Laid-Back Dog Breeds : Dog Breed Selector : Animal Planet
They have French bulldogs on that list. They seem fairly hyper when I see them at the dog park...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #865
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Thanks all for the pointers on the Vizsla. I'm going to need to give this a little more thought. Our Golden, 16 years ago, was pretty high strung...leaves, butterflies, anything that moved, he had to check it out. I loved him but DW won't allow a golden in the house due to he hair and shedding. Regardless of the breed, I think you have to exercise them well if you want them to be well behaved.

R
FYI, Vizslas shed like crazy too...its just shorter, darker fur. We have two breeds currently that do not shed (Tibetan and soft coated Wheaten), both of which are pretty mellow dogs in our experience.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #866
Give me a forum ...

A spider to admire

I loved this story. A full life indeed! But she didn't get to ER, sadly......

Farewell, Little Space Spider | PBS NewsHour
Old 12-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #867

The website is hoaxslayer... and refers to the story that accompanies the pictures... "Feeding the Eagles".
Feeding the Eagles

The page shows pictures of an eagle feeding station in Homer Alaska. The pictures are amazing, including a short video.

We live 15 miles from Starved Rock in Illinois, which is a favorite Eagle Nesting/Spotting area, but even on the best days, it's rare to see more than 6 or 7 eagles soaring around the cliffs, although there have been more. Here's a pic from last year.

We have eagles around our retirement community in Florida, too, but usually no more than two pair, as they are very territorial.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #868
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
They have French bulldogs on that list. They seem fairly hyper when I see them at the dog park...
Well, it's Animal Planet. If you really want a mellow pet, my advice is to adopt a male orange tabby cat
Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron
If you really want a mellow pet, my advice is to adopt a male orange tabby cat
There is, in my extensive experience, no single finer piece of advice about pet ownership than this sentence. The male orange tabby cat is 100% guaranteed. Every one I've ever known was awesome.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #870

Hmmmm....I just got on the plane in SFO, so I'll check out animal planet later. I'm hoping for a dog that will run with me, but not be hyper in the house, doesn't shed much, barks when bad people come around but not when good people come around, look regal, fetch my slippers, etc. maybe I'm asking too much

I'd like to get a kitty as well, but I want one that will spend some time outdoors and do a little mouse control on our two acres, but still come in and cuddle on our lap when we are indoors. I'm guessing that Morris doesn't fit that role very well. Suggestions? We used to have a calico when I was a kid that was a great mouser, but not overly friendly, and a black cat that was a pretty good mouser, and super friendly. The blackie loved to bring us her prey as a present...

R
Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #871

Quote:
Hmmmm....I just got on the plane in SFO, so I'll check out animal planet later. I'm hoping for a dog that will run with me, but not be hyper in the house, doesn't shed much, barks when bad people come around but not when good people come around, look regal, fetch my slippers, etc. maybe I'm asking too much
Get a Border collie......then you'll have a chess partner when the weather's bad.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2
Get a Border collie......then you'll have a chess partner when the weather's bad.
Bad, bad, bad!
I think an orange cat is still your best bet on the cat front, but don't get a border collie unless you know what you're getting into!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #873

Quote:
R
2010 4th of July 015.JPG

This is Cooper Chow and something small mix. Mellow, but a great watchdog, loves people, can run 8 miles a day with ya, and doesn't mind dressing up for the Doo-Dah parade. Will fetch anything that looks like a plush toy caterpillar. Sorry he is taken.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #874

Thanks! Cool dog.

R
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #875

Quote:
I'm hoping for a dog that will run with me
hmmm... run?... pour moi, not a dog... perhaps a kitty?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #876
Dryer sheet wannabe

In Oklahoma, the turkey population has grown fast the last few years. I live out in the sticks, and they happen by pretty regular, usually not this many, though.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #877
Give me a forum ...

Some pets will even furniture shop for you.....this well dressed little guy's name is Darwin.

Toronto Ikea monkey a social media sensation - Toronto - CBC News

To quote Twitter: IKEA is a zoo on weekends!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #878
Give me a forum ...

Well, we just got another cat this weekend...

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24303183

So far, he is much different than our Russian Blue... when we got her home she was checking out EVERYTHING and wanting to get petted...

Tony has been hiding under our daughter's bed or dresser.... he will play a bit, and we can hear him purr.... but the only time he has come out was to go to the litter box and sleep a bit with our daughter... when he realized she woke up, he went back under the bed...

BUT, all the people at the adoption place said he was their favorite... he does seem to be very calm....
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #879

Texas, an excellent choice, the orange tabby! He will get used to you and then suddenly act like he owns the place, I bet. Give him a few days. I had one that did that--didn't even see him for 3 days then he came out from behind the sofa and sat on my lap.

Good for you to adopt such a nice looking fellow as Tony!

We have TONS of turkeys at our place, too. I counted 20 or 30 in the flock that passed by the other day. So neat!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #880
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, we just got another cat this weekend...

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24303183

So far, he is much different than our Russian Blue... when we got her home she was checking out EVERYTHING and wanting to get petted...

Tony has been hiding under our daughter's bed or dresser.... he will play a bit, and we can hear him purr.... but the only time he has come out was to go to the litter box and sleep a bit with our daughter... when he realized she woke up, he went back under the bed...

BUT, all the people at the adoption place said he was their favorite... he does seem to be very calm....

You adopted a homeless kitty from Petfinder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's beautiful. You're wonderful