Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #1001
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 22,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Is there an existing thread that discusses the costs (both financial and time) associated with pets in retirement? I haven't had a dog since I got married. Now that FIRE and an empty nest is on the horizon, DW and I have been discussing it, but we haven't done any planing budgeting for one. I know one cannot put a price on companionship - I'm just trying to look at the practical side of things.
There are health insurance policies available. Perhaps some members here have experience using them. Just getting some protection from the catastrophic expenses can make a big difference.
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #1002
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,417
Yes, I've heard the insurance can be a good choice, but usually you need to get it when they are puppies or kittens to make the cost benefit make sense. I've never purchased it, because all of mine just showed up at one time or another as older animals.
__________________

__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #1003
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,661
Some raccoons are very clever.

There is a short commercial before the raccoon clip.
Video: Clever Toronto raccoon masters tightrope walking - The Globe and Mail
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #1004
Full time employment: Posting here.
Tyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Upstate
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Is there an existing thread that discusses the costs (both financial and time) associated with pets in retirement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
I don't see why being retired would make any difference, except in a few minor cases of senior discounts. Size, OTOH, can make a difference. Otherwise, there are lots of sites that provide information on the cost of pet ownership:
cost of owning dog - Google Search?
I still don't see much difference in financial cost of pet ownership between w*rking & retirement, but as to time, we now have more of it to spend with good Ol' Furface... which has been to everyone's behoovement!

Tyro
__________________
Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man. ~ The Dude
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #1005
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 4,272
Yesterday, saw my first all-black squirrel. North Central Illinois. Not that rare, but a little unusual in this neck of the woods.
Also a pair of pied-billed grebes have taken up residence on our small lake, just as the ice went out. A fun experience, watching these guys dive down for 30 seconds or so, and then to watch to see where they come back up... a hundred feet away. Instead of popping up like loons or other diving birds, they just barely break the surface with the top of their heads, and look around to make sure it's safe to come up.
Waiting the return of our humming birds. Could they be same ones that we originally had 24 years ago? They don't tell us where they winter. Could be Texas? Hummingbird Migration Maps
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #1006
Full time employment: Posting here.
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
I still don't see much difference in financial cost of pet ownership between w*rking & retirement, but as to time, we now have more of it to spend with good Ol' Furface... which has been to everyone's behoovement!

Tyro
And that is the truth! I can't imagine life without my critters. They are such good company.

And now, to follow up on my post from 2 weeks ago: DH & I rationalized 9 ways to Sunday why we should NOT get another kitty. In the end, hearts trumped brains, and we brought home "Lucy". She is about 5 months old, and is a rescue. We have had her for a week.

We have 3 other cats. The 16 year old hisses and growls occasionally, and is mostly annoyed with her, but Lucy gets it and keeps her distance. The other two resident cats are both 2 years old. The one is scared of Lucy and hid for a few days. Now she's coming around, but won't get close yet. We have some hissing and growling there, too, but so far no contact. Lucy avoids her, too. The other 2 yo immediately designated herself as Lucy's immediate supervisor, and keeps a close eye on her. At first she just followed her around to make sure she knew what Lucy was doing every minute. In the past day or two, they have begun to play. I think it's all going to work out.

I don't know, 10-15 years from now when DH and I are 70-75, if we will be sorry we got the third cat. Probably so. But for now, she is a joy - sweet & cuddly, and loves to play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0582.jpg (540.7 KB, 11 views)
__________________
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #1007
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
And that is the truth! I can't imagine life without my critters. They are such good company.

And now, to follow up on my post from 2 weeks ago: DH & I rationalized 9 ways to Sunday why we should NOT get another kitty. In the end, hearts trumped brains, and we brought home "Lucy". She is about 5 months old, and is a rescue. We have had her for a week.

We have 3 other cats. The 16 year old hisses and growls occasionally, and is mostly annoyed with her, but Lucy gets it and keeps her distance. The other two resident cats are both 2 years old. The one is scared of Lucy and hid for a few days. Now she's coming around, but won't get close yet. We have some hissing and growling there, too, but so far no contact. Lucy avoids her, too. The other 2 yo immediately designated herself as Lucy's immediate supervisor, and keeps a close eye on her. At first she just followed her around to make sure she knew what Lucy was doing every minute. In the past day or two, they have begun to play. I think it's all going to work out.

I don't know, 10-15 years from now when DH and I are 70-75, if we will be sorry we got the third cat. Probably so. But for now, she is a joy - sweet & cuddly, and loves to play.
Lucy is a beautiful addition to your family!
__________________
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #1008
Recycles dryer sheets
keegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 407
Henry:

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...nagohome-1.jpg
__________________
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #1009
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
My wife's niece has an Airedale......calls it ALF after the TV show.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #1010
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cavalier
Posts: 2,275
catnip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catnip.jpg (84.1 KB, 27 views)
__________________
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #1011
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
And that is the truth! I can't imagine life without my critters. They are such good company.

And now, to follow up on my post from 2 weeks ago: DH & I rationalized 9 ways to Sunday why we should NOT get another kitty. In the end, hearts trumped brains, and we brought home "Lucy". She is about 5 months old, and is a rescue. We have had her for a week.

We have 3 other cats. The 16 year old hisses and growls occasionally, and is mostly annoyed with her, but Lucy gets it and keeps her distance. The other two resident cats are both 2 years old. The one is scared of Lucy and hid for a few days. Now she's coming around, but won't get close yet. We have some hissing and growling there, too, but so far no contact. Lucy avoids her, too. The other 2 yo immediately designated herself as Lucy's immediate supervisor, and keeps a close eye on her. At first she just followed her around to make sure she knew what Lucy was doing every minute. In the past day or two, they have begun to play. I think it's all going to work out.

I don't know, 10-15 years from now when DH and I are 70-75, if we will be sorry we got the third cat. Probably so. But for now, she is a joy - sweet & cuddly, and loves to play.
Love this. Such a lucky little girl.
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #1012
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
My kitty, Gabby. The cat who likes to play 10 hours a day. She needs to do more of this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-18 19.58.22.jpg (431.5 KB, 11 views)
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #1013
Full time employment: Posting here.
Calico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
My kitty, Gabby. The cat who likes to play 10 hours a day. She needs to do more of this!
She is beautiful! Is she a Russian Blue?
__________________
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #1014
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
She is beautiful! Is she a Russian Blue?
I can't decide if she is a Russian Blue. I got her from another student at college who found her as a stray so no one knows her complete history. The student found Gabby a new home because Gabby was driving her other cat nuts wanting to play ALL the time. Now Gabby drives two humans crazy wanting to play ALL the time!

The vet guessed she was 18-24 months when she went for her shots and check-up. You'd think she was a kitten. She woke up from that nap and chased wadded up paper balls for 30 minutes. If we don't play with her she paces and cries. We had already played with her for at least an hour during the day and taken her on two walks, one of them 35 minutes. She's a handful!
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #1015
Full time employment: Posting here.
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I can't decide if she is a Russian Blue. I got her from another student at college who found her as a stray so no one knows her complete history. The student found Gabby a new home because Gabby was driving her other cat nuts wanting to play ALL the time. Now Gabby drives two humans crazy wanting to play ALL the time!

The vet guessed she was 18-24 months when she went for her shots and check-up. You'd think she was a kitten. She woke up from that nap and chased wadded up paper balls for 30 minutes. If we don't play with her she paces and cries. We had already played with her for at least an hour during the day and taken her on two walks, one of them 35 minutes. She's a handful!
Gorgeous cat! Cats sure know how to crash when it's time. I can't remember if I posted this before, but when our Kizzy was young, she got into the cutest positions to sleep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3374.jpg (778.7 KB, 18 views)
__________________
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #1016
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
My kitty, Gabby. The cat who likes to play 10 hours a day. She needs to do more of this!

Your kitty looks like one of ours.... I wish she were a lap cat... she will sit at my feet on the recliner, but not up on the couch or lap...


I lost my lap cat last year... we got another cat, but he is a scardy cat and does not like to be held.... only had him 4 months now and he seems to be coming around... but slowly...

Hope yours does more lap sitting...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #1017
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Gorgeous cat! Cats sure know how to crash when it's time. I can't remember if I posted this before, but when our Kizzy was young, she got into the cutest positions to sleep.

Now THAT is a lap cat!!!
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #1018
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Your kitty looks like one of ours.... I wish she were a lap cat... she will sit at my feet on the recliner, but not up on the couch or lap...


I lost my lap cat last year... we got another cat, but he is a scardy cat and does not like to be held.... only had him 4 months now and he seems to be coming around... but slowly...

Hope yours does more lap sitting...
I will settle for her doing a little more sleeping anywhere! She's a cool cat because she will sit in your lap, lay on your chest, and let you throw her over your shoulder and carry her around. DH has taken her out for a walk. She usually captures a gecko to play with but apparently today she has found herself a snake to carry around. I told him to take a picture with his phone.
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #1019
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I will settle for her doing a little more sleeping anywhere! She's a cool cat because she will sit in your lap, lay on your chest, and let you throw her over your shoulder and carry her around. DH has taken her out for a walk. She usually captures a gecko to play with but apparently today she has found herself a snake to carry around. I told him to take a picture with his phone.
Here is Gabby with her snake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gabby with Snake.jpg (920.1 KB, 15 views)
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1020
Recycles dryer sheets
RitaR551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delta
Posts: 137
Here is our Mandy in the new little Toad Camper we just picked up. Mandy travels South with us for the winter, then back again. She settled right in the first night camping on our way home.



image-2094957525.jpg



image-1623004331.jpg
__________________

__________________
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fifteen Brand New Animals mickeyd Other topics 8 12-18-2008 10:14 PM
FDA says food from cloned animals is safe megacorp-firee Health and Early Retirement 5 01-15-2008 12:00 PM
No Kids, happier Lives?? FinanceDude Other topics 32 07-08-2007 09:28 AM
i saved two lives tonight lazygood4nothinbum Other topics 27 05-25-2007 10:13 AM
How Important IS TV In Our Lives Danny Other topics 29 11-18-2006 10:03 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.