Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #1021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaR551 View Post
Here is our Mandy in the new little Toad Camper we just picked up. Mandy travels South with us for the winter, then back again. She settled right in the first night camping on our way home.

Attachment 16431

Attachment 16432
Her very own cat house on wheels. Cool!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #1022
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

I can't decide if she is a Russian Blue. I got her from another student at college who found her as a stray so no one knows her complete history. The student found Gabby a new home because Gabby was driving her other cat nuts wanting to play ALL the time. Now Gabby drives two humans crazy wanting to play ALL the time!

The vet guessed she was 18-24 months when she went for her shots and check-up. You'd think she was a kitten. She woke up from that nap and chased wadded up paper balls for 30 minutes. If we don't play with her she paces and cries. We had already played with her for at least an hour during the day and taken her on two walks, one of them 35 minutes. She's a handful!

Gabby is lucky she ended up with you!

Of course, if she is demanding too much play time, you know the cure for that - another cat for her to play with! No such thing as too many cats.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Gabby is lucky she ended up with you!

Of course, if she is demanding too much play time, you know the cure for that - another cat for her to play with! No such thing as too many cats.
One cat and one husband or two cats and .......
Old 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

One cat and one husband or two cats and .......
Ahh, yes. One benefit to being single is that the only limit to number of pets is my budget and the "number of square feet/number of cats x personality quirks of said cats" equation. Used to have four, until the sweetheart in my avatar passed almost two years ago. Her son, a big orange tabby, is sitting next to me, and his two "adopted" sisters, also orange tabbies, are chasing each other around the house. Three is the perfect number for now.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Ahh, yes. One benefit to being single is that the only limit to number of pets is my budget and the "number of square feet/number of cats x personality quirks of said cats" equation. Used to have four, until the sweetheart in my avatar passed almost two years ago. Her son, a big orange tabby, is sitting next to me, and his two "adopted" sisters, also orange tabbies, are chasing each other around the house. Three is the perfect number for now.
I think this might be heaven on Earth!

The Cat House on the Kings

Kitty cats everywhere!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #1026
Administrator

We have just finished two weeks with our new girls - Madeline and Ramona. They are nine months old and we got them from the shelter in Norwalk, CT. They had been removed from an animal hoarding situation. They spent the first few days hiding under the funiture, but they appear to be adjusting quite nicely now. We can pet them both and hold one in the lap. We like them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3778.jpg (375.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3779.jpg (448.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We have just finished two weeks with our new girls - Madeline and Ramona. They are nine months old and we got them from the shelter in Norwalk, CT. They had been removed from an animal hoarding situation. They spent the first few days hiding under the funiture, but they appear to be adjusting quite nicely now. We can pet them both and hold one in the lap. We like them.

What sweet faces and beautiful markings they both have. Love to hear about happy adoptions of shelter kitties.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #1028
Recycles dryer sheets

My Springer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Molly.jpg (679.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #1029
Recycles dryer sheets

The kids, Spike in the front and Sophie in the back. They are at doggie daycare and just kicking back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kids.jpg (72.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #1030
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

We have a orange cat with the spot stripes.... I think they look nice.... he still does not like to be held after 4 months with us... but, he does like to be around us and will allow petting...

The other one looks softer.... bet she is the lap cat.....
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #1031

Gumby, I love the new kitties! Very pretty and good names!

And of course the pups are adorable, oldtrig and DFA!
I got a new foster dog, Rembrandt, this weekend, and he's a lovely boy.
Attached Images
File Type: png Rembrandt.png (324.4 KB, 195 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #1032
Confused about dryer sheets

My kayak companion - Razz M Tazz. Yeah, he has to wear the lifevest, he sinks like a rock without it. I thought all dogs could "paddle" but not the Razz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Razz & Kayak.jpg (159.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #1033
Give me a forum ...

OK, I need some help....

Our two cats have fleas.... We have used an Advantix generic (not sure if it is this one as I do not have the box with me) and also tried a pyrethrin based poison.... they still seem to be there...

My DW was expecting them to be dead within a day, but found about 5 hanging around one of our cat's nose.... the other is a Russian Blue, so you can not see anything even if she had them...

SOOO, what is the best thing to use? My DW wants to go to the vet, but I do not think they have anything we can not get...

Options? recommendations?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
My Springer
Awesome, this is Kelsey which we had to put down a year ago....

This is the new one, Morgan......................

Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK, I need some help....

Our two cats have fleas.... We have used an Advantix generic (not sure if it is this one as I do not have the box with me) and also tried a pyrethrin based poison.... they still seem to be there...

My DW was expecting them to be dead within a day, but found about 5 hanging around one of our cat's nose.... the other is a Russian Blue, so you can not see anything even if she had them...

SOOO, what is the best thing to use? My DW wants to go to the vet, but I do not think they have anything we can not get...

Options? recommendations?
K-9 Advantix is lethal to cats.
Please tell me you meant Advantage.
I use Comfortis on my dogs with very favorable results. The cats are normally given brand-name Advantage a few months a year, but mostly the fleas prefer the dogs. You can get Comfortis for cats, but it will require a prescription from the vet.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #1036
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
K-9 Advantix is lethal to cats.
Please tell me you meant Advantage.
I use Comfortis on my dogs with very favorable results. The cats are normally given brand-name Advantage a few months a year, but mostly the fleas prefer the dogs. You can get Comfortis for cats, but it will require a prescription from the vet.
I did not use anything for dogs... it even has a picture of a cat on the box... so it must be Advantage... as I said, I did not bring the box with me so I was going by memory (which does not seem to be as good as it was)...

OK, looked one up... it is
SENTRY FiproGuard_Flea_&_Tick_Squeeze-On_Treatment_for_Cats sold at Petsmart...

SENTRY® FiproGuard Flea & Tick Squeeze-On Treatment for Cats - Sale - Cat - PetSmart

I know there was another that we used, but will have to wait until I get home to see....
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #1037

Thank goodness. The Advantix has lots of warnings (the brand-name one anyway) about how even a drop of it can kill cats.
You might try Comfortis, but remember that cats are extremely sensitive to those topical treatments and I've heard quite a few horror stories about the drugstore/supermarket ones actually causing deaths. I economize on lots of animal related expenses, but I always go top shelf on flea meds. I have 5 cats at the moment.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Awesome, this is Kelsey which we had to put down a year ago....

This is the new one, Morgan......................

Morgan has some big shoes, er, paws to fill, but seems well able to do so. Congrats on your puppy.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #1039

We use K9advantix II on our dogs and Advantage II on our cats. Both are made by Bayer. K9advantix II kills ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies and lice. Advantage II only kills fleas.

We used to use Biospot on the dogs but, for whatever reason, it became ineffective.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASmith View Post
My kayak companion - Razz M Tazz. Yeah, he has to wear the lifevest, he sinks like a rock without it. I thought all dogs could "paddle" but not the Razz.
He is very handsome and looks at ease on the kayak.