Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #1221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Thanks everyone. We are getting through it.

Flash had 2 events. One caused him to fall and dislocate his hip. The second happened while he was climbing the stairs to get back home and he was dead 3 stairs from the top. We are dealing with the guilt of not finding him before the second event. Just a complication. He was not on the stairs when we discovered him missing so who knows what really happened.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
There was absolutely no warning, and there was absolutely nothing I could have done. Even hearing this, it took me a while to get over the guilt I felt.
Yes it was the sudden death combined with the guilt. Thanks for your post, Calico. It is helping.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #1223
Full time employment: Posting here.

Keith - from one who has lost three cats in the past 4 years, my deepest sympathy. Please don't feel guilty; these things happen, and we can't always plan for them. We are going through multiple medical issues with our 16+ year old cat now (Murphy, my avatar). We give her whatever she wants and try to make her comfortable. Of all the cats we have ever had, she is the most vocal, the most demanding, and the most expensive (worth every penny). We dread the day she leaves a hole in our lives.

Hugs to you.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yes it was the sudden death combined with the guilt. Thanks for your post, Calico. It is helping.
I have had to say goodbye to many cat companions over the decades. It never gets easier - the only way I get through it each time is one day at a time. Eventually, after enough time passes, I remember only the happy days.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #1225

Ironically both DW and I were always dog people and had many of them put to sleep. These are the first cats in our lives and so we are still struggling to understand the sudden death phenomenon. Perfect one night and then gone forever. We were prepared for Boots to be the one because he has had some medical problems. Flash never showed any signs. Taking about it helps.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #1226
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kcowan,

Sorry for you loss...

The only good thing I can say is that you know what happened.... our cat, which was an indoor/outdoor on her insistence (she was an outdoor more than half her life before we took her in, even though someone declawed her)... one day she went out like always and never came back...
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #1227
Give me a forum ...

Condolences to Keith and Faye on the loss of Flash. 15+ years is a long time.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #1228

Kcowan,

I am so sorry you are dealing with the passing of Flash. I think the guilt accompanies each and every way our beloved pets go, whether suddenly, with suffering, with euthanasia, disappearance...guilt is part of it. There was nothing you could have done, even if you recognized distress twenty/sixty minutes earlier. Flash was loved and knew it.

We put our 14 yo dog to sleep a few weeks ago and feel guilt...should it have been done the week before? But, we KNOW Whiskers was loved and knew it...as did Flash. That is THE most important thing. We loved them and only wanted the best for them and they felt the love. We loved them and they loved us and it is a super-marvelous relationship, even with the bad at the end. The end, with all that came before it, is NOT a defining moment. I am thinking Flash went quickly, with very little or no pain.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #1229

A beautiful cat. And, I loved the eulogy. I know how shocking it is to have a death occur suddenly. Well, I never had one that sudden but I did have a 13 year old cat go from healthy to dead within 24 hours and it was so difficult, in part because of the shock of it.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #1230
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is my almost 4 year old cat named Fraidy (as in Fraidy Cat). Came to us as a scrawny feral kitten with his abandoned mother and siblings (see first picture). Mother and siblings disappeared but he stuck around. Due to his fearful nature it took many weeks before he would even let me touch him.

Fast forward to now (see other two pictures), he's more or less domesticated but is still an indoor/outdoor kitty. Loves to hunt things and bring us "presents". The picture of him on the overturned couch was because I was trying to catch a live chipmunk he brought in. I think Fraidy really enjoys watching "daddy" (i.e, me) hunt.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00049-20100930-1808.jpg (426.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20130918_175127.jpg (681.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Fraidy on the prowl.jpg (230.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #1231

Looks like a good buddy. That is really strange coloring on the left side of his nose.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #1232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
This is my almost 4 year old cat named Fraidy (as in Fraidy Cat). Came to us as a scrawny feral kitten with his abandoned mother and siblings (see first picture). Mother and siblings disappeared but he stuck around. Due to his fearful nature it took many weeks before he would even let me touch him.

Fast forward to now (see other two pictures), he's more or less domesticated but is still an indoor/outdoor kitty. Loves to hunt things and bring us "presents". The picture of him on the overturned couch was because I was trying to catch a live chipmunk he brought in. I think Fraidy really enjoys watching "daddy" (i.e, me) hunt.....

LOL.... I call one of our cats 'Fraidy Cat' as he seems to be scared of everything... if you go to pet him, he runs.... the only time he is calm is when he visits you in the toilet (don't know why) or in bed... I think it is funny as he loves being petted.... but is too afraid to let you do it.... his real name is 'Sunny'.....
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
LOL.... I call one of our cats 'Fraidy Cat' as he seems to be scared of everything... if you go to pet him, he runs.... the only time he is calm is when he visits you in the toilet (don't know why) or in bed... I think it is funny as he loves being petted.... but is too afraid to let you do it.... his real name is 'Sunny'.....
I have a cat who is shy and anxious. She also loves being petted but sometimes, her anxiety is greater than her desire to be petted, so she doesn't let me near her. She absolutely loves the attention when she overcomes her anxiety though.

The first point on this page might be one reason why your anxious kitty calms down in the bathroom -

And My Cat
Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #1234

Kcowan, I am so sorry for your loss of your cat. He was a beautiful cat. I am sure that he felt very loved.

We have 5 cats. Two of the cats are 11 yrs and the other 3 are 8 yrs. I am not looking forward to the end of their lives. I am afraid that we are going to endure a lot of sadness in a short span of years. They are all indoor cats, so hopefully they have a long time to go.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #1235

I love the photo of Fraidy sitting on the overturned couch, LarryG!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #1236
Give me a forum ...

I don't have pets anymore, but I can still enjoy Simon's cat.....

Old 02-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #1237

I love Simon's Cat! They are cleverly done and I always recognize my cats in them!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #1239
Recycles dryer sheets

^^^ Love the cat/dog combo pic. Very nice.