Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #1401
Full time employment: Posting here.

When he was 10 weeks old, he's 1 1/2 now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 05:53 AM   #1402
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These pics are adorable!

We are on our 3rd housesit. Watching a sweet, extremely well-trained rhodesian ridgeback and 2 adorable kitties. House has incredible water view with gorgeous sunsets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160727_175642.jpg (291.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160727_175453.jpg (511.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160724_201639.jpg (296.5 KB, 22 views)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #1403

SG that's awesome! And on your third, now! Very cool pets and view! Yay for y'all!

Steve is your pup a Bernese Mtn Dog? Handsome fellow!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #1404
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
SG how do you go about finding such assignments?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
SG how do you go about finding such assignments?
There are several websites out there that match up petsitters with homeowners. The best ones require you to pay a yearly membership fee as a sitter.

1) housecarers.com (emphasis Australia sits, but definitely has USA sits)
2) trustedhousesitters.com (emphasis Euopean, esp. UK sits, but definitely has other countries including USA sits)

(1) is around $50/yr, (2) is around $100/yr, if I recall correctly. I have a link that gives you 20% off trustedhousesitters and gives me 2 months free, if you are interested.

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/su/YeIIQbZX

I do see a greater variety of sits at the trustedhousesitter site. However I find both sites valuable enough to keep paying membership for both, so far.

I've used other cheaper and free sites, but, you get what you pay for. Lower selection of sits, and also more difficulty searching for what you want.

The most prized sits have lots of competition. You have to work at building your sitting "resume" so that you have good references and experience to show. We found that we obtained better sits by being willing to sit over holidays like Christmas, especially for those who posted last minute - less competition.

After you apply for a position, if the owner is interested in you, you need to interview each other to see if the "fit" is right. As a sitter, you want to make a list of questions to answer for yourself before deciding if you want the sit. For me, the biggest questions are: (1) safety of neighborhood, (2)health of pets, (3) if dog, do they have a bite history and/or are they incessant barkers, (4) cleanliness of house and (5) personality of the owner (watch out for OCD types!)

So worth it to us! It isn't just the cost savings. Half the "fun" of the sit is loving on other's wonderful pets!!! The other part is of course the adventure of exploring a new area and living like a local. We've had fabulous sits so far. Brooklyn, Orlando, and now near Sarasota.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #1406

That's a good synopsis of the housesit biz, SG. And as a user of both of those sites to find our housesitters in the past, I can attest to the sometimes agonizing difficulty of choosing between very qualified candidates.
I will say that we don't score quite as high on the cleanliness, but since I knew our last sitters were vegan and clean freaks, I purged the house of dead animals and clutter, plus bought new cleaning supplies and a mop before we left.
The house was the cleanest it has ever been when they left!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #1407

[QUOTE=Sarah in SC

Steve is your pup a Bernese Mtn Dog? Handsome fellow![/QUOTE]

Yes he is, he's now about 75 lbs, small for the breed which is good since he thinks he is a lap dog.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #1408

Interesting the interviewing and vetting of sitters and sittees. We were skittish about the whole idea but with 3 pets and the fact that we didn't like them in the kennel, no matter how nice, we tried it several years ago. Basically on reference and after quick interview just...went with it. We have two sitters we love, and neither could do an upcoming 10 day. Went back to friend who recommended the first two, and he offered a third. She could only cover about a week, but had a colleague (they work at a pet spa) who could cover other days. We texted, and it was agreed to.

I guess one could say we are getting too nonchalant in these things, agreeing to have someone in the house we've never even met (she will come over week before to meet the kids and get the lay of the land). When you consider all the stuff, documents, valuables accessible to them. However, in the end you're either going to trust a person or not and if they come recommended by a friend that's as good as we can ask for. Lord knows when I interviewed employee applicants I got fooled more than once. So we just our good streak continues.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #1409
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
There are several websites out there that match up petsitters with homeowners. The best ones require you to pay a yearly membership fee as a sitter.

1) housecarers.com (emphasis Australia sits, but definitely has USA sits)
2) trustedhousesitters.com (emphasis Euopean, esp. UK sits, but definitely has other countries including USA sits)

(1) is around $50/yr, (2) is around $100/yr, if I recall correctly. I have a link that gives you 20% off trustedhousesitters and gives me 2 months free, if you are interested.

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/su/YeIIQbZX

I do see a greater variety of sits at the trustedhousesitter site. However I find both sites valuable enough to keep paying membership for both, so far.

I've used other cheaper and free sites, but, you get what you pay for. Lower selection of sits, and also more difficulty searching for what you want.
Thanks. We have done home swaps when we had cats. After 18 years, we are now catless and taking a break from ownership. We have also had several dogs too. The picture you posted made me yearn for "rent-a-pet"!

We just lost our second cat in June. So we will be looking at your recommended sites.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Thanks. We have done home swaps when we had cats. After 18 years, we are now catless and taking a break from ownership. We have also had several dogs too. The picture you posted made me yearn for "rent-a-pet"!

We just lost our second cat in June. So we will be looking at your recommended sites.
I totally understand! So sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. It is so hard.

Hope you find something of interest! Love the "rent-a-pet" term - perfect!

Old 07-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #1411

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post

I guess one could say we are getting too nonchalant in these things, agreeing to have someone in the house we've never even met (she will come over week before to meet the kids and get the lay of the land). When you consider all the stuff, documents, valuables accessible to them. However, in the end you're either going to trust a person or not and if they come recommended by a friend that's as good as we can ask for. Lord knows when I interviewed employee applicants I got fooled more than once. So we just our good streak continues.
We've been lucky in getting 2 great sitters for our kitty, too, so far. We do lock up all important files, and we just don't have a ton of expensive stuff to be ruined. Knock on wood our lucky streak continues as well. I do check references extensively!

Old 07-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #1412

I have had excellent results with pet sitters. Way better than kennels. 2 to 3 visits a day, feeding, walking and loving.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #1413
Recycles dryer sheets

Just an update. It's been about 2.5 months since we adopted Flash. She's been doing her job of making sure I get my daily exercise. She really lets you know that it's time for another walk.

According to the tracker in my phone, in that time we've walked the equivalent distance from Edmonton, AB to Helena, MT, (just over 500 miles) and I've lost 17 pounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160515_090549769_HDR.jpg (612.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #1414

+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #1415

Skittles rocking the mortarboard during his graduation "ceremony" from Dog Manners 2. We start pet therapy training next week.

Frame-31-08-2016-01-33-18.jpg
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #1416
Dryer sheet aficionado

How sweet! Congratulations, Skittles!
Old 09-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #1417

This is my girlfriend's dog who stays here a lot;

As you can see she is really nervous and worried about her surroundings -
Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
This is my girlfriend's dog who stays here a lot;

As you can see she is really nervous and worried about her surroundings -
Mostly she's happy to have gotten one of those $80 steaks for dinner.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #1419

Hehe, yeah, they (mine & hers) both got a taste!

The dogs always get a little (not much, just a little) of what we've been eating. And that's lobster & caviar too -

Couple of spoiled shelter dogs for sure. But hey, they were shelter dogs and now they are living the good life!
Old 09-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #1420

Yup, from living in cages in shelters as well as the "mean streets" (Lucy, mine, the black one) to eating well and couch snoozing in their "forever homes" with lots of love;

It's good to live with dogs -