Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Dave, is Sofi a Sheltie? If so, her face is a lot more winsome than any Sheltie I've ever seen!
Yes she is. She was the runt of the litter and her nose is shorter and pudgier than most shelties. She weighs 17 pounds, a bit small for a sheltie. Thanks for the compliment.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dave, Sofi is adorable. After seeing her and looking at the black/white sheltie of a friend, I'm beginning to think my Biscuit dog is a sheltie, but smaller, even, than your Sofi. Here she is with a tiny kitten. She weighs about 15 lbs and has long silky hair. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Biscuitphoto.jpg (553.1 KB, 5 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #443
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dave, Sofi is adorable. After seeing her and looking at the black/white sheltie of a friend, I'm beginning to think my Biscuit dog is a sheltie, but smaller, even, than your Sofi. Here she is with a tiny kitten. She weighs about 15 lbs and has long silky hair. What do you think?
Dang they're cute!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #444

Quote:
I'm no expert, but appears to be a mix with maybe Border Collie....she's cute though.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #445
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since we're doing shelties, Here's four. The first picture is a mother-daughter pair. the second picture is a brother-sister pair.

Unfortunately, they are no longer with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CINDY_SUGAR.jpg (616.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DUKE_DUCHESS1.jpg (616.0 KB, 5 views)
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #446
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave
I'm no expert, but appears to be a mix with maybe Border Collie....she's cute though.
Biscuit says thanks! And what is funny is that I have a house full of Border Collies most of the time, because I do foster for a rescue. It's like she knew this was the perfect place to present yourself at the gate if you were a black and white dog.

And Jake, they are lovely. So sorry for your loss.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #447

Quote:
I thought, possibly a Papillon or Papillon mix.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #448
Recycles dryer sheets

Gosh, one of my favorite threads! Heres my kids...

And with new puppy (not so new, he's 2 now)

Love all the pics of your precious kids.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #449
Give me a forum ...

Bob - 15 years old. Adopted him when he was 5 after fostering him for a couple of months. He was given up due to allergies. Often this is an excuse, but in this case the lady's son developed a severe allergic reaction to cats. The lady and her little boy were heartbroken. Bob is a mellow cat with a sweet disposition. A real cuddle bunny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Bob.JPG (439.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #450

This is my latest newby. A local shelter had way too many animals almost a 1000. I read on the Internet they were going to start putting some down. So I found this guy. He was in an enclosure where they put cats who have been there a while. His previous owners took him to the shelter because they went traveling. He's 4 years old, declawed ( not something I agree with) neutered etc. He's a teddy bear. So far my two cats do not get along. He's been with us about 3 months. So I keep them separate. I guess it doesn't help they both have Siamese in them. Maybe in 5 years or so they will get along. He has his own room when he's not out in the common areas of the house. I use baby gates to keep them separate unless I'm trying to introduce them. Usually I try many times a week. She wants nothing to do with him and he wants to chase her etc. She's not declawed. She could probably do more damage. But she doesn't seem to know it. Enough of my blathering. Separate or together they are both my kids!

mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #451

I've had this one for 9 to 10 months. There's another photo of her on this thread. Question in my mind will I ever be able to take a photo of them together? No high hopes here!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #452
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Question in my mind will I ever be able to take a photo of them together? No high hopes here!
I wondered the same thing when I took in a second cat, which highly offended the sensibilities of my older one. It took much of that first year, but they now sleep side by side when they're not wrestling each other. The senior kitty still has to maintain his dignity and keep her in her place, but they are companions (they're alternately licking and biting each other right now).

Hang in there!
Want2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #453
Recycles dryer sheets

Love this thread and everyone's pictures. Here is our boy, Kody. We couldn't ask for a friendlier pup.
20090626 034ab.jpg
WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #454

Kody is really charming!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #455

Want2Bfree,
Did you let them duke it out? I'm not really keen on that method. I've read on many sites that alpha theory is nonsense and just to let them get to know each other slowly. The female was really freaked out when I adopted her last fall. So not really thrilled with throwing her into the fray. It took her about 6 months to settle down. I can wait. Just curious what you did.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #456

Kody is adorable---looks like he has a lot of personality. Is he a Tibetan terrier?

Purron---about the cat allergy thing: recently I went to a party where the host has three cats. One of the guests did not have any problems sitting around the living room when she didn't realize it was a home with cats. When one cat finally made an appearance, she freaked out and ran outside, saying she was severely allergic to cats. She left a few minutes later. But that's not really the way cat allergies work, is it? Could it really be that a cat in the vicinity would get her allergies going---but the accumulation of dander all over the room and house with three cats roaming around wouldn't affect her?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #457
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you mountaintosea and tangomonster! Yes, Kody is a TT.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #458
Moderator Emeritus

We have a neighbor who pretty much neglects his cat. The cat is outside rain, snow or shine. Last winter, the poor thing had nowhere to go when the temps dropped well below freezing. I told the neighbor he should keep the cat indoors, but my remark fell on deaf ear. So I built him a temporary shelter to at least keep him out of the wind and snow (we couldn't and still can't bring him indoors for a variety of reasons). Well, he liked it so much that he has made our back porch his. During the summer, I upgraded his shelter and now that nights are getting cooler again, he has moved into his new house (solid cedar siding, aluminum roofing, and faux fur mattress):
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

What a wonderful thing to do, FD!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I thought, possibly a Papillon or Papillon mix.
That's what my sis in law said, she shows dogs and says Biscuit seems more Papillon to her.

Tango, that party guest was a drama queen if you ask me. It is definitely the dander, not the sudden appearance of a cat that causes allergies. Granted, no one with allergies would spend a lot of time in my living room, but sounds like a good way to "lean up" the guest list for your host friend!

mountain, you are doing the intros the right way. I have 6 cats and some of them simply don't get along and probably never will. I separate them at night (we live where they can go outside) and just figure they are like sparring siblings. Yours will probably finally settle into a grudging sort of admission that they both live there and make the best of it. But BFFs? Probably not. But thanks for saving those lives!

FD, you are awesome to build that cat a warm home! Now you can say you have the neighborhood cat house!