Animals we share our lives with

View attachment 14810

Our 2 newest additions to the family. Ollie Mae the cat, lived with Grandma, Grandma was going to move, but the house burned down, than Grandma died, and the GD took OM. Than GD was assaulted so bad that she was in the hospital. We took her in 2 years ago, and she loves it here.
Peanut was living under a truck cap along with a bunch of cats. So he must have a cat smell/attitude about him. OM loves to cuddle with him. Peanut has a soft bed and a great home. She has lost 10+ lbs, and runs 5-6 miles a day with Ms.G.

These two are lucky to have found you and Ms. G !

Don't know if the 'grandchicks' have arrived yet; we try not to disturb the nesters, but there's always someone on duty........this evening's pic is of the shift replacement waiting to take over.

(Don't speak 'dove', but the arrival greeting sounded to me to be something like "You're two hours late...been hanging out with your bozo friends again?")

29coujb.jpg

Thanks all for sharing your wonderful creatures. Someday I hope to give an animal a warm loving home like all of you. :)

Don't know if the 'grandchicks' have arrived yet; we try not to disturb the nesters, but there's always someone on duty........this evening's pic is of the shift replacement waiting to take over.

(Don't speak 'dove', but the arrival greeting sounded to me to be something like "You're two hours late...been hanging out with your bozo friends again?")

To me, the cooing of doves is one of the most pleasing sounds on this planet. Right up there with a purring kitten.

The cats are getting used to their new urban surroundings. No more squirrel/chipmunk/raccoon watching like when we had a backyard. But still plenty to look at including huge seagulls flying around the building. And they do enjoy the large, sunny windows.

7791128680_fbd71a4c03.jpg

7791131314_cd43431d03.jpg

That is an amazing photo of the doves, Nemo! Thank you!

So, what does the long haired cat weigh in at? They are both stunning! Glad the kitties are adjusting to the indoor life. Do you have any kitty grass or catnip to plant for them? I've heard indoor kitties benefit from that.

So, what does the long haired cat weigh in at? They are both stunning! Glad the kitties are adjusting to the indoor life. Do you have any kitty grass or catnip to plant for them? I've heard indoor kitties benefit from that.

The long hair cat is all hair really, she weighs in only at 10 pounds. Her sister is a bit chubbier at 12 pounds. They both took a real liking to the "high grade" organic catnip grown locally... Those californians know how to do weed.:D

The cats are getting used to their new urban surroundings. No more squirrel/chipmunk/raccoon watching like when we had a backyard. But still plenty to look at including huge seagulls flying around the building. And they do enjoy the large, sunny windows.

Beautiful! Lucky girls:)

Nemo, thanks for the baby dove pics. I had a couple of clutches of robins hatch from a nest on my house last year, and it was so fun to watch them. I hope you get to see these guys fledge a bit!

Nemo, thanks for the baby dove pics. I had a couple of clutches of robins hatch from a nest on my house last year, and it was so fun to watch them. I hope you get to see these guys fledge a bit!
They're moving around a lot right now......don't expect they'll hang around much longer....hope the parents, or one of the offspring & mate, come back next year!

Around dusk last evening, the fledglings 'flew the coop'.

A couple days ago we noticed one of them huddled under the railing of the deck, and, concerned about seagulls/crows/cats, I walked around the outside, gently scooped it up, and placed it back with its sibling in the planter.

Then we read online that this appears to be part of the 'weaning' process......when the parents deem that the young are old enough, they cease feeding them, (and apparently observe from a distance, although we didn't see them), so that they start acting independently.

So...yesterday, when one of them was in the same situation, we didn't intervene. Shortly thereafter it was up on the railing, thence to the fence.......the other one flew from the planter and joined it. They sat together for a few moments, then, as if "On the count of 3", they flew in unison to the neighbor's fence, (staying very close together), and then gone.

Funny how damned relieved we both felt!

Later this morning......one parent and one chick returned......they sat on the rail by the planter, and the mother/father ruffled the baby's feathers......we just got the one shot, (through the window), but unfortunately it's blurry:

1tsx0h.jpg

A little bit of Miranda Lambert here.......at least one of the chicks has returned about 3 times, (or maybe both have, but not at the same time.....it's hard to tell 'em apart without the name tags)........this taken about 15 minutes ago:

11alpw4.jpg

No fear at all...guess we've been around all their lives.

[youtube]DQYNM6SjD_o[/youtube]

Edited to add: 2 minutes after posting the above...they're both back. Neato!

Last edited:
Nemo2 - I love your dove pictures. We have lots of doves here in our neck of the woods. I think they make the most lovely sound and always feel so good when I hear them cooing in our back yard. Just takes me to a calm and peaceful place and makes me so happy to share my space with them. Look forward to more pictures from you!

Nemo2 - I love your dove pictures. We have lots of doves here in our neck of the woods. I think they make the most lovely sound and always feel so good when I hear them cooing in our back yard. Just takes me to a calm and peaceful place and makes me so happy to share my space with them. Look forward to more pictures from you!
From what we've read, the young will probably hang around the vicinity for a couple weeks..........this will likely be the last nesting for the parents this year, (the doves raise multiple chicks over a season), but with luck one of them (with mate) will return next year........however, they have a high mortality rate, (predators, etc), and a fairly short (natural) life expectancy anyway.

We'll see what next year brings.

That first cat has that "Please let me out" look.

Another Bird family..

To continue on the theme of bird families. Here's a Quail flock That was in my side yard today. I'm pretty sure they're one family because I saw them back a couple months ago when the kids were all golf ball sized. looks like they'll all made it so far which is saying something given the number of owls and hawks around here.. They're very shy so i had to hide behind the fence and stick my phone pericope style over it to catch them..

Movie of them foraging..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88044350/QuailFlock.MOV

Pic of them on the fence..

QuailsOnFence.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of quail! We see turkey families all the time out by our place, but I'm never quick enough to get all of them in a picture!

About a month ago, we had 6 adults bring 37 Gambel's Quail babies to the house. Here are Ms G's new friends and focus of her attention. 7 Guinea hens.

keets Aug.jpg

We just had an Osprey slam into our bay window. He was being chased by another Osprey and had a fish in his talons. I thought he was going to come crashing through the glass! That was a first!

image-901438088.jpg

We just had an Osprey slam into our bay window. He was being chased by another Osprey and had a fish in his talons. I thought he was going to come crashing through the glass! That was a first!

View attachment 14899

Wow! Hope kitty wasn't there when it happened:)

Purron said:
Wow! Hope kitty wasn't there when it happened:)

She was on the back of the sofa. It took her about two seconds to get to the window. She was ready to catch big bird ;-)

Back
Top Bottom