Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #781
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is our 15 year old Molly. Kinda looks like me some days...But not as cute !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Molly.jpg (441.7 KB, 16 views)
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #782
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is Rico. He is a Lab St Bernard cross. HE is five months old and weighs 46 pounds.
The corn and stuff on my floor is what he did in fifteen minutes alone. LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r1.jpg (12.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg r2.jpg (20.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg r3.jpg (19.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Found this trio in the woods Sunday night! Couldn't catch feral mama though, but they are friendly and getting healthier every day! Eating like lions at the kill! Think I've got a good home for two, just need one more! Flame point Siamese is what my vet is thinking. Really pretty creamy color bodies. And so dang cute-haven't had kittens in a long time, not since my calico May was little.

Attachment 14955
Awwwwhhhh!!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #784
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm considering this beautiful dog http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/2...8?photo_view=3 but I am worried that she has "itchy skin". I have heard horror stories about Goldens and skin problems. But what a gorgeous face!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #785

Yes she is beautiful! Good luck!
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #786
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I'm considering this beautiful dog Petfinder Pet Photo but I am worried that she has "itchy skin". I have heard horror stories about Goldens and skin problems. But what a gorgeous face!
How can you resist that face?

My first dog (Shepherd/Husky mix) had very dry skin and irritation from environmental allergies. I had great success with this product, squirted generously over his dry dog food.
Linatone Shed Relief Plus Skin & Coat Revitalizer - Free Shipping

A low cost version is simple food grade oil. Check the ingredients and I'll bet you can find a food oil or dietary supplement that is very close to the Linatone formula.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #787
Give me a forum ...

Not an animal I share my life with but thought you all might enjoy this pic a friend sent me. I've fostered kittens before, but think I'd be over my head with a baby polar bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby polar bear.jpg (31.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #788
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I'm considering this beautiful dog Petfinder Pet Photo but I am worried that she has "itchy skin". I have heard horror stories about Goldens and skin problems. But what a gorgeous face!
I had a golden not long ago. She was a great dog and didn't have skin problems. I say go for it.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #789

This pet photo makes me laugh.
best of craigslist: Free Birthday Hat for a Dog!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
That's a hoot!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #791
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna5354 View Post
Here is our 15 year old Molly. Kinda looks like me some days...But not as cute !!
Awww. Molly is so so cute with her little tongue sticking out. I hope we have as many years with our pup.
WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #792
Administrator

I took my 16 year old cat in for her first chemotherapy session today (gastro-intestinal lymphoma). I would appreciate hearing anyone else's experiences with the side effects, etc. I am especially concerned about getting her to eat again.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #793
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I took my 16 year old cat in for her first chemotherapy session today (gastro-intestinal lymphoma). I would appreciate hearing anyone else's experiences with the side effects, etc. I am especially concerned about getting her to eat again.
I have no experience with this particular medical condition. Talk to your vet and if you're uncomfortable with the answers, get a second opinion. Also, remember animals live in the here and now. All she knows is if she's happy now - she doesn't think about what happened last year or if she'll live to see next Christmas. This is one of the most valuable lessons our beloved pets teach us - to appreciate the moment.

Regarding food, try fishy smelling cat foods like Fancy Feast seafood flavors. Also, if you're worried she isn't getting enough nutrition and you want to supplement, try this. Mix some human baby food - such as the chicken Gerber makes that comes in a little glass jar without anything else in the ingredient list - with a high calorie supplement like Nutrical and perhaps a bit of water. You can get Nutrical at PetSmart or any of the big pet supply stores or on-line. Get an oral syringe and slowly feed the mixture to her orally. I've kept many foster kitties alive through tough times with this.

Keep us posted Gumby and give her a big hug and head bump from me.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #794
Administrator

Thanks, Purron. The sister to this cat died in May. For the last three months of her life, I fed her baby food and Nutrical with a syringe. Unfortunately, it was not enough. She may have had lymphoma as well -- her symptoms were similar -- but was never diagnosed.

This one will lick the gravy in the wet food, but will not eat the bits of meat. I have been putting out about five different types of food in the hopes she'll like one of them.

I'm hopeful that the chemo drugs will start to work and she'll start eating again soon. I got some of the high calorie cat food from the vet and have pureed it. I will probably give her a few syringes full before bed tonight.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #795

I have given IV fluids to both dogs and cats in the last year or so. I though cats would be really hard to keep still for so long, but it wasn't. I had a wonderful dog live a happy life for 8 months after diagnosis with lymphoma.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #796
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This one will lick the gravy in the wet food, but will not eat the bits of meat. I have been putting out about five different types of food in the hopes she'll like one of them.
I went through the exact same thing with my cat that died of liver disease in May of 2010. He'd lick the gravy a bit but ate less and less as time went on. I bought every kind of cat food and even crab and shrimp, which he loved, but it didn't help. I syringe fed him what I could but toward the end he couldn't keep his food down.

I hope the treatments help your kitty. Sadly, there were no effective treatments for my beautiful boy.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #797
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, Purron. The sister to this cat died in May. For the last three months of her life, I fed her baby food and Nutrical with a syringe. Unfortunately, it was not enough. She may have had lymphoma as well -- her symptoms were similar -- but was never diagnosed.

I'm hopeful that the chemo drugs will start to work and she'll start eating again soon. I got some of the high calorie cat food from the vet and have pureed it. I will probably give her a few syringes full before bed tonight.

Heck, I have a 1YO cat that will lick the gravy and let the meat dry out if I let it.... I just put more gravy on the top...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
About 15 years ago, at Why, AZ, we went to a small swap meet.....there was a guy from Oregon selling a few items from his truck bed......he had a couple, (mother/daughter), wolf crosses, and I asked if I could pet them.

He said OK and I stroked them both without incident....until....I touched the mother's feet and she warned me off in the proverbial "no uncertain terms".

"Oh geez", the owner said, "Even I can't touch their feet".
Most of the dogs I've had resisted having their feet touched, even though none had ever experienced injury or abuse. The last two have been different -- both Labs from the same breeder. Part of her process is to handle the puppies from as early an age as prudent, touching and petting their feet & ears to acclimate them. This comes in really handy for cleaning, nail clipping, drying wet feet & ears, etc. Our current Lab will alllow anyone to hold his paws and pet them.

We've always done our own grooming. The first few dogs kept their own nails short from walking on pavement. As we've "matured", we now take our dogs to the park for runs, which necessitates regular nail clipping. We found that doing it immediately after a bath -- when the nails are still soft -- is much easier on them and us.
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #799
Give me a forum ...

When we lived in B.C. we bred my male Border Collie, (whose feet I could touch without any problem), with a female Border belonging to a couple up the hill from us who had 2 young sons.

The family would sit with the pups daily, almost from birth, and they were used to being held, (possibly even before their eyes opened).......I imagine as adult dogs they turned out pretty well.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #800
Give me a forum ...

Thinking of the above, motivated me to drag out a couple 'pics from the past':

Dad watches the pups, while mom focuses on tennis ball:

My Border in California......perhaps looking for another lady?

And here's one from Riyadh, late 1998.

We were about to return to Canada and had 'adopted' a semi-feral female cat - since she was going to have to acclimatize to being indoors, until we re-established residence, we introduced her to our other cat's litter box, but she was having none of that.

She taught herself to use the toilet......(would drink the fresh water, then use the facilities....never the other way around):

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote