Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #1061
Moderator Emeritus

I always have 2 pairs of eyes trained on me when I am working on the computer:

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #1062
Recycles dryer sheets

Major Tom, As soon as the behavior was viewed, a cover was added. No worries.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #1063
Full time employment: Posting here.

Awwwww, FIREd, I love the calico & tortie! I'm so partial to them.

So here are three of mine (cat #4 is my avatar). They were watching the stinkin' rabbit eating my flowers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0796.jpg (510.5 KB, 13 views)
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #1064

Ha ha ha snowcat! That fish definitely is in trouble!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #1065
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingme View Post

+1 I also use a spray solution of cedar oil and water for as natural insect repellent just make sure your pet is not allergic to the oil (even a weak solution works)
I love, love LOVE Cedarcide. I've never tried to make my own solution though.

I spray my furniture whenever strangers leave my home.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #1066
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This bear obviously wants driving lessons.....thank goodness the keys were not in the ignition!

Bear caught opening truck door on video - British Columbia - CBC News
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #1067
Give me a forum ...

They're baaack........at breakfast time, (ours, perhaps not theirs), the Mourning Doves showed up at the planters again.......they checked out all three, and have just started nesting in their 'old home'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Russell the Rooster
Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #1068
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Russell the Rooster

At dawn on Monday, June 24 I was rudely awakened by the distinctive sound of a rooster crowing - loudly. This guy was in a tree right outside our bedroom window.

Although we live in a rural subdivision, farm animals other than horses aren't allowed and in the 14+ years we've lived out here we've never seen or heard any chickens. We have no idea where he came from. We checked with the neighbors who were as surprised as we were at his sudden appearance. I suppose he must think he's home because he's still here 10 days later - although just barely.

The grandkids named him Russell and thought it fun to watch him do the chicken walk around the yard and crow - whenever the mood struck him. We put some water out for him and he hung out in the two heavily wooded 5 acre lots between us and our neighbors. Did I mention he liked to crow? Didn't matter if it was day or night, Russell isn't shy about speaking up - or to be more accurate, I should say "wasn't".

The neighbors (father and son) were working on a car project into the wee hours on Wednesday morning and said Russell crowed off and on all night long but stopped at about 3 am. They assumed he'd finally gone to sleep - until the sun came up and they saw all the feathers on the road between our houses.

They called Wednesday morning to tell me it looked like something (fox, owl, coyote, mountain lion, or Col Sanders) got Russell. But that wasn't the case...

Earlier that morning as the sun was just coming up, our two old labs went nuts. They live on our deck, with a fenced off grassy area on one side and gates at the top of the other steps from the back yard up to the deck. When I investigated what had them so upset, I found Russell on the top step, just outside the gate, 6 inches from two very excited dogs. He was calmly sitting there and paid no attention to them or me as I walked up to him.

I calmed the dogs down (food is a powerful distractor) and noticed Russell had hopped down from the steps and was slowly walking towards the garage. That's when I saw he was absent a significant number of feathers from his backside.

On closer examination it looks like whatever tried to make a meal out of him came within an inch or so of success. Other than losing a bunch of plumage, he suffered no other physical injury that I can see. But he is suffering from some serious PTSD. He walked into our open garage, hopped up on my work bench, and didn't move for 36 hours. No crowing, no nothing.

We put food and water on the garage floor in front of him, but he wasn't interested. After a day and a half, I slowly moved a bowl of water next to him on the workbench and he started drinking. I managed to coax him out of the garage but as soon as I turned my back he was inside again, roosting on the workbench.

I got him outside again this morning and he actually crowed a few times. He's getting more comfortable in the yard but I expect him to be back on his roost when the sun sets tonight. The chicken is now chicken.

Whaddya do all day? Asked and answered.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #1069
Give me a forum ...

Go Russell!!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1070
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a cat bird that lives in the underbrush on a thin strip of unmaintained property between our house and the next door neighbor. Cat birds have quite a song repertoire and it seems to really open up shortly after sunrise. It's a nice way to start the day.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #1071
Give me a forum ...

Russell. A heckuva rooster tail tale.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #1072
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't put up with hungry bears or rattlesnakes, but our house/pet sitter did while we were in Alaska looking at bears.

bear.png
Old 07-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #1073

Here is a picture of my lab Chloe, that just passed away on Monday.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #1074
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Russell. A heckuva rooster tail tale.
I'll say he gorgeous, I've seen dominant chickens go chicken after trauma.

I've also seen roosters get "dumped". Many of the fancy breeds are sold "straight run", so some hobby farmers get the pretty ones , end up with 50% roosters that like to crow and part pet so they get "gifted" to areas that look like good homes. Not saying how I know that.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #1075
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Here is a picture of my lab Chloe, that just passed away on Monday.
So sorry, I know how that hurts. We have two old labs (sisters) who just turned 10...
Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #1076
Give me a forum ...

Great rooster story, I hope he sticks around a while longer.

Very sorry about Chloe. No matter how much we think we are prepared for their aging, it always comes as a surprise.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Great rooster story, I hope he sticks around a while longer.

Very sorry about Chloe. No matter how much we think we are prepared for their aging, it always comes as a surprise.
We were lucky-she lived to old age for a lab. 13 years old. Our 12 year old Bassett hound seems to be taking it the hardest. She is deaf and blind, and Chloe served as her "seeing and hearing" friend. I fear she won't last much longer without Chloe to keep her engaged.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So sorry, I know how that hurts. We have two old labs (sisters) who just turned 10...
I hope they live as long as Chloe did.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK, I need some help....

Our two cats have fleas.... We have used an Advantix generic (not sure if it is this one as I do not have the box with me) and also tried a pyrethrin based poison.... they still seem to be there...

My DW was expecting them to be dead within a day, but found about 5 hanging around one of our cat's nose.... the other is a Russian Blue, so you can not see anything even if she had them...

SOOO, what is the best thing to use? My DW wants to go to the vet, but I do not think they have anything we can not get...

Options? recommendations?
No more walks on a leash for our kitty, Gabby, because the fleas are so bad. We have been fighting them for about 3 months. We have used a combination of diatomaceous earth (food grade), natural flea shampoo, flea combing, and Kirkland (Costco) flea medicine.

She has been a real trooper enduring a weekly bath in the kitchen sink. We towel dry her as much as she will let us and then she spends about 30 minutes grooming herself. Sunday will be her 5th. She smells like cloves and is really soft and shiny when she is dry. A lot of loose hair is removed during the process which really reduces the shedding. I see the baths continuing for the foreseeable future.

We doused the apartment twice in DE with a cleanup about a week later. I have also applied it directly to Gabby.

We started the fight about 3 months ago with an application of Frontline and then another 30 days later. It did not appear to be effective at all so that's when we made her an indoor kitty and added the DE, baths, and flea comb.

30 days ago I purchased more flea meds from Costco. I tried the Kirkland brand because it was so cheap and it was a different chemical than the Frontline. It's very difficult to get the medicine down to her skin so I clipped some fur from a spot on her neck. It was still very messy. Before application, I checked out the comments about the product on Amazon and they were all very negative with horror stories including pet deaths. I then started computing how much revenue was at stake purchasing an application for $3.50 instead of $10 and decided to go ahead and put it on her. She was fine.

Because we have tried several things at once, I don't know what is working. I would like to avoid giving her the flea meds to avoid any side-effects but I don't want her (or us) to start suffering again. I guess I will do at least one more application. The weekly baths and combing and localized DE application will definitely continue. She's not a real fan of the heat so she has converted back to an indoor kitty pretty easily.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #1080
Give me a forum ...

The lease hasn't been authorized...but the renovations are already underway.