Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Annoying Corporate Speak
Old 03-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We need to uplevel this discussion in order to achieve parity among the various constituencies represented in the organizational hierarchy.

Yep, I still got it.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never worked in corporate, but I have to say that it sounds like the most stupid sayings I have ever heard. I suppose the person who speaks like this thinks he/she sounds important and what not, but to me they would sound like a pompous ass and ridiculous, too.

Thank God I am retired.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Actually my favorite, which I never heard until a couple of years before I quit working, and have heard on this board a few times.

"I dont disagree with you".

So...does that mean you agree with me and you'd like to say so in a roundabout manner, or you really do disagree but you're trying to be agreeable about it?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

granular .............. We need to examine this at a more granular level.

One that I like and we have been using more and more ...... strategery
Old 03-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL
I suppose the person who speaks like this thinks he/she sounds important and what not, but to me they would sound like a pompous ass and ridiculous, too.
Exactly!

I mean honestly, do any of us corporate wage slaves (or former) speak like this to our friends and relatives??
Old 03-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #26

The latest buzz word in our office is "socialize" as in, "socialize this with XXX office at HQ".
Old 03-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #27

i left 5 years after we were re-engineered (my area went from 35 people to, yikes, 7 of us) & 3 years of exceeding expectations. exceed this.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
The latest buzz word in our office is "socialize" as in, "socialize this with XXX office at HQ".
OMG! I thought our company was the orginator of "socializing" ! Ack!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got a letter from a lawyer once, which began: "Enclosed please find the hereinafter referred-to enclosure."

Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #30

Level playing field, mean anything ?

A flat organization ?

Synergy ?

Old 03-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #31

How about "level setting"?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Got a letter from a lawyer once, which began: "Enclosed please find the hereinafter referred-to enclosure."

I see this all the time. Lawyers want to be able to show that they mailed something so they use an "enclosed please find" letter. Lawyers are also in love with meaningless words like hereby, hereinafter, wherefore, blah, blah, blah. I always would edit those words out of my associates' work. The other writing issue I see alot is using three words when one will do, like: "sells, transfers and assigns" and "promise, aver and agree" . Yuck.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html

whiteboard impactful applications
reinvent bleeding-edge deliverables

http://www.lurkertech.com/chris/corpspeak.html

==== FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ====

TO: SGI Users

Having first verified that the price-performance leading edge blows them away with a team, a careful examination of big deals reveals that the technologies interface with the extensible merger. It is fiscally true that emerging workgroups get up to speed on the open standards. As a company, we have a firm grip on kick-ass graphics. The win-win next generation systems ... uuum ... are going to get up to speed on the massively parallel tangent. If we can foresee the benefits of drop dead dates, then motif-compliant key players will assure us the high-performace geographies. Surely, we can conclude that the component indicates that the integration can ride the wave of the customer dealer channels. This is why Tom Jermoluk recently announced that a teamwork-oriented disclosure (and by the way this is all in my report) syncs up with a competitive skill set. Can we indeed say that a paper trail signs off on a goal ? Our third parties tell us that massively parallel workgroups provide an indication of the UI scripting languages. As Ed McCracken states in a recent report about sweet spots, " the killer app will ramp up progress on the enabling executives." I think that internet service providers provide an indication of the information superhighway.

A massively parallel horizontal market syncs up with ISVs, however the staffing look and feel raises a flag over value-added workgroups. Now what was I saying? The price-performance critical paths will follow through on the issue of object-oriented killer apps, which leads us to believe that the UI user interfaces soon get your input on the skill sets. We are pleased to announce that personal digital assistants will pass the baton to mergers. Desktop integration interactively raises a flag over the win-win action items, so technology enables the binary-compatible relationships. We will with all deliberate speed take over the technological market for the platform.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a problem with our "comfort level" at our workplace. I guess being comfortable is bad, as in slack, lazy, complacent, and being "just on the other side of comfortable"--ie stressed, nervous, jumpy--is good.

It all just makes me want to leave sooner.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
We have a problem with our "comfort level" at our workplace. I guess being comfortable is bad, as in slack, lazy, complacent, and being "just on the other side of comfortable"--ie stressed, nervous, jumpy--is good.
Worked for a CEO who frequently stated that his main role was to "inflict the comforted and comfort the inflicted". :P

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle

It all just makes me want to leave sooner.
Considering my old company's mantra was "only the paranoid survive", it probably shouldnt surprise anyone that a little of that paranoia still carries on in me... :
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Heyyy...you look a little bit familiar...was that you hiding out in my front shrubs earlier?

Dang I still want someone to come up with that way to git your dog on someone through the internet...
Old 03-07-2006, 02:52 AM   #39

I had a boss who loved the phrase, "Problem? ... or Opportunity?!" that he picked up from some Japanese management bible that was popular back in the day...

me: "The printer just exploded and we have a new business presentation in a half-hour."

him: "Problem? ... or Opportunity?!"

me: in my head=>"Problem!!! you smug, ignorant !@$#%"
me: in reality=>speechless.

This boss also liked to secretly program keystrokes on our computers and then sidle up as we were working and in a snotty tone of voice ask, "why don't you just hit option-shift-7"??* :
Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

"I will, but only if that key combination triggers an ejection seat that will shoot me out of here and back into my car..."