Join Early Retirement Today
Another 401k/IRA question/feedback requested
Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Another 401k/IRA question/feedback requested

Sorry if this was answered previously....

For 2015, currently a fulltime employee as a w-2 wage earner where I plan to contribute $18k for the year (contribution limit).

I have an opportunity for an assignment under my LLC. This could result in $30 - 60k for the year that can be added to retirement savings.

What is the best way to reduce taxes and/or defer into a IRA or 401k?

SEP-IRA? Vanguard Simple 401k? Small Plan 401k?

Can I contribute to an employer's 401k ($18k) and my own SEP-IRA (employer 25% of comp up to $53k and employee contribution $5.5k) during the same year?

So, on LLC income of $53k, I could make employer contribution of $13.25k and employee contribution of $5.5, for a total of $18.25k.

Is this allowed? Any other advice? Thanks for your feedback.

Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not a tax expert, but I believe you can save the entire $53K in a SEP-IRA. You should still be able to save the $18K in your employer's 401k program, and additional $6K if you are over 50. The $5.5k for IRA is subject to income limitations, but if below that value for 2015 then I would save that as well, most likely as Roth.

My logic is that these are two different income types. Unless there is an IRS limit for combined, or can take the max of one income stream, you can essentially save all of your side self-employed income.

Check with tax laws or a person more knowledgeable then me. Also a lot of good kknowledge on the board here so hopefully someone can contribute to this discussion.
I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote