Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was there at the same time and never thought crime was bad but hey grew up there so maybe just used to it)
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was there at the same time and never thought crime was bad but hey grew up there so maybe just used to it)
I flip-flopped a lot between Detroit and Kenosha where we had a manufacturing plant much smaller than the Kenosha works. I was in charge of plant engineering at the time and had responsibility for Detroit also.

Crime in Detroit at that time (mid - late 1970s) was all about the drug trade with daily executions. I believe that Detroit won the prize for the city with the most murders in the U.S. (but many were not found as they were in the river).

Kenosha had softer crime at the time; gambling, numbers rackets, prostitution, assaults, etc.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Kenosha had softer crime at the time; gambling, numbers rackets, prostitution, assaults, etc.
Some people would even consider the first 3 not to even be criminal. Back in the bad old days ,the boss would throw you out of the station house if you brought in a gambling arrest. You were needed to stop the robberies , assaults and such.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I think my Dad said at one point the MOtors had 20k employees and people came from all over for the jobs. Kenosha only had about 60k population then. Many people commuted from other towns to work there. When my Dad retired 43 years ago his pension and SS was 24k which was a fortune. he did have over 30 years in. Then when he died my Mom got a reduced pension. They also got Cadillac health insurance until they were all dead. My Aunt is still getting it. My Mom was told that a certain group of retirees kept their premier insurance every time the company was sold because it was a promise to the older retirees. The other retirees saw their coverage change with every sale.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Some people would even consider the first 3 not to even be criminal. Back in the bad old days ,the boss would throw you out of the station house if you brought in a gambling arrest. You were needed to stop the robberies , assaults and such.
That's why I said "soft" crime.

We had a guy in the plant named "Frenchie" who was supposed to a janitor. He would go all around the machines and pick up bets from the operators. Then he would leave the plant (without punching out) and head into town to place the bets. Then in the afternoon, the process was repeated with the second shift. I never saw him clean anything in the years I was there.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

The first 3 things are legal in NV)
Old 09-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The first 3 things are legal in NV)
I know, I spent some time in Tonapah and the surrounding area.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #48

So I typed in my area and data in the custom fields, and the data drills down to specific census tracks

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Timo: I tried to do that but it never gave me any information.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Timo: I tried to do that but it never gave me any information.
I had that issue initially also. I went ahead and clicked on the New York example. Once that loaded I used the edit function to change the parameters.
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of living