Join Early Retirement Today

Another cost of living chart
Old 09-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another cost of living chart

This might have some relevance to some folks.

"The data come from our new True Cost of Living Tool. It’s kind of a big deal because it lets you drill down to a specific city and search through layers of relevant information to understand exactly how much money it takes to live in any given area. We stitched together a variety of different reputable sources, like the Bureau of Labor Statistics for income levels, the National Bureau of Economic Research for tax data, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture for the cost of food. Basically, you can check our work"

https://howmuch.net/articles/where-t...afford-to-live

timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #2

Nice, just what I already knew, NY minus 90 Thousand, All that talk of well you got to consider proprty tax, sales tax, etc. I did consider it. I didn't need a study , I live it, Jacksonville Meet your new future resident. BTW, I dont know about now, But 5 years ago you took your life in your hands if you moved to Newark NJ. Thanks for posting this. Confirms my negative cash flows.

Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We're at -$22.9K.

For some reason, I think the COL is not too bad here. Well, except we are in a housing bubble right now, so maybe that explains it. Asking prices are enough to make your eyes water. Even rents are sky high. Luckily, we both have paid off homes.

The article's best cities for COL are mostly in Arizona, and then Newark NJ. We don't want to live in any of those places so I guess we are in the right location for us.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

I checked my little central valley location and I'm dark green and up 33 grand.

Yup, not all of CA is expensive -
Old 09-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We're at -$22.9K.

......Well, except we are in a housing bubble right now, so maybe that explains it. Asking prices are enough to make your eyes water. Even rents are sky high. .....
The neighbor just sold his house for over a million dollars, It was a borderline wreck/total rehab needed.(my opinion), the new people moved right in. Something has got to give, even a 2 income household cant buy a regular place around here anymore.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
even a 2 income household cant buy a regular place around here anymore.
I didn't think this was really anything new in NYC...crazy expensive to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For some reason, I think the COL is not too bad here. Well, except we are in a housing bubble right now, so maybe that explains it. Asking prices are enough to make your eyes water. Even rents are sky high. Luckily, we both have paid off homes.

The article's best cities for COL are mostly in Arizona, and then Newark NJ. We don't want to live in any of those places so I guess we are in the right location for us.
There is a LOT of value in living in a paid for house. We live in a fairly affluent area and if I were buying my house today (bought it in 2012), I would be priced out of the area. So, I get to enjoy many great perks of an affluent area without having to leverage my finances w/ a mortg*ge.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The neighbor just sold his house for over a million dollars, It was a borderline wreck/total rehab needed.(my opinion), the new people moved right in. Something has got to give, even a 2 income household cant buy a regular place around here anymore.
Well, they are not THAT bad here, yet. But they are getting worse. People have lost their minds.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
50 year mortgage becomes the new standard in HCOL places like NYC & CA?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
50 year mortgage becomes the new standard in HCOL places like NYC & CA?
They were routinely offering 40 year ones a few years ago.. My brother in law took one.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I remember sub-prime mortgages.....history repeating itself?
Old 09-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #11

So the bottom right side of WI has a bright pink circle when in fact you can buy a decent house in Kenosha, WI for 100k. Yet all of NV is a light grey and in Reno the average house now is 360k with the overall cost of living higher then Kenosha. I am not putting a lot of faith in this calculator.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
There is a LOT of value in living in a paid for house. We live in a fairly affluent area and if I were buying my house today (bought it in 2012), I would be priced out of the area. So, I get to enjoy many great perks of an affluent area without having to leverage my finances w/ a mortg*ge.
I don't think it's a matter of whether you're carrying a mortgage or not, it's a matter of whether you bought and fixed a price years ago. Even if real estate values sky rocket, your fixed rate mortgage would stay the same so you could still afford it.

As long as you purchase for the same price, whether you withdrew from investments to pay for the house or you partially financed with a mortgage, doesn't matter.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
So the bottom right side of WI has a bright pink circle when in fact you can buy a decent house in Kenosha, WI for 100k. Yet all of NV is a light grey and in Reno the average house now is 360k with the overall cost of living higher then Kenosha. I am not putting a lot of faith in this calculator.
Hahaha,
Old 09-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Something has got to give, even a 2 income household can't buy a regular place around here anymore.
Thats why I bailed out of NYC in 95, couldn't afford it then and couldn't afford it now. Life in suburbia is working out well.
Just_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Thats why I bailed out of NYC in 95, couldn't afford it then and couldn't afford it now. Life in suburbia is working out well.
I should have followed you. Add that to my big mistake list. I started making money around 1989, by 1995 i was doing well. I could have snatched up a nice house in orange county for 115k. My sister in law bought one in Montgomery village for about that . He was a fireman, so only 2 travel days a week.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ever been to Kenosha? I have...no jobs left unless you run a bar.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #17

Quote:
I see this too in the red bubble around Washington, D.C. We live in northern WV (included in the red bubble) and moved in 2002 from near D.C. There is a world of difference in the COL in any part of WV and D.C. The house we're living in now we couldn't have dreamed of there. Put this house within 20 miles of D.C. and it's a multi-million $$$ place. We wrote a check for it in WV.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ever been to Kenosha? I have...no jobs left unless you run a bar.
As usual I have a story. My very fist radio car partner and I said when we retire 20 years to the date of hire were were going to Florida and opening up a TIKI Bar. We didnt care if we made money , just as long as the place wasnt a drain on our pensions. He figured if we broke even he would be ahead of the game as he spent most (all?) of his paycheck at the local Gin Mills. Fast forward, he left 20 years to the date of hire. Still single. I chickened out and stayed 5 years extra(5 years 9 months and 3 days). We tried to open a bar here, but doing business around here is more than a tiki bar hobby. Maybe we need to look into this Kenosha place?
Old 09-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #19

Ever been to Kenosha? I have...no jobs left unless you run a bar. __________________
Yes I am from there and go back all the time to visit friends and family. they all have decent jobs.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Ever been to Kenosha? I have...no jobs left unless you run a bar. __________________
Yes I am from there and go back all the time to visit friends and family. they all have decent jobs.
How do you think Id make out running a tiki bar?

Tags
cost of living