Join Early Retirement Today

Another Day, Another Browser
Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another Day, Another Browser

Well..I'm at it again.

First IE was too slow so I went to Google Chrome.

Then Google Chrome crashes at times and for me doesn't handle Amazon Prime Videos well.

So now I'm using Maxthon Cloud Browser.

I haven't heard of this browser until today, but guess it's been around awhile.

So far so good.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you've never tried Firefox I would recommend it. I've used it for years and it works well.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
If you've never tried Firefox I would recommend it. I've used it for years and it works well.
That might be plan D
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
+1
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
....Then Google Chrome crashes at times and for me doesn't handle Amazon Prime Videos well......
I use Chrome all the time - no problems with Amazon Prime videos and very rarely crashes. have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I use Chrome all the time - no problems with Amazon Prime videos and very rarely crashes. have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. My connection isn't the fastest. Usually, the stream would work fine for like the first 20 minutes..then the picture would freeze. I think the prob has something to do with the flash updates.

I've had Chrome unable to load other pages too.

So far, I really like Maxthon Cloud. It is nimble..and seems stable, but not a pretty as Chrome.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

How about Opera? Everyone should have 5 browsers minimum.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Chrome 95% of the time. I like it a lot, but it can be kind of weird when it seems to know what I'm thinking. I had posted pictures of my ham and turkey sandwich on my What's for supper - Page 4 thread. I mentioned I had planned on clubs, but had ate my chicken earlier. Later I was looking at my farm on Google maps and it ask me if I wanted to know where the closest chicken sandwich shop was.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #9

I have been using Seamonkey all these years. It's the modern version of Netscape. Same basic internals as Firefox.
The SeaMonkey® Project
Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #10

I actually just switched from Chrome to Firefox a couple weeks ago. I was tired of all of the targeted ads and wanted to use Adblock Edge which is an add on for Firefox.

So far I like it a lot.

I'm also using an extension called NoSquint which allows you to easily tailor the zoom level - my eyes are getting older and I prefer higher than 100% quite often.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #11

I have had problems with all of them. I used chrome for the last year. It became unstable. I removed the program and reinstalled and it works good again.

Before that I used Firefox. Worked great. Became unreliable. removed and reinstalled. Not much better. For a while there Firefox was being changed weekly.

Recently retried Firefox and it worked good. I am used to Chrome now so I will leave Firefox alone for now.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #12

Here's a list, List of Web browsers for Windows

Try them all

They all have issues, Make sure you periodically clean temp files, history, and cache. after a while that will gum things up. Also minimize the use of toolbars, search engines and add ons that causes most of the problems. Don't run your account with admin rights. This allows sights to download and install stuff with out you knowing then your browser starts doing weird stuff.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #13

I never knew that many browsers existed! It's a big World Wide Web out there...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #14

After Mozilla updated FireFox on my computer to the latest 23.0 version several days ago, the browser frrezes every couple of hours and crashed. The error message I got back is the plugin container stopped working. It is becoming extremely frustrating.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #15

Is this what you seeing https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/qu...#answer-468431

Disable the pluging causing the problem, try running firefox in safemode to isolate the issue
Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #16

rbmartin
Thanks. I googled the internet to try to solve the problem. I saw that answer you linked to, but I don't have ghostery as a plug in, unless it also go by another name. I read somewhere that the problem of the latest version of Firefox has something to do with the Adobe Flash Player, and I cannot disable that because I need a flash player.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

+1 for firefox. Mine finally crashed last week after some errant programs downloaded to my computer and messed it up. I removed them and reinstalled FF and its working great. Never crashes like chrome & explorer.
fishnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
rbmartin
Thanks. I googled the internet to try to solve the problem. I saw that answer you linked to, but I don't have ghostery as a plug in, unless it also go by another name. I read somewhere that the problem of the latest version of Firefox has something to do with the Adobe Flash Player, and I cannot disable that because I need a flash player.
I didn't mean ghostery as the specific problem but in a generic sense that you have a plugin that likely needs to be updated/reinstalled. Try running firefox in safe mode and see if the crashes continue. It should tell you which plugin is having the problem when it crashes, remove that one and try it. I have FF23.01 + flashplayer v11.8.800.94, not having any problems. The problem I have with FF is it seems to leak memory, especially if many tabs are open.

Here's another link on flash player https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967406

They are saying updating flash to v11.8.800.94 seems to fix it. What version of flash do you have. As mentioned in the article another option is to roll FF back to 22 stable
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Have given in to using chrome, though I don't like the slowdown from opening 5 or 6 tabs. Checking process explorer, have seen as many as 12 instances of chrome running.
Main reason for Chrome, is that I use 5 different computers, and sync all of them. This, Chrome does very well. Do the alternate browsers all sync?

The other part that I like is the ease of switching back and forth to Drive, Mail, Images, Calendar, Finance, News etc, etc from the Google Plus Bar.

Side note, re the post about resizing the print on the screen. I have been using Readability since the day it came out, and would be in trouble if it didn't work. I just can't imagine adapting to the different type sizes, page layouts, multi pupups, and accidental mouse triggers that come with the different website ideas of what "user friendly" means.
Does anyone else use Readability? I'd prefer to send direct links using readability, as it's so much more direct and clean.

A last comment... after experimenting with adblockers, on FireFox, Opera and IE...have settled on 3rd party "free" HostsMan...HostsMan - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com which keeps pages free of junk. Works with all browsers I think. Need to put icon in the System Tray.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
A last comment... after experimenting with adblockers, on FireFox, Opera and IE...have settled on 3rd party "free" HostsMan...HostsMan - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com which keeps pages free of junk. Works with all browsers I think. Need to put icon in the System Tray.
Hostman is a gui interface for an old school method, editing the host file. It is browser independent, actually it affects any application that uses the host file for resolving DNS names. If you have multiple devices on your home LAN you can do the blocking on your router instead of each device. Host file blocking is simple and it works.