Another Day, Another Browser

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well..I'm at it again.

First IE was too slow so I went to Google Chrome.

Then Google Chrome crashes at times and for me doesn't handle Amazon Prime Videos well.

So now I'm using Maxthon Cloud Browser.

I haven't heard of this browser until today, but guess it's been around awhile.

So far so good.

If you've never tried Firefox I would recommend it. I've used it for years and it works well.

....Then Google Chrome crashes at times and for me doesn't handle Amazon Prime Videos well......

I use Chrome all the time - no problems with Amazon Prime videos and very rarely crashes. have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

I use Chrome all the time - no problems with Amazon Prime videos and very rarely crashes. have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. My connection isn't the fastest. Usually, the stream would work fine for like the first 20 minutes..then the picture would freeze. I think the prob has something to do with the flash updates.

I've had Chrome unable to load other pages too.

So far, I really like Maxthon Cloud. It is nimble..and seems stable, but not a pretty as Chrome.

Last edited:
I use Chrome 95% of the time. I like it a lot, but it can be kind of weird when it seems to know what I'm thinking. I had posted pictures of my ham and turkey sandwich on my What's for supper:confused: - Page 4 thread. I mentioned I had planned on clubs, but had ate my chicken earlier. Later I was looking at my farm on Google maps and it ask me if I wanted to know where the closest chicken sandwich shop was.

I actually just switched from Chrome to Firefox a couple weeks ago. I was tired of all of the targeted ads and wanted to use Adblock Edge which is an add on for Firefox.

So far I like it a lot.

I'm also using an extension called NoSquint which allows you to easily tailor the zoom level - my eyes are getting older and I prefer higher than 100% quite often.

I have had problems with all of them. I used chrome for the last year. It became unstable. I removed the program and reinstalled and it works good again.

Before that I used Firefox. Worked great. Became unreliable. removed and reinstalled. Not much better. For a while there Firefox was being changed weekly.

Recently retried Firefox and it worked good. I am used to Chrome now so I will leave Firefox alone for now.

Here's a list, List of Web browsers for Windows

Try them all :D

They all have issues, Make sure you periodically clean temp files, history, and cache. after a while that will gum things up. Also minimize the use of toolbars, search engines and add ons that causes most of the problems. Don't run your account with admin rights. This allows sights to download and install stuff with out you knowing then your browser starts doing weird stuff.

After Mozilla updated FireFox on my computer to the latest 23.0 version several days ago, the browser frrezes every couple of hours and crashed. The error message I got back is the plugin container stopped working. It is becoming extremely frustrating.

rbmartin
Thanks. I googled the internet to try to solve the problem. I saw that answer you linked to, but I don't have ghostery as a plug in, unless it also go by another name. I read somewhere that the problem of the latest version of Firefox has something to do with the Adobe Flash Player, and I cannot disable that because I need a flash player.

+1 for firefox. Mine finally crashed last week after some errant programs downloaded to my computer and messed it up. I removed them and reinstalled FF and its working great. Never crashes like chrome & explorer.

rbmartin
Thanks. I googled the internet to try to solve the problem. I saw that answer you linked to, but I don't have ghostery as a plug in, unless it also go by another name. I read somewhere that the problem of the latest version of Firefox has something to do with the Adobe Flash Player, and I cannot disable that because I need a flash player.

I didn't mean ghostery as the specific problem but in a generic sense that you have a plugin that likely needs to be updated/reinstalled. Try running firefox in safe mode and see if the crashes continue. It should tell you which plugin is having the problem when it crashes, remove that one and try it. I have FF23.01 + flashplayer v11.8.800.94, not having any problems. The problem I have with FF is it seems to leak memory, especially if many tabs are open.

Here's another link on flash player https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967406

They are saying updating flash to v11.8.800.94 seems to fix it. What version of flash do you have. As mentioned in the article another option is to roll FF back to 22 stable

Last edited:
Have given in to using chrome, though I don't like the slowdown from opening 5 or 6 tabs. Checking process explorer, have seen as many as 12 instances of chrome running.
Main reason for Chrome, is that I use 5 different computers, and sync all of them. This, Chrome does very well. Do the alternate browsers all sync?

The other part that I like is the ease of switching back and forth to Drive, Mail, Images, Calendar, Finance, News etc, etc from the Google Plus Bar.

Side note, re the post about resizing the print on the screen. I have been using Readability since the day it came out, and would be in trouble if it didn't work. I just can't imagine adapting to the different type sizes, page layouts, multi pupups, and accidental mouse triggers that come with the different website ideas of what "user friendly" means.
Does anyone else use Readability? I'd prefer to send direct links using readability, as it's so much more direct and clean.

A last comment... after experimenting with adblockers, on FireFox, Opera and IE...have settled on 3rd party "free" HostsMan...HostsMan - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com which keeps pages free of junk. Works with all browsers I think. Need to put icon in the System Tray.

A last comment... after experimenting with adblockers, on FireFox, Opera and IE...have settled on 3rd party "free" HostsMan...HostsMan - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com which keeps pages free of junk. Works with all browsers I think. Need to put icon in the System Tray.

Hostman is a gui interface for an old school method, editing the host file. It is browser independent, actually it affects any application that uses the host file for resolving DNS names. If you have multiple devices on your home LAN you can do the blocking on your router instead of each device. Host file blocking is simple and it works.

I just switched over from Maxthon to Firefox.

I was happy with Maxthon except some sites found that browser not compatible. Plus, Maxthon being made in China, I always had in the back of my mind, "Am I being spied on?" :(

Now, after some tweaking and add-ons, I'm pretty pleased with Firefox.

Back
Top Bottom