Another discussion of ss reform

sgeeeee

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
http://www.pimco.com/LeftNav/Late+Breaking+Commentary/IO/2005/IO_Feb_2005.htm

"... Rob Arnott of Research Affiliates LLC, sub-advisor of PIMCO’s all asset strategy and a co-collaborator with Peter Bernstein on several articles about risk and future asset returns, has advanced what I consider to be the most realistic take on Social Security and Medicare trust funds. Pre-funding these systems, he argues, "is basically irrelevant." And (in my own words) it matters little whether the system is pre-refunded with Treasury bonds or privately held stocks. The fact is that both of these financial assets represent a call on future production. . ."

Every time I read a pontification by a financial expert, I wonder where these guys were when their supreme leader Greenspan invented the surplus? Is all of this just hindsight disguised as intelligence?

Hello Tadpole! I see you jumped right on this topic :)

These SS discussions are obviously unavoidable on any
site having to do with ER. Everyone has an opinion
and/or prediction. Hindsight, foresight, or blind luck,
most will be wrong. I figure I have little or no control over the outcome. Just hoping for the best..........

JG

On The Daily Show the night after the State of the Union address there was a funny routine about the absolute need to address social security now because it is going to be bankrupt in 2042. Jon Stewart said "if only Eisenhower planned ahead, we would never have had the internet stock bubble in 2000." :)

Hello Tadpole!  I see you jumped right on this topic  :)

These SS discussions are obviously unavoidable on any
site having to do with ER.  Everyone has an opinion
and/or prediction.  Hindsight, foresight, or blind luck,
most will be wrong.  I figure I have little or no control over the outcome.  Just hoping for the best..........

JG

Hi John Galt, busy tonight? I got a comfy lily pad and big pool. Gators are free.

Yea, I jump on SS issues. With SS, I retire early. Without, I die at my desk. I am jealous of you guys; I admit it. SS is a way of pretending I am in the gang when I am just the observer.

Hello Tadpole. Yeah, I would really be forced to hop fast
without SS on my horizon. That program sure gives me a "leg" up. Like you, I might have to croak at my desk
otherwise. My advice to other tadpoles out there is to
save early and often. Remember, I toad you so................

JG

Here's the link, again, you might have to register.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/05/opinion/5kristof.html?oref=login&th

Mr. Nicholas D. Kristof's article argues that the Democrats have got to suggest something progressive and concrete. He even refers to Bill Clinton in 1998 stating: "We all know a demographic crisis is looming. ... If we act now it will be easier and less painful than if we wait until later." Further, If Bush is wrong, then what is right?"

The president proposes, the congress discusses, and this time they gonna vote. Hopefully, no more putting it off for another president/congress to blah blah some more.

Of course I'm probably optimistic. When the heat gets close to the off-year elections, it will be the Republicans who cave.

I shall be applying for early SS this month. No jawboning and no half-stepping for me. Pay me now! And I'd like to offer my thanks to all of you 30/40-year olds in advance.

Back
Top Bottom