Another feel good music thread

"Africa" is one of my favorite songs.

Africa is one of the great songs of all time.
Here's a version from an unexpected source - Weezer!

Peripherally related...."The wind is in from Africa...."

Great cover. I assume you know the backstory, it was a 15 year old on Twitter who relentlessly pestered Weezer for months to cover Africa that led to the cover, a #1 hit on some charts. Wonder if Mary got royalties?

I guess Weezer covered Rosanna (also Toto) a few days before Africa.

https://youtu.be/UcxxIK0fKC4

Last edited:
I had the LP for this one some 45 years ago:

LOL! DH and I just saw them on Sunday -- they sang this as well as "Take On Me" by A-ha, both pretty faithful covers, not "Weezer-ized" at all.

Some music is stirring -- some music inspires a sense of peace. Ladysmith Black Mambazo has a vocal quality that gives me serenity.

Great cover. I assume you know the backstory, it was a 15 year old on Twitter who relentlessly pestered Weezer for months to cover Africa that led to the cover, a #1 hit on some charts. Wonder if Mary got royalties?

I guess Weezer covered Rosanna (also Toto) a few days before Africa.
I did hear that.

They were being pestered to cover Toto's song. The 15 year old was thinking of Africa. But Weezer decided to be funny and covered Rosanna first. Then they followed up with Africa.

I enjoy listening to originals and really well-done covers. I find I can sometimes appreciate a good song even more that way.

If that was playing in a restaurant or something, I would have thought it was Toad-O.

Back
Top Bottom