Join Early Retirement Today

Another friend gone too young
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another friend gone too young

Getting ready to walk out the door to go to a good friends funeral. I look back in the last 10 years of the young people I have known well that have passed away is unreal. I'm talking from early 50's to 65 years of age. This man was 58 year old and in great shape never abused his body.

Always sad and it makes me even more grateful for the health I have even though it isn't perfect.

street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Getting ready to walk out the door to go to a good friends funeral. I look back in the last 10 years of the young people I have know well that have passed away is in-real. I'm talking from early 50's to 65 years of age. This man was 58 year old and in great shape never abused his body.

Always sad and it makes me even more grateful for the health I have even though it isn't perfect.
Sorry to hear.
This die young reference is probably mentioned most by me to explain why retire young.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

My condolences. A related aspect is how friends in their 60's and early 70's usually seem to loose the ability to enjoy physical outdoor activities like biking and kayaking. Big reminders to not take time and physical health for granted.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #4

I just learned of my cousins passing yesterday. He was 61. Hed always been a big and tall man. He loved to eat and physical activity was difficult for him as he had bad knees and stints from prior heart surgery. We are all shocked at his passing even though we understand his body was probably a ticking time bomb. He was a good guy, and Ill miss him. He had retired two years ago, and seemingly was very much enjoying his time. At least he had a couple years of that. But still, so young.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

So sorry for your loss. I recently learned that one of my close high school friends (59 years old and still working) has Acute Erythroid Leukemia, which is a rare form of cancer and does not have a very high survival rate. We are going to visit him this weekend. He will be getting a bone marrow transplant next month (his son is the donor) at MD Andersen. We're praying for a good result.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

An all too vivid reminder that none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Sorry for your loss...
Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

I look at the obits a few times a week and so many in their 50's you see weekly that have passed away.

I was talking to a young man after the funeral today that I knew and he asked how retirement is going and if I made the right decision. I said this funeral is just one more reason if you can you should retire and enjoy life. He said that is true.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
This die young reference is probably mentioned most by me to explain why retire young.
True. But in all honesty a lot of that is confirmation bias.

Most folks wouldn't be here in the first place if they didn't want to retire young. Hearing anecdotes of relatively young people passing reaffirms that predilection.

We tend to ignore the anecdotes about the hard-living, drinking, smoking acquaintances that live into their 90s, since they don't support our narrative.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post

Most folks wouldn't be here in the first place if they didn't want to retire young. Hearing anecdotes of relatively young people passing reaffirms that predilection.

We tend to ignore the anecdotes about the hard-living, drinking, smoking acquaintances that live into their 90s, since they don't support our narrative.
If I could somehow be guaranteed to live until I was in my 90's I would still want to retire early.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
True. But in all honesty a lot of that is confirmation bias

So True >>>> I know many that smoked for 70 plus years and lived well into their 90's or late 80's. Not sure I knew an alcoholic that lived well into their 90's but I knew/know of many that drank pretty hard and lived a long life. Not saying their last years were easy but lived long.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not me. I plan to be one of those hard-living, drinking, vaping fellows that lives into his 90s, and I retired at 50.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
So True >>>> I know many that smoked for 70 plus years and lived well into their 90's or late 80's. Not sure I knew an alcoholic that lived well into their 90's but I knew/know of many that drank pretty hard and lived a long life. Not saying their last years were easy but lived long.

Not true in my experience. Personally, I can't really think of any friends that are/were significant smokers and few that I would consider hard drinkers. All of those that I knew were of my parents generation and most died prematurely. There are just so many ways that smoking can shorten or worsen your life and many people don't recognized several of them.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I agree.

But, if it works, who cares?

I lost a close relative and several friends to disease in their mid 50's to early 60's. A few more were so disabled by sickness that their lives have been drastically altered and their plans for the 'Golden Years' went down the drain. That forced me to take a deep dive in what it would take to retire, and, to my surprise, I found out that my years of saving, investing and LBYM had paid off and I could do it. So I did.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #14

^ I grew up in a very small rural community people worked very hard each and every day and almost every man smoked. My dad smoked and all his friends smoked and thinking of the dozen or so I knew all lived well into their late 80's and early 90's. I'm just saying I witnessed it and knew these men and their kids well.

I'm not saying it is the thing to do and I know it isn't healthy in many ways but they lived a long life.

My dad smoked for 70 plus and died when he was 88. No lung problems but I'm convinced that his smoking cut him short on life. If he would not have smoked he would of been 90 plus years old I would guess. My mom lived around smoke all her life and passed away at 92 year old. She might be still living if not for second hand smoke but who knows.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #15

The average age for most on this board is about 85. That means 50% of us will be gone prior to reaching 85. So it is not surprising that you begin to see 50-70s as a death age.
The table at https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr53/nvsr53_06.pdf gives you a good picture. At 50, 92% are still with us, and at 70, it is down to about 72%. So 20% of the folks out there are expected to die between the age of 50 and 70.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #16

The average age is 85?!! That surprises me. Do we actually know the stats.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
The average age for most on this board is about 85. That means 50% of us will be gone prior to reaching 85. So it is not surprising that you begin to see 50-70s as a death age.
The table at https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr53/nvsr53_06.pdf gives you a good picture. At 50, 92% are still with us, and at 70, it is down to about 72%. So 20% of the folks out there are expected to die between the age of 50 and 70.

Interesting article and data thanks for sharing it.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^ I grew up in a very small rural community people worked very hard each and every day and almost every man smoked. My dad smoked and all his friends smoked and thinking of the dozen or so I knew all lived well into their late 80's and early 90's. I'm just saying I witnessed it and knew these men and their kids well.

I'm not saying it is the thing to do and I know it isn't healthy in many ways but they lived a long life.

My dad smoked for 70 plus and died when he was 88. No lung problems but I'm convinced that his smoking cut him short on life. If he would not have smoked he would of been 90 plus years old I would guess. My mom lived around smoke all her life and passed away at 92 year old. She might be still living if not for second hand smoke but who knows.
I remember the same, everyone smoked. More so in the 1960s and early 70s. I remember my uncle smoked Camel non-filter well into his 80s.

My DF was a 2-3 pack a day guy. He quit cold turkey on his way back from his mother's funeral. After he quit he became a serious anti-smoker and hated them. He'd told a story about a co-worker who was dying of lung cancer while DF was still smoking, 1960s. He said the man begged him to tell their co-workers that cigarettes were the cause of his untimely death. The old man never told that story till after he quit.

I have a dear friend still smoking at 63. His smoking DF passed in his early 50s from cancer. My buddy thinks since his DF didn't die from lung cancer he's safe.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

More and more this echoes my 'philosophy:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #20

Quote:
A good approximation of a bell curve. There will be people at both ends of the curve regardless of how they lived their lives. Within the restrictions of the DNA you were handed out, best you can do is to do those things that push yourself to be on the right hand side of the distribution.....

big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote