Another 'great' experience with USAA

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a crack in my windshield. I called USAA to get it repaired. I went through almost two hours of phone call h3ll. There automated system routed me to Safeflight everytime I even said glass!

USAA has outsourced glass repair to Safeflight. Safeflight said the repair would be $500 and I could have it done anywhere. However, if I did not have it done at Safeflight, USAA would only pay $500 on the claim. I pointed out I already had an estimate from Safeflight of over $1,100 as the safety systems, lane keeping, and auto breaking would need adjusting after the windshield install. Safeflight said that did not matter, $500 was what USAA would pay. Dealer quote is between $1,600 and $1,800.

Before the day was over, Safeflight pitched a $36 windshield wiper upgrade, and sent me an estimate for right $1,000 to do the job. I personally think this is cheesy, and USAA should put a stop to it.

No one at Safeflight or USAA seemed to understand or care that Safeflight was lowballing the finale bill by omitting the additional work. i.e. they followed their script.

I do not think wanting the dealer to do the wok is unjustified. In one correspondence it was admitted that the dealer uses original parts and the increase price is not justified. However, USAA, I believe will use OEM parts if the client request. A franchised organization can not possibly be as proficient in all the make and model cars on the market as a dealer. I have had a local shop turn down working of a previous car because they said they just can not keep up with the equipment to adequately repair electronic systems in today's cars.

My real complaint with USAA is they have a great ad campaign that shows how concerned they are about their clients. However, in the end they are a big corporation, doing what corporations do.

USAA has, quite possibly the best phone bank operators I have worked with. They seem generally concerned about your problems. However, they don't seem to have any authority to kick your call up a level and if your problem is off their script, things will not end well.

NOTE: I scheduled the repair with the dealer, canceled the claim, paid for the repair in full. I will transfer my IRA's to Vanguard, may transfer the bank to a local bank, and will look into other providers of insurance.

RANT OVER! Yes it made me feel better!

These service issues fit with the confusing "apology" letter USAA sent to members in December. Strange message...

Attachments

• USAA apology letter.jpg
    USAA apology letter.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 85
Safelite (not Safeflight) can also do the calibration of safety systems after replacing the windshield, but AFAIK they charge an additional $300 for that.

Sounds like you got a terrible experience. I'm dreading when my windshield needs replacement, because I know the dealer will bill for at least two hours if not three in addition to the cost of the glass.

Are you sure the dealer is doing the job or farming it out? I asked my dealer and they said they send it out and gave me the info.

Last edited:
NOTE: I scheduled the repair with the dealer, canceled the claim, paid for the repair in full. I will transfer my IRA's to Vanguard, may transfer the bank to a local bank, and will look into other providers of insurance.

RANT OVER! Yes it made me feel better!

That's three different companies. USAA IMCO (maybe Victory now?), USAA Fed Savings Bank, and USAA Insurance.

Hard to keep up with all the USAA companies and what's going on.

I wondered if I was the only one not happy with USAA lately...I have spent so much time on the phone with them regarding their practices in general. They've changed quite a bit - they are marketing to a younger crowd and forgetting their previous core customers. With my move, I have kept my insurance (three hours on the phone for that!) but will be decreasing my banking and credit card involvement with them. They used to be very good - not so much anymore. I had a very long (1.5 hour) phone discussion with a senior customer service rep regarding some of their practices. I pointed out that I could reverse engineer what was happening with their user interfaces and that their database practices were not secure (they still haven't taken my ex-husband off my insurance after I've told them 4 times) or consistent with regard to proper information.

I have threatened to leave them after 38 years......as for now, like I said, it's going to be insurance only from now on with minimal banking.

I have had USAA over 30 years but I have slowly moved all services away from the company. They brag about how good they are and spend nonstop money to advertise. Car Insurance cost were outrageous compared to Geico who is very pro military. Forget about home insurance, way too expensive compared to many reputable companies. Stock trade cost 10 years ago were priced lower than most companies, now all the other companies have lowered prices and USAA has not. I get nonstop spam email and now even calls pushing USAA services. Car Buying service means a million calls and emails. See you later USAA, you were once a company I bragged about but now an expensive business model.

I think the media blitz is step 1 of the turnaround....well actually, step1 was the CEO apology, stating we will be spending lots of money to remain competitive.

Step 2 is staff reduction followed by...
Step 3 a decrease in earnings/stock price and employee morale.

I am a veteran, but I use SF. I don't know or think USAA would be competitive but who knows.

+1 with increasing dissatisfaction with USAA. My most recent issues have been with them repeatedly shutting down my cash back Visa card. They will flag a purchase that I DID MAKE and send a text to confirm the transaction. I say "yes." I get an email asking to call to confirm the transaction. I do that. Then, next time I try to use card...DENIED. This has happened to me THREE TIMES in less than a month. I have tried my best to see what can be done about it, and USAA simply says, "Sorry that happened. Confirm the charge next time and it won't happen again." I tell them, "I DID confirm the charge, but you STILL shut off the card to which they say, "Sorry that happened. Confirm the charge next time and it won't happen again." So, I try another way to explain and they say, ""Sorry that happened. Confirm the charge next time and it won't happen again." Uh...OK...well, I tell them yet again that system doesn't work and they say, ""Sorry that happened. Confirm the charge next time and it won't happen again."

I am glad they opened membership to more folks that have served, but I am afraid that they opened the gate TOO WIDE. You walked by a recruiters office in 1984? AWESOME...SOME ON IN AND JOIN US!!!

Also, I think that since it's run by a bunch of retired military who have lots of experience with using contractors for many services in the military, they figure the same thing can be done to save a little money.

But yes, I am tired of the buffonery. I *never* had issues like this with Amica.

Do people really keep such high deductibles on their comprehensive coverage?

Here comprehensive with a $100 deductible is only~$60 annually for each of my vehicles, exception is an old Mercedes (~$200)...but I'm glad I had it when a deer hit it (paid a ~$3,000 claim)

I even keep comprehensive on vehicles where I've dropped collision (there I can understand a $500 deductible)

I've moved investments and even a savings account from USAA to Fido over the last few years, because things I can do online at Fido require that I call USAA. No thank you!

(I'm referring to backdoor Roth conversion and a CD ladder, basically.)

I buy my insurance through a broker. I call the broker and he deals with the insurance company. No problem.

My car/home insurance with USAA has always been great and definitely the lowest cost available. I make it a point to check every 2-3 years and it's consistently the best deal.

Banking, on the other hand, hasn't kept up with the times. Actions I can take care of in 30 seconds online elsewhere require at least a ten minute phone call here. Disappointing, but I'm hopeful they are getting the message.

I sent and email to the CEO, and shock within two days I had a call from a USAA Rep. While I forget her exact job, in essence her job was to look into his complaint emails and prepare a summary of why the email was sent. In the conversation I told her that I had been with them for 53 years, had a sizeable investment, banking, and savings with them. My concern is they are not the firm it use to be, despite the ad campaign. That they have systematically sub-contracted much of their work. Mortgage, boat inscurance, scooter insurance, glass replacement, and not investing. While I had great faith in the USAA of bygone era, that faith is gone. When they sold the mutual fund business for $1.2 billion, good for USAA, but I don't know the new people. Are they Bernie Madoff's children? OK, most likely not. But I thought I knew USAA and could trust them. Anyway the phone call was lengthy. Good part it was all on the Apple Watch, and appeared to work better than the phone.

I learned somethings. First, in your auto policy it says they may use aftermarket parts. There cut off is two year. If the auto is older than that no OEM parts. I ask if that was in there, but she did not know. Or if my insurance went down after two years. No Answer.

Yes, I have $1,000 deductable, NCBILL, thanks I'll be looking into that.

The cost at Safelite (last quote I got) was $1,000 The cost for the dealer to complete the replacement was, OEM windshield $1,200, putting it in $90, and they waved the recalibration fee, which was $600! from Saftlite.

I sent and email to the CEO, and shock within two days I had a call from a USAA Rep. While I forget her exact job, in essence her job was to look into his complaint emails and prepare a summary of why the email was sent. In the conversation I told her that I had been with them for 53 years, had a sizeable investment, banking, and savings with them. My concern is they are not the firm it use to be, despite the ad campaign. That they have systematically sub-contracted much of their work. Mortgage, boat inscurance, scooter insurance, glass replacement, and not investing. While I had great faith in the USAA of bygone era, that faith is gone. When they sold the mutual fund business for $1.2 billion, good for USAA, but I don't know the new people. Are they Bernie Madoff's children? OK, most likely not. But I thought I knew USAA and could trust them. Anyway the phone call was lengthy. Good part it was all on the Apple Watch, and appeared to work better than the phone.

I learned somethings. First, in your auto policy it says they may use aftermarket parts. There cut off is two year. If the auto is older than that no OEM parts. I ask if that was in there, but she did not know. Or if my insurance went down after two years. No Answer.

Yes, I have $1,000 deductable, NCBILL, thanks I'll be looking into that.

The cost at Safelite (last quote I got) was $1,000 The cost for the dealer to complete the replacement was, OEM windshield $1,200, putting it in $90, and they waved the recalibration fee, which was $600! from Saftlite.

Good info. I have often thought about these emails to CEOs. I also wonder on occasion of writing an old fashion letter and sending it to their home. Then they might *actually* read it.

Good info. I have often thought about these emails to CEOs. I also wonder on occasion of writing an old fashion letter and sending it to their home. Then they might *actually* read it.
I can tell you that the CEO of Home Depot is responsive. As is the CEO of TMobile. Tmobile has a CEO response team of the most competent youngsters I've encountered lately that understand due dates, ticklers, travel and have common sense and most importantly, have the authority and ability to execute decisions/actions.

I can tell you that the CEO of Home Depot is responsive. As is the CEO of TMobile. Tmobile has a CEO response team of the most competent youngsters I've encountered lately that understand due dates, ticklers, travel and have common sense and most importantly, have the authority and ability to execute decisions/actions.

I just read an article about Stuart Parker CEO of USAA and he says he does answer his email "with the help of a team." All I know is I have two good addresses for him and think I might actually send him some mail about my thoughts on USAA's recent issues.

Although I'm in agreement that USAA isn't the company it once was, they still do some things well. We had hail damage to our roof from a storm in April and USAA paid the claim promptly. The amount I received to replace the roof was fair and reasonable.

I concur on the hail damage claim. But as someone once said it takes a thousand ata-boys to over come one OH-Sh!t

And yes, the person I heard from was from Parker's team.

Concur on the roof replacement. They did very right by us replacing a roof recently

Back
Top Bottom