Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone remember that famous putdown that ended all the putdowns in the movie Sandlot? How things have changed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have to look it up. Must be this scene.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #23

Yes you got it. Actually, one of my favorite movies, lots of inside jokes for those of us who grew up during that period. I still remember putting on my new PF Flyers and running up and down the street to see if I really could run faster. And I was convinced I could!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:52 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The pendulum has swung way too far over to one side of the PC scale IMHO.
You must watch everything you do and say, and everything you don’t do and say, otherwise there will be someone somewhere to cry foul!

Now that being said, he is really stupid for not thinking twice about posting what he posted. It is very easy to find yourself "6 feet under" when you are the one digging the grave for them!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm having trouble seeing why it's such a big deal. We have the head of the PGA responding to criticism of US players by a Brit. A comment likening him to "crying like a girl at recess" seems pretty mild and was more of a way of minimalizing the comment. How it crosses the line into "sexism" escapes me. I'm thinking the PC police have gone off the reservation on this one. (Pun intended!)
Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

So glad that I don't use Twitter.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #27

It seems these days we are more insulted by words than actions.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #28

Standards of what's considered acceptable to say in public is changing and I think this is for the better. Trying to insult someone by comparing them to another demographic group is asking for trouble.

I'm guessing though that there may have been other reasons to fire the guy and this may have just been the last straw.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

No two ways about it, that twitter comment far outweighs any of the good he might have accomplished promoting golf over the years. Striking his name from ever being associated is the least they could do.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #30

I believe that actions like this could be indicative of early stage dementia when it is very common for good judgement and filters to start to decline. Impulsive behavior occurs more frequently, and the person doing it seems just as surprised at it as everyone else.

We all have to filter our speech, but people in the public eye are usually very successful at it because of the possible consequences. I think Donald Sterling was demonstrating some signs of dementia when his comments were considered racist and he ultimately lost the LA Clippers.

I think Ted Bishop is pretty young, and probably is still very sharp mentally. But I do believe that small impulse control issues start to indicate some mental boundary changes.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't have used that phrase but it always makes me laugh.

Golf in the USA and the US golf pros are not doing well at all for many reasons no doubt. Maybe the PGA saw an opportunity to boot him and took it.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #32

In this type of "firing," punishment sometimes does not fit the crime. If Clinton kept his job after Lewinsky scandal ... then again, there were no tweeter or FB then to broadcast things blow by blow as it happens. Also, as Bob Dylan's song says, times they are a changing. Time has changed, and so are the acceptable PC behavior for public figures. There is no crying over the changes saying we went overboard on PC. You need to learn to deal with it, especially for someone in that position.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #33

These tweets / posts show what these people *really* think & believe in. They can say what they want later, but their behavior & statements in unguarded moments tell the truth about their innermost beliefs.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So glad that I don't use Twitter.
Off the topic... but the power of twitter to most of us (non - public figures) is as listeners - not tweeters. With a little search, you can get the latest status on news stories, traffic, weather, road conditions, tips for places to see etc.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
....If Clinton kept his job after Lewinsky scandal ....... to broadcast things blow by blow as it happens. ....
You make me laugh.

I wonder what in the world ever happened to that dress?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You make me laugh.

I wonder what in the world ever happened to that dress?

All my puns are intended.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
These tweets / posts show what these people *really* think & believe in. They can say what they want later, but their behavior & statements in unguarded moments tell the truth about their innermost beliefs.
I think this is much too general. Sometimes it means nothing. Just off the cuff remarks which mean something to you, that mean something entirely different to the listener. A quick tweet or remark means just that you haven't considered everything it might mean to every listener. It is just what it means to you at the moment, which might be quite different from what is taken by a listener.

Much better to take into account the totality of the person, his deeds, his thoughtful words, his treatment of others etc. If any flippant remark any of us ever made were to determine our entire future, we would all be sunk.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
If Clinton kept his job after Lewinsky scandal ... then again, there were no tweeter or FB then to broadcast things blow by blow as it happens.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

If someone is trying to offend I notice. If there is no intent and actions don't suggest evil thought I don't. There is way too much real evil in the world - and yet it is easier and safer to tut tut in outrage over nonsense like this little girl comment.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #40

I often dismiss the overreaction to remarks like these. I thought the "girlie men" remarks by Gov. Schwarzenegger were pretty funny and that was only 10 years ago.

To me, the worst case of PC gone totally awry was when in 1999 David Howard, a white aide to Washington D.C.'s black mayor Anthony Williams, used the word "niggardly" in reference to a budget. He was forced to resign after someone complained about it and how it sounded too much like another word which actually is offensive. And Howard was correctly using the word which had absolutely NOTHING to do with black people.

Controversies about the word "niggardly" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So because someone else doesn't know what this other word means, Howard had to lose his job? That rots.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote