Join Early Retirement Today

Another Kill a watt offer 17.99 with free shipping..
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Kill a watt offer 17.99 with free shipping..

Kill A Watt $17.99 with Free Shipping

save another 50 cents with fat cash...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally picked one up to see if I can get my electric bill down to 20 dollars like T-Al. I am running an older window air conditioner that I picked up for free and works well...see how much I am wasting...
Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Can I have your autograph, Maddy. Saw you on TV this A.M. You were well lit.

My new neighbor has a dog that sounds like a huge barking seal. Turns out its a small white fluffy thing.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Kill-a-watt looks like a neat gadget.
Too bad it doesn't have a tranformer clamp to measure current so you don't have to unplug the appliance being tested. I am going to get one.

T-Al got his home electric bill down to $20/mnth - great job.
I think the only way I can match that would be to go on a 4 week vacation!

Speaking of energy savings. I just moved to a newer home from a 40y old house. As a result I am realizing improved energy efficiency.
I will install a whole house fan. Works great in Sacramento where summer temps gets over 100F.
But is a dry heat and evening air is often cooled by Delta.
On such days, turn on whole house fan at early evening instead of running AC.
Local electric company is running a $100 rebate on whole house fan. Add in a 10% discount from Lowes coupon, my break-even point is under 1 year and positive going forward. Not to mention reduce wear on AC and energy consumption.
me_no_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like I live up the street from you.

I've been running whole house fans for years. You will have a small problem with it in the form of insulation. That little louvered metal door is a lousy insulator.

On my latest place, I used one of the WWF's that has a pair of motorized insulated 'doors' that open when the fan is on and close when they're off. I also considered, but never tried, making a pair of insulated panels on lightly spring loaded hinges and attaching those to the top of a regular 24" fan so that when the fan goes on, the air blows the panels up and out of the way, and they close again when the fan goes off.

One thing I like about the WWF I bought is that it has a really low low setting, about 800-900 cfm. Nice when you want some fresh air flow but its a little cool out. I had to get up at 3am and shut the regular 2000+cfm models off on cooler nights.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
If one of the people in my neighborhood lets something grow way out into the sidewalk, next time I take the dogs for a walk I bring a lopper. It gets taken care of.
Not going to tell you where I live.
I don't want you to trim my heroin plants.
me_no_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Well.... I tried to get one that last time someone posted here... but they were sold out....

BUT, I did get one this time... another toy to play with.. and if I actually do something with it... then GREAT...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote