Another 'Knowing When it's Time' article

For those who really have to make the decision and are facing "one more year syndrome", yeah. There's a lot to think about and a lot of tradeoffs to be made between "freedom" and economic security.

Folks like me didn't have a decision to make. Folks like me get laid off, fortunately just after DW started a new career that's off to a good start, go to FIRECalc and other resources and run the numbers, and realize.... I don't HAVE to throw my hat back into the ring unless I want to and it's something I want to do and mostly on my terms.

I quite envy the people who had the choice of whether to succumb to OMY syndrome, or whether to pull the plug. I had originally planned to work another 5-10 years but like ziggy, the choice was made for me when my company went out of business. I tried, but couldn't quite muster the mojo to work again. For whatever reason, my get up and go had got up and gone.

I quite envy the people who had the choice of whether to succumb to OMY syndrome, or whether to pull the plug. I had originally planned to work another 5-10 years but like ziggy, the choice was made for me when my company went out of business. I tried, but couldn't quite muster the mojo to work again. For whatever reason, my get up and go had got up and gone.

Did it work out for you?

While the decision to quit was mine, I would have to say that I lost my mojo to work again as well. I just don't have it in me anymore to go into an office five days a week and have my life revolve around a job.

If you had asked me a few years ago, I would have said I plan to work easily until my 60's because I love to work and couldn't imagine not working and having so much free time on my hands. My how things can change so drastically in just a few years! I never would have seen this coming. But I'm very happy with my decision. No regrets.

Did it work out for you?
So far, yes, but it's really too early to tell. I stopped work in 2009, and began portfolio withdrawals in 2011. The market has been very kind to us in the last few years, so I'll wait a while longer before declaring this experiment a success.What helped it work has been maintaining a fairly low material standard of living (cheap apartment, no car etc). This was a lifestyle I had been practicing while working anyway, so it doesn't feel like a sacrifice.

Last edited:
Last edited:
(30 years in Silicon Valley)

I bet there's a guy somewhere who works in a Burger King or MacDonalds in San Jose or nearby, who tells his friends he's had a long career in Silicon Valley just to impress 'em :D

Back
Top Bottom