Another Mac problem.....can't read Hotmail

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Until late yesterday, I had no problem using Chrome/Hotmail. Later in the day when I went to use the Mac, it wasn't sleeping and didn't wake up as it usually does when I opened the cover. It was dark and to get it to work I had to turn it off/on again. There was some message that Chrome had not been closed properly......don't know why since we usually just turn the
AirPort off and leave Chrome on.

Pretty much all the sites I visit worked normally (even including this one!).
One site looked different in format but was still functional. I could enter and leave Hotmail but couldn't open mail or folders. I tried using Safari/Hotmail and I could open some old mail that way but I just tried that this morning and no luck.......so w/ both Chrome and Safari, Hotmail is acting deaf and dumb.

Any ideas?

Same as previous advice on these issues - clear your browser cache. A forced shutdown in particular can lead to some corrupted files. You got the message that Chrome wasn't closed properly because it wasn't - the forced shut down is like pulling the plug on it. When you close it, it goes through a controlled process of closing files and such. This doesn't have a chance to occur when you force a shutdown of the computer.

I'd also do another proper shutdown and start up or two, or three. I never really trust the first start-up after a forced shutdown, it might take one more cycle to clean everything up properly.

edit - if you still have problems, try booting from the dvd that came with the mac, and running the disk utility. Check the manual or google for details.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Get a PC with windows so it will just work? ;)

You should have the Disk Utility application in your Utilities folder (inside your Applications folder). Run it and tell it to "repair permissions" on your drive. That is worth doing every once in a while, just on general principles. It may very well make your machine run better.

You should have the Disk Utility application in your Utilities folder (inside your Applications folder). Run it and tell it to "repair permissions" on your drive. That is worth doing every once in a while, just on general principles. It may very well make your machine run better.

Yes, you can do that, but that is about all you can do if you just run Disk Utility from the Utilities folder. To do an actual disk repair of anything 'funny', you need to boot into another system - a system can't run most of these repairs on itself (permission repair an exception).

For most people, this is easiest by booting from the DVD. I would always reformat my Macs, and add a small partition with a basic system (I've done it in less than 3GB, not sure what a current minimal install needs), so I could just boot into that to do disk repairs. And I always kept a 'clone' on an external drive that I could boot into. That is far easier on a Mac than on Windows or Linux (Windows makes it hard to protect their IP, Linux actually identifies the hardware it boots from, so a clone might need to be modified to 'see' the different hard drive - PITA).

I'm not sure, but I think I read the 'disk permission repair' isn't as big a deal as it once was, but it can't hurt. IIRC, there are a few 'error' messages that come up, that are 'normal' - again, this could change with the newer systems. Come to think of it, 10.7 (Lion) comes with a separate partition (so they can do network updates), but I don't know if you can boot into it and run Disk Utility, or if it is totally hidden from the user.

Get a PC with windows so it will just work? ;)

heh-heh - did CFB put you up to that? ;)

I know you are just kidding, but for anyone who might not know, this kind of a problem can occur with any browser, any OS. I've had to clear the cache a few times on my Linux machine too.

-ERD50

I think I know how to clear the cache using Safari. I did that but it didn't seem to help. Is there another cache when I use Chrome......I don't know how to clear that if there is one. With Safari I click on Safari and
a clear cache option appears but not w/ Chrome.

I think I know how to clear the cache using Safari. I did that but it didn't seem to help. Is there another cache when I use Chrome......I don't know how to clear that if there is one. With Safari I click on Safari and
a clear cache option appears but not w/ Chrome.

Well, I could tell you, or I could teach a man to fish:

google

chrome browser how clear cache

-ERD50

Well, I could tell you, or I could teach a man to fish:

google

chrome browser how clear cache

-ERD50

Ok, thanks, I'm set for the next 1000 yrs! I thought Apples were supposed to be great bc of their consistency......forgot that Chrome was google.

Actually Chrome and Safari are similar.....the words were different so I didn't recognize that clear cache on Safari was translated to something about browsing data on Chrome.

ok , now. Another happy customer :) thanks again.

Last edited:
Chrome > Clear Browsing Data is the answer.

You probably have a permissions problem, so need to find out how to boot to command line and repair those.

Nope, that wont work.

I figured it might. ;)

See you again in 2012 ole CFB?

I'll mock the "OMG I have to get an new iphone 5/ipad4/Macbook/iWhatever" folks and you know that will be your cue to make a brief cameo appearance.

Back
Top Bottom