Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Yah, Texas Proud, that would be great if we all understood the pricing model the cable company (or Netflix, or Hulu+) uses. Unfortunately, like everything retail, some channels subsidize other channels, and the service company has a profit built it as well.

So, you get one layer of service with the cable company that includes 40 channels - mostly ones not too interesting, but three to five that basically are useful to you (those 5 pay for the other 35). That means you're paying $60 a month for the 5 channels that have some usefulness, and and the other 35 are free!

But if you really want some additional channels in the next tier, you have to pay the added $20 for another 50 channels, of which you only wanted three. And $30 for another 50 channels in Tier 3.

The cable company could get you an a la carte menu, but the pricing would be much different: Like
$60 for the basic channels
$10 per month for each channel in Tier 2,
$20 per month for each channel in Tier 3. Pretty soon, you're looking at:

$60 (sorry sir it's the minimum charge + the taxes don't forget those!)
$20 for the 2 channels in tier 2 you want
$40 for the 2 channels in tier 3 you want
So, $120 + taxes per month for cable a la carte

You can have it your way!

I don't know what you pay, but I pay $60 a month for basic plus tier 2 channels (and I don't care about what they have in tier 3).

-- Rita

But I do not see the prices like you do...

Say $20 to have you connected.... (maybe $10)... maybe $10 for local channels (maybe less)... and then you buy only the 5 or 10 channels you want at say $1 each and maybe $5 for ESPNs many channels... total of $45 instead of the $70ish I pay now...

And we all know that they can charge much less than what they do since they ALWAYS have a special going on for new customers.... and half the price we are paying..... or even less....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Live sports are the only thing that keep us from cutting cable.

Every year I call Scamcast and re-initiate the new customer rate by threatening to go to Dish. Little bit of a PITA ... but it keeps the cable and internet to about $100/mo.

That said, I am rehabing the basement at the lake in a game room theme and will have a flat panel screen on the wall with a Roku. Between Roku and a Slingbox we get what we want at the lake. Really not interested in 2 cable bills.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
But I do not see the prices like you do...

Say $20 to have you connected.... (maybe $10)... maybe $10 for local channels (maybe less)... and then you buy only the 5 or 10 channels you want at say $1 each and maybe $5 for ESPNs many channels... total of $45 instead of the $70ish I pay now...

And we all know that they can charge much less than what they do since they ALWAYS have a special going on for new customers.... and half the price we are paying..... or even less....
Interesting Idea! First year service is a loss leader, and they don't make money on the customer. But they do when you get past the first year.

I think there is a lot to be said for wanting to pay for only what you use. I do that with cell phone service, using a pay as you go provider. Using the phone service is relatively inexpensive, but buying the cell phone is not!

But I suspect that to make the minimum profit that cable companies need to pay salaries and re-invest in the technology, a la carte pricing will be a lot higher. I think if you could get a reduction for the channels you don't want, the credit would be significantly less than you think it should be.

Bottom-line: fiber optic cable (or satellites) and maintaining that network is not cheap - the content that goes over the network is cheap, as you've discovered.

-- Rita
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen

HOAs might not be able to prevent it, if it falls within the FAA's Over-the-Air rules:

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov
HOAs have been taken to court over this. They cannot prevent people from putting up an antenna to receive TV.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #65
Confused about dryer sheets

Bundled subscriptions

I'm living in an over 55 retirement community in PA. We are restricted as to our telephone, cable company and internet provider. I was very happy to read that info in the Verge. We get over charged for it all and cannot change. I would very much like to use another carrier. Is this bundling lawful in PA?

I'll stayed tuned to this thread.: