Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Another nail for Cable TV's (all bundled subscription) coffin?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another nail for Cable TV's (all bundled subscription) coffin?

Netflix, Hulu and now HBO. And millennials are cutting the cord way more aggressively than our generation. I just need to convince DW, I'm ready!

What HBO's Web-Online Subscription Will Mean for Cable Cord Cutters
Quote:
If you’ve been considering cutting the cord to your cable-TV subscription, HBO may have just handed you the scissors. At Time Warner’s investor meeting Wednesday, CEO Richard Plepler announced that beginning in 2015, HBO will offer a standalone online service, allowing broadband customers without cable TV to subscribe.

But however this particular deal works out, this is a potentially exciting development for TV viewers tired of watching their cable packages swell into bloated, gold-laden barges of tied-together offerings topping $200 a month. If big player HBO sees that it can offer a cable-free package and survive, that may lead the way for companies in other pricey TV sectors–live sports, for instance–which you’ve had to agree to buy a giant cable package to get.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the sports teams are more nervous. Allowing someone to opt out of the sports channels will take a huge chunk away from the TV contracts.

If it wasn't for TV revenue, there would be a very limited amount of money to pay the outrageous sums for sports salaries.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Are they going to charge an arm and a leg? Their series available for purchase via iTunes are very expensive which is why I haven't bothered.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #4

I'll continue to wait till after the season ends and watch the show on Amazon Prime.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd be happy to cut the satellite, but DH still wants TV available somewhere. Our bill is about $100/mo. The actual satellite costs aren't that bad, but there are about $40 in extras (DVR, HBO and HD reception).

We currently have wireless internet. It's 6 mbps and pretty cheap (around $20/mo.). However, it's not fast enough to stream HD video during the peak hours. What's the alternative? Comcast? Won't that be just as much?

We are waiting for a local company to install fiber. Once they do, we can get 25 mbps for $30/mo. or 50 mbps for $40. Our neighbors a block over have it, but we do not yet.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'll continue to wait till after the season ends and watch the show on Amazon Prime.
Right, I also have that option now. But not two years ago when I looked at the pricing structure.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Netflix, Hulu and now HBO. And millennials are cutting the cord way more aggressively than our generation.
I was at the drugstore the other day I overheard a conversation between a couple of girls around 12 or 13. They were commenting that they watch Youtube beauty and fashion channels when they are bored.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Are they going to charge an arm and a leg? Their series available for purchase via iTunes are very expensive which is why I haven't bothered.
The $64K question. But like many/most, we never watch about 80% of the garbage "channels" in our satellite/cable "package." If we could subscribe to just the networks we actually watch/want, it's hard to believe they'll collectively charge more than the total satellite package cost. The networks know that obviously, so it must be in their internet pricing calculus (if not, demand will quickly fix their pricing). It would seem a great opportunity for popular networks to increase revenue while net reducing costs to consumers. And if some of the less popular networks fail, that's as it should be.

Neflix, HBO and others are one thing. As everyone knows, if ESPN ever breaks with cable/satellite subscription, the dragon will truly be unleashed. While there are powerful forces protecting the network status quo, cord cutters continue to increase, so the old model will break down sooner or later...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post
I was at the drugstore the other day I overheard a conversation between a couple of girls around 12 or 13. They were commenting that they watch Youtube beauty and fashion channels when they are bored.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've actually watched 1 or 2 unboxing videos on YouTube for some gadget in which I was interested.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #10

I wonder what the average markup the cable companies use on content they purchase? I suppose that cutting out the middleman could result in substantial savings.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit that I've actually watched 1 or 2 unboxing videos on YouTube for some gadget in which I was interested.
Why be ashamed? There's a lot to learn on YouTube, and it isn't all about cats!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Neflix, HBO and others are one thing. As everyone knows, if ESPN ever breaks with cable/satellite subscription, the dragon will truly be unleashed. While there are powerful forces protecting the network status quo, cord cutters continue to increase, so the old model will break down sooner or later...
Yes - they are pretty much doomed. People are cutting cable left and right, and that's without all the content available that easily could be.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I have watched several unboxing videos. AND, over the years I have watched quite a few Let's Play videos too! (for video games).

However, since I stopped my cable TV service, I find that I have no desire to get HBO or anything else that I don't already have OTA, whether it is for free or for pay. I know, what's wrong with me?

I just don't have time for more TV! Life is a bowl of cherries and mine is overflowing. Too much fun to be had, and not enough time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here's another one trying to cash in on the cord-cutting movement: CBS launches expansive digital subscription service - CBS News
Old 10-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I think the sports teams are more nervous. Allowing someone to opt out of the sports channels will take a huge chunk away from the TV contracts.

If it wasn't for TV revenue, there would be a very limited amount of money to pay the outrageous sums for sports salaries.
+1

I understand that most cable customers pay $4-5 a month for sports channels even if they never want them and don't watch them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We are waiting for a local company to install fiber. Once they do, we can get 25 mbps for $30/mo. or 50 mbps for $40. Our neighbors a block over have it, but we do not yet.
When the phone company put fiber into my neighborhood they made the mistake of charging premium prices to get it - $70 a month for internet only, going up to $100 a month after the first year's special deal was over. Needless to say, most people did not sign up.

However, they seem to have seen the light. Last year I signed up for 3 years at $40 a month, no contract. I can also get it with TV for $ 70 a month, but since I live in a good reception area, I get TV for free, OTA.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Of course, CBS doesn't want to be left behind:

Watch and Stream CBS Shows Live - CBS.com
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #18

Quote:
I'd be happy to cut the satellite, but DH still wants TV available somewhere. Our bill is about $100/mo. The actual satellite costs aren't that bad, but there are about $40 in extras (DVR, HBO and HD reception).

We currently have wireless internet. It's 6 mbps and pretty cheap (around $20/mo.). However, it's not fast enough to stream HD video during the peak hours. What's the alternative? Comcast? Won't that be just as much?

HD streaming needs 12 mbps at minimum. 25 mbps will be plenty for you. $30/mo seems very reasonable.

I can't cut satellite b/c of one channel that DW can't live without - The Golf Channel. It's included in the top family package and is costing me $75/month. If it isn't for the channel, I will drop satellite now.

My new TV is a smartTV and I can stream it instead of resorting to laptop/tablet. Plus, our eye sights are getting worse so we are stuck with large screen TV.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I understand that most cable customers pay $4-5 a month for sports channels even if they never want them and don't watch them.
The flip side is, a lot of people are *only* still subscribing to cable or satellite because that's where all the sports are.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
HD streaming needs 12 mbps at minimum. 25 mbps will be plenty for you. $30/mo seems very reasonable.

I can't cut satellite b/c of one channel that DW can't live without - The Golf Channel. It's included in the top family package and is costing me $75/month. If it isn't for the channel, I will drop satellite now.

My new TV is a smartTV and I can stream it instead of resorting to laptop/tablet. Plus, our eye sights are getting worse so we are stuck with large screen TV.
We have 10mbps Internet and we stream HD just fine at 1068i. I think we even did pretty well at 6mbps.