Another one bites the dust.

I bought my camera from them online, and got a "$15 off of any $100+ purchase from Circuit City" coupon along with the camera.

Sounds like it might be worthless soon.

The camera was cheap and arrived in perfect shape, very quickly. I like Circuit City so this is not happy news to me.

Hmm planned on looking at video cameras there this week. Guess I wont be buying their warranty plan :D

They went chapter 11 - so they will be around for a while yet. If you are near a store that is closing there will be pretty good discounts from what is currently at that location.

They did this to stiff their vendors out of payments for stock received before today and to be able to renege, without penalty, on current leases (where the stores are closing).

IMO they will actually "go away" and convert to chapter 7 or, and this is a long shot, sell the name after the first of the year.

Too bad... I liked Circuit City and I chose to go there before any other electronic stores because they were never too busy....

Too bad... I liked Circuit City and I chose to go there before any other electronic stores because they were never too busy....

Maybe that's why they are now out of business??

Maybe that's why they are now out of business??
Exactly.
I hate busy stores, but the ones that are not seem to go away.

They had (have) a really good return policy which I took advantage of after buying a digital flat screen one time that didn't live up to my expectations. Now they've extended the return period through Jan. 31.
In-store returns-Returns & Exchanges-circuitcity.com

But Circuit City laid off most of its experienced sales force and replaced them with new part timers. They mostly ignore me when I go to the store. Recently I was buying a router and a sales guy asked if he could help. When I said no, he looked relieved. Guess he didn't know that much about routers.

I agree that Circuit City will likely end up in Chapter 7 as that is the fate of most businesses that first file under Chapter 11. The rationale for filing Chapter 11 for many businesses is that it gives the business (as the debtor in possession) the opportunity to liquidate itself while under the protection of the bankruptcy court. This is often viewed as more favorable than simply walking away and having a court appointed trustee liquidate the business. I regret seeing Circuit City go under -- some healthy competition is always nice.

Well I'm glad I didn't get the extended warranty on the TV I bought at Circuit City, even after they cut the price a lot. I never never buy these things, but in a moment of weakness I got one last year for new printer I bought at CompUSA.

Yet another example on why one shouldn't buy insurance on things that you can easily afford to replace.

My cousin used to work for them, and he told me they didn't really care what you sold as long as you sold the extended warranty for it. Personally I've never liked the chain. I'm not an electronics whiz but I never once worked with a salsman that knew as much as me about whatever I was looking at. I mean, jeez, if I was working in a toy store I'd at least play with the toys so I could explain what they did to the customers. Good riddance, say I.

I did hear on the radio that they are asking permission to continue to honor the $62M in gift cards that are out there floating around. It will be interesting to see if the courts let them pay back unsecured debt at a cost to their corporate creditors. I'm betting no.

Well I'm glad I didn't get the extended warranty on the TV I bought at Circuit City, even after they cut the price a lot. I never never buy these things, but in a moment of weakness I got one last year for new printer I bought at CompUSA.

Yet another example on why one shouldn't buy insurance on things that you can easily afford to replace.

My last 2 printers were free after the rebates. I never even bought an ink cartridge for the first one. Just gave it away and got a new one. Better than insurance. ;)

Maybe they weren't busy because others, like me, refused to shop there after they fired a bunch of better-paid employees to hire a bunch of flunkies at or near minimum wage.

Good riddance.

Maybe they weren't busy because others, like me, refused to shop there after they fired a bunch of better-paid employees to hire a bunch of flunkies at or near minimum wage.

Good riddance.

:rant::rant::rant: That is exactly the reason that neither DW nor myself has set foot in their stores since that happened. She because of moral indignation, me because of the lousy service to customers that I expected would happen after that. Unfortunately, their management team will try and spin this to complain about the credit, or the economy or some other BS reason, when the real reason is their own greed and indifference to their customers.

I agree "Good riddance". Maybe some other management team will recognize a need for delivering a personal touch with the product, rather then hanging a shrink wrapped box on the shelf and letting the customer fend for themselves. :bat::bat::bat:

I have had good experience with The Source. Bought my digital camera there (better price than online delivered). Bought my satellite receiver there. Great service. Although not expert, they were willing to dig around and find answers.

. . .they fired a bunch of better-paid employees to hire a bunch of flunkies at or near minimum wage.

Does anybody remember when this happened? I noticed the quality of service decline over time but don't go there often enough to remember when that happened.

I feel bad for CC employees, but I always liked Best Buy much better, guess a lot of other people did too. This can only help Best Buy and any other electronics retailers...

Around here they're the #1 mall operator.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to commercial real estate over the next couple years. The owner of our taekwondo dojangs has seen rents go up over 50% in the last couple years "just because" the landlords [-]want to jack up the rent rolls and sell the place[/-] can do it. Unfortunately they got a little cocky with this last increase, so our two separate dojangs are ditching the two locations (and the two separate landlords) in favor of a third who'll cut a better deal.

I predict that rental storage buildings will be the next bargain...

Store Closings

10 days ago, Martha started a thread about Circuit City closing. Check out the additions to the latest list:

Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide are to be shuttered
Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug,and Catherine’s to close 150 stores nationwide
Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January
Cache will close all stores
Talbots closing down all stores
J. Jill closing all stores
GAP closing 85 stores
Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January
Wickes Furniture closing down
Levitz closing down remaining stores
Bombay closing remaining stores
Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January.
Whitehall closing all stores
Piercing Pagoda closing all stores
Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.
Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ (New Brunswick)
Macys to close 9 stores after January
Linens and Things closing all stores
Movie Galley Closing all stores
Pacific Sunware closing stores
Pep Boys Closing 33 stores
Sprint/ Nextel closing 133 stores
JC Penney closing a number of stores after January
Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.
Wilson Leather closing down all stores
Sharper Image closing down all stores
K B Toys closing 356 stores
Loews to close down some stores
Dillard’s to close some stores

Scary, huh?

Yup, you are right, REW---and it turns out that some of the news isn't even new news! Upon doing further research, it seems that some of these closings have been planned since last year....and some stores overexpanded. So---maybe this isn't all dire.....

Off to find something positive to focus on......the web cam with the puppies may do the trick!

Back
Top Bottom