Join Early Retirement Today

Another one bites the dust.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Another one bites the dust.

Circuit City, not surprisingly, filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. Circuit City files for bankruptcy protection: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Circuit City, not surprisingly, filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. Circuit City files for bankruptcy protection: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
I am amazed they made it this far. Perhaps the most inept management outside of the doemstic automakers.

HOW could they NOT make money the past decade selling big screen TVs, iPods, surround sound stereos GPS, etc?? :confused::confused::confused:

Best Buy just got millions of new customers......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Administrator

I bought my camera from them online, and got a "$15 off of any $100+ purchase from Circuit City" coupon along with the camera.

Sounds like it might be worthless soon.

The camera was cheap and arrived in perfect shape, very quickly. I like Circuit City so this is not happy news to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm planned on looking at video cameras there this week. Guess I wont be buying their warranty plan
Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #5

They went chapter 11 - so they will be around for a while yet. If you are near a store that is closing there will be pretty good discounts from what is currently at that location.

They did this to stiff their vendors out of payments for stock received before today and to be able to renege, without penalty, on current leases (where the stores are closing).

IMO they will actually "go away" and convert to chapter 7 or, and this is a long shot, sell the name after the first of the year.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #6

Too bad... I liked Circuit City and I chose to go there before any other electronic stores because they were never too busy....
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Too bad... I liked Circuit City and I chose to go there before any other electronic stores because they were never too busy....
Maybe that's why they are now out of business??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Maybe that's why they are now out of business??
Exactly.
I hate busy stores, but the ones that are not seem to go away.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #9

They had (have) a really good return policy which I took advantage of after buying a digital flat screen one time that didn't live up to my expectations. Now they've extended the return period through Jan. 31.
In-store returns-Returns & Exchanges-circuitcity.com

But Circuit City laid off most of its experienced sales force and replaced them with new part timers. They mostly ignore me when I go to the store. Recently I was buying a router and a sales guy asked if he could help. When I said no, he looked relieved. Guess he didn't know that much about routers.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Guess he didn't know that much about routers.
Pretty common actually. The other day Home Depot advertised a sale on routers and the sales guy didn't know if it supported DHCP. :confused:
Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Pretty common actually. The other day Home Depot advertised a sale on routers and the sales guy didn't know if it supported DHCP. :confused:
Depends on what bit size you're using...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that Circuit City will likely end up in Chapter 7 as that is the fate of most businesses that first file under Chapter 11. The rationale for filing Chapter 11 for many businesses is that it gives the business (as the debtor in possession) the opportunity to liquidate itself while under the protection of the bankruptcy court. This is often viewed as more favorable than simply walking away and having a court appointed trustee liquidate the business. I regret seeing Circuit City go under -- some healthy competition is always nice.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Well I'm glad I didn't get the extended warranty on the TV I bought at Circuit City, even after they cut the price a lot. I never never buy these things, but in a moment of weakness I got one last year for new printer I bought at CompUSA.

Yet another example on why one shouldn't buy insurance on things that you can easily afford to replace.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My cousin used to work for them, and he told me they didn't really care what you sold as long as you sold the extended warranty for it. Personally I've never liked the chain. I'm not an electronics whiz but I never once worked with a salsman that knew as much as me about whatever I was looking at. I mean, jeez, if I was working in a toy store I'd at least play with the toys so I could explain what they did to the customers. Good riddance, say I.

I did hear on the radio that they are asking permission to continue to honor the $62M in gift cards that are out there floating around. It will be interesting to see if the courts let them pay back unsecured debt at a cost to their corporate creditors. I'm betting no.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Well I'm glad I didn't get the extended warranty on the TV I bought at Circuit City, even after they cut the price a lot. I never never buy these things, but in a moment of weakness I got one last year for new printer I bought at CompUSA.

Yet another example on why one shouldn't buy insurance on things that you can easily afford to replace.
My last 2 printers were free after the rebates. I never even bought an ink cartridge for the first one. Just gave it away and got a new one. Better than insurance.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Maybe they weren't busy because others, like me, refused to shop there after they fired a bunch of better-paid employees to hire a bunch of flunkies at or near minimum wage.

Good riddance.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Maybe they weren't busy because others, like me, refused to shop there after they fired a bunch of better-paid employees to hire a bunch of flunkies at or near minimum wage.

Good riddance.
That is exactly the reason that neither DW nor myself has set foot in their stores since that happened. She because of moral indignation, me because of the lousy service to customers that I expected would happen after that. Unfortunately, their management team will try and spin this to complain about the credit, or the economy or some other BS reason, when the real reason is their own greed and indifference to their customers.

I agree "Good riddance". Maybe some other management team will recognize a need for delivering a personal touch with the product, rather then hanging a shrink wrapped box on the shelf and letting the customer fend for themselves.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have had good experience with The Source. Bought my digital camera there (better price than online delivered). Bought my satellite receiver there. Great service. Although not expert, they were willing to dig around and find answers.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
. . .they fired a bunch of better-paid employees to hire a bunch of flunkies at or near minimum wage.
Does anybody remember when this happened? I noticed the quality of service decline over time but don't go there often enough to remember when that happened.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

And troubles for malls in general:

No. 2 mall operator warns of bankruptcy - Nov. 11, 2008