Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Another one lacking a sense of humour
Old 02-25-2006, 07:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

mike-1,
You need to find another way to assuage your loneliness.
Good luck

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-1
My guess is there are probably some here who feel 4 years hard time isnít punishment enough. Maybe the death penalty might be a little too drastic but a longer gaol term plus physical castration would probably suit them fine.
I never thought I'd say this, but it'd be worth having JG around to expound on the possible alternative outcomes if a Texas woman had been packin' heat in her handbag.

Edit: Fixing my verbs...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So this guy gets 4 years, what would have happened if she turned around and clocked him a good one, like I would do, and caused him some sort of injury. He'd probably have her arrested for assault and battery and then sue the ass off her that he'd just pinched.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
So this guy gets 4 years, what would have happened if she turned around and clocked him a good one, like I would do, and caused him some sort of injury. He'd probably have her arrested for assault and battery and then sue the ass off her that he'd just pinched.
Good point but this is in the context of Columbian law.

From the BBC link 'When he was arrested, she was given the option of slapping him, letting him go, or filing a complaint.'

So he could have endured a supervised slap. Instead he gets 4 years gaol.

In the states I imagine the courts would have handled it. But I doubt if the bum pincher would have gotten 4 years hard labour.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
mike-1,
You need to find another way to assuage your loneliness.
Good luck
Who says I'm lonely?

Old 02-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I must have come to the wrong board I see.
That'd be my vote.
Quote:
I could say I was the uncle of the Sultan of Brunei and who would be the wiser?
Me. I'm the sultan of brunei. You're not my uncle. On the other hand, theres this monkey...
Quote:
I am relieved that I have gotten a few intelligent well phrased responses so far
Is "go screw yourself" an intelligent, well phrased response? Cuz if it isnt, I can add some extra words, several of which you might need a dictionary (or a Nords post) to figure out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good point but this is in the context of Columbian law. *

In the states I imagine the courts would have handled it. But I doubt if the bum pincher would have gotten 4 years hard labour.
Colombia is an impotent state. They can't confront the drug runners, the murderers, the criminal gangs that cut open young women mules to retrieve the drugs that they have caused them to swallow. So they do what all impotents do- come down hard on a small offender who is also powerless.

Ha
Old 02-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #28

Face slapping would not be my reaction if someone pinched my behind. I would plant my foot/knee square into the offender's crotch. I did this to some idiot on BART years ago who decided he was going to try and stick his hand up my skirt. Let's just say my 5 years of martial arts training came in handy.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #29

LOL Cube_rat , it's truely amazing how many men don't expect that kind of response. The look of surpise has always amused me, that is after they come to.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
LOL Cube_rat , it's truely amazing how many men don't expect that kind of response. The look of surpise has always amused me, that is after they come to.
Yeah, he ran off the train like a little sissy. I gave him a new perspective on female ball bustin'
Old 02-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good for you C-R

Four years seems excessive but I think that she made the right choice.

So what if you get slapped? Five minute later you're in a bar bragging about it to your buddiers

MB
Old 02-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #32

Quote:
A bicycle courier in Colombia has been given a four-year jail sentence for grabbing a woman pedestrian's bottom, a TV station has reported.
So this is a BBC news report (in English) of a Columbian TV station report (I assume in Spanish), of an incident and court case that is summed up in couple of hundred words.

Yeah . . . I'm sure the information is really accurate and complete. Let's have an argument over the merits of the case.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:51 AM   #33

I guess I see it like this....

What if the girl that was pinched was your wife or SO? How would you feel about it then?

No one should have to endure being touched in any unwelcome manner. Pinching a woman's rear may seem minor to some but try that with my wife and see what I do to you.....after she has ripped your nuts off.

As far as the 4 years in prison....I too find that story difficult to believe. Don't believe everything you read.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I guess I see it like this....

What if the girl that was pinched was your wife or SO? How would you feel about it then?

No one should have to endure being touched in any unwelcome manner. Pinching a woman's rear may seem minor to some but try that with my wife and see what I do to you.....after she has ripped your nuts off.

As far as the 4 years in prison....I too find that story difficult to believe. Don't believe everything you read.

What more damage would there be to inflict once the party in question is separated from his gonads?

As to the lengthy prison term term, well I also find it hard to believe. But this is BBC reporting, a world class broadcaster with a solid reputation. This ain't some cheap tabloid which stays afloat making stuff up that the public will devour with gusto.

The issue here is twofold

1. Unwanted bum pinching

2. The outrageous sentence imposed.

No poster so far has seen the humour. I venture to say most women would not be amused. This is a fact of modern life in Western society.

In another country, in another era, in another culture, such an incident might be even be taken as a compliment and thus shrugged off. Really no different than being whistled at, a quaint custom which has also fallen out of favour.

The Columbian judicial system shows the extremes to which it will go to mete out justice. A woman can slap a guy to obtain satisfaction and this is perfectly legal under the circumstances. On the other hand she can file a complaint and if she chooses to then we have seen the awful consequences.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:59 AM   #35

I recall seeing one of those prime time reports about a particularly tough female judge. Loved her guns, gave max sentences, etc. Anyway, she had a sex offender in front of her for sentencing. She came down from the bench, raised her judicial robes and exposed a little flesh. Then she told the offender to take a good look because they were the last female legs he was gonna see for a long time.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG

So this is a BBC news report (in English) of a Columbian TV station report (I assume in Spanish), of an incident and court case that is summed up in couple of hundred words.

Yeah . . . I'm sure the information is really accurate and complete. Let's have an argument over the merits of the case.
And you'd be right SG. Although we've already fed this troll enough, here are the rest of the reported facts.

The guy is NOT going to jail, he is getting four years of "house arrest" where he's allowed to leave to work, shop and so forth. He just must stay in his home at night and when he is not actively doing something necessary for him to be out of the house.

He supposedly struck her so hard that people standing nearby heard it.

A group of people apparently thought what he did was bad enough to run him down, knock him off his bike and hold him until the police arrived.

So...no friendly little pinch or rub followed by four years in a turkish prison...

He assaulted her by striking her loud enough for the 'crack' to be heard by passersby, who thought the act was worthy of detention and police action, after which he was told to stay home for four years.

Anyone that thinks its okay for one person to touch another person without invitation, or who twists facts to create inflamation...well...what do you call a combination of an asshole and a troll? Trasshole? Asstroller? Hmm....more thought on this is needed..
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #37

OP seems to be stuck in the dark ages where women "appeared" to take this sort of behavior as a compliment. Women were treated as second class citizens, not allowed to vote, work, use birth control and had to be subservient to their husbands. Women DID NOT have support systems to help them understand that inappropriate touching is INAPPROPRIATE and UNACCEPTABLE.

Thank goodness I didn't live back in the good old days as OP seems to tout as a great time for the "fairer sex". I would've accused of being a witch and burned at the stake.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #38

Yea Cube they didn't look kindly on us independant type back then did they.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Yeah, he ran off the train like a little sissy. I gave him a new perspective on female ball bustin'
Ouch... Way to go Ms. cutbe_rat

I think, i'll rethink my future plans for becoming a dirty ol man. Too many of you agressive manly-girls out there.

MJ
Old 02-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
OP seems to be stuck in the dark ages where women "appeared" to take this sort of behavior as a compliment. Women were treated as second class citizens, not allowed to vote, work, use birth control and had to be subservient to their husbands. Women DID NOT have support systems to help them understand that inappropriate touching is INAPPROPRIATE and UNACCEPTABLE.

Thank goodness I didn't live back in the good old days as OP seems to tout as a great time for the "fairer sex". I would've accused of being a witch and burned at the stake.

I have to assume here you refer to me although my name appears nowhere above. Who is OP?

I am not stuck in the dark ages. I simply refer to an era when many of you weren't even born. I speak of the fifties where, in some Southern European countries, Italy for one, having ones bum pinched or being whistled at, was considered by some local gals as somewhat funny, perhaps amusing, possibly a compliment, and these gals back then certainly did not make a big deal out of it.

Time marches on and nowadays in this politically-correct Western society such behaviour is considered offensive if not outright criminal. I won't waste my time in arguing this point but it amazes me that you, as well as other posters here, do not react in incredulity that a person who commits this 'unspeakable crime' would get a four year jail term.

You also don't seem to be able to undertand that this Columbian gal had the option of giving this lout a good old-fashioined slap and that would have been the end of it. But no she had to press charges and look at what happened. So I can only conclude that such a harsh sentence is fine and dandy in your books?

Don't any, can't any, of you people grasp the concept of the punishment fitting the crime?

I am truly astonished at the reaction, or rather the lack of it, by some of you folks so far. Are you really all so bloody rigid in your collective mindset and attitudes? Isn't one, yes just one of you, willing to see the bigger picture?

I guess not!