Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pb4uski, I had a similar PITA incident at a bank a few years ago. My dad wanted to add me as an authorized user of his safe-deposit box. He doesn't keep any valuables in there but he has some important documents such as estate documents (which I have a copy of anyway) and other related things I do not necessarily have a copy of.

We went to the bank and the rep saw that he no longer had an account there, just the SD box. This was because back in the 1980s or early 1990s (before my mom died) she closed the account when the bank was owned by a different entity but kept the SD box open. She, and later my dad, paid the annual fee and nobody said or did anything. The rep told us that in order to add an authorized user he would have to close the current SD box and apply for a new one, subject to the new rule that he have an account there. He did not want to do that so we walked out, hoping that the nonplussed rep would not blow the whistle on him and force him to open an account anyway just to keep the box (that did not happen).

I suggested that he simply open a SD box at his own bank (which is across the street from this bank) then add me as an authorized user. He might have done it, I am not sure. I more or less forgot about following up on it (but will ask him about it). If he did switch banks but just needs to add me then that should be easy. Or he just did nothing and we still have the same problem as we did 4 years ago.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Update
Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #42

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

My guess is another month, one more late fee, 3 more emails / letters each to the HOA and bank to get this resolved.
Said that in my original post, and it looks like I was wrong. A month has gone by, the only change is two more late fees. I sent a notarized affidavit of fraud to the bank, the HOA hasn't sent theirs yet. Three more emails to the HOA and one call each to the HOA and bank. We haven't made it to Keystone Cops or Marx Brothers level yet but we certainly are at the Laurel and Hardy stage. The HOA manager assigned to the property retired on Friday. Looks like he never read the threads here about leaving with a good rep and not burning bridges.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

A lonng time ago, my son was working a part time summer job. His small paycheck was deposited in the ATM machine. Several weeks later we received a letter from the bank subtracting the deposit from his balance stating that the envelope was empty. A trip to the employer provided proof ( the cancelled check) that the check had indeed been cashed by BOA. Even with the proof of their cashing the check, they (BoA) refused to recredit my son's bank account. Since it was a small check it wasn't a hardship for us, and eventually ( like 2 months later) they gave my son his money. But what if this check had belonged to someone working paycheck to paycheck?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #44

Our 28 year old son just had an ATM cash issue resolved with his bank. It took about 3-4 days. He went to the ATM to withdraw cash and the ATM gave him an error message instead of the cash. It was a Sunday morning so the bank was closed. He called the customer service number posted on the ATM but no one answers on a Sunday.

Online it showed that the cash was withdrawn so on Monday he called and they told him to download a form, fill it out and drop it off at the branch, which he did. The money was returned to his account a few days later. Luckily, he keeps plenty in his checking account but this would have been a big PITA if he lived on the edge.

All they needed to do was verify that the cash was still in the ATM and was not dispensed. I wonder how many other customers had the same thing happen.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #45

All these experiences confirm my suspicions that banks (and other institutions) don't really care about their small customers. If their computer says something, then that is what they go by. You have to prove otherwise, even if it is monumental PITA. Personally, I would consider a trip to small claims court next time and let THEM prove they don't owe ME. I have the time and it might be a fun diversion. Anyone have experience in this tactic?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
If this was my problem , at this point I would go to the lobby of your bank, call the police and file a crime report at the bank. Banks dont like this kind of thing. When the police arrive at the your bank, your bank will now have to spend a lot of time on this, bank internal security , postal inspectors etc. Now a real p.i.t.a. for the 2 banks. They might just credit your account in short order to make it go away.

Maybe this is like killing a bug with a cruse missle , but it should quickly get the attention of both banks.
Thanks for the laugh - loved this - I could imagine the hullabaloo - and it might be satisfying :-)

As for the bank and HOA - wow - what a hassle for ensuring burden of proof - and the bank that received the check should be on the hook as well for not properly ensuring that who cashed it was the intended recipient. Maybe they need the police in the lobby treatment, too.
Update
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #47

Update

Good thing I'm retired and have time for this. The bank (aka WF) refunded my check yesterday without comment or notification. They did not reimburse the late fees as they promised. Why am I not surprised?

A lengthy phone call with a service rep and then a floor supervisor did not end on a positive note. That could be because the supervisor used the term "alleged' and then "you say " when I summed the discussion with the initial investigator (we discussed the dates and late fee in detail). It might also be when she asked for proof the late fee reimbursement was offered. But there was no doubt once she asked for the date, time of day and name of the service rep with whom I spoke so she could go back and check the tapes. She confirmed they had all that information in the file, but unless I gave it they would take no further action and considered the case closed and resolved.

Time for a new bank.

On a more positive note, the property manager is taking the case to the HOA on monday, requesting they waive the late fees. We'll see what happens, but she is new, friendly, and taking her job seriously, so i expect a positive outcome.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Another data point about WF: Wells is one of the few banks I've ever had to fire. I had a world savings cd that became a Wachovia cd that became a wells cd. Anyway, I also had a checking account with minimal $, tied to the cd (which was required to have the special rate cd). After WF took over, I no longer got any statements showing the cd value.

After many months of trying, numerous calls, many people telling me it was fixed, it never was. After it matured, I fired them and moved the money elsewhere.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #49

Thanks for the update Michael - good luck.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #50

I've also found WF to be confused. Tried numerous times to open a WellsTrade account but they kept screwing up my application form (losing it, folding it, spindling it, multilating it, something new each time).

It made me wonder why Buffett heavily invested into WF, but then I realized it may actually fit his philosophy: a company that generates a profit even though inept must have an excellent moat somewhere!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #51

Case Closed

HOA reviewed the mater last night and agreed to waive the late fees. The new property manager with a positive attitude made a difference. So, case close, and now off to search for a new bank.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #52

Michael, glad to see this got resolved well, thanks to someone with a fresh pair of eyes and some common sense on your side.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #53

Good job Michael.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
HOA reviewed the mater last night and agreed to waive the late fees. The new property manager with a positive attitude made a difference. So, case close, and now off to search for a new bank.
Gosh, imagine if that property manager was working at the bank... but I wouldn't say anything that would make them want to leave the HOA job.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Gosh, imagine if that property manager was working at the bank... but I wouldn't say anything that would make them want to leave the HOA job.
Oh, no doubt it wouldn't take long for bank management to effect an "attitude readjustment" on her. Banks pay badly and are hard on their employees, so it does not surprise me when problems arise and then are so difficult to resolve.