Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Bloomberg, McCain, or Obama?
Bloomberg 8 13.79%
McCain 20 34.48%
Obama 30 51.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Another political poll - McCain vs Obama vs Bloomberg
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another political poll - McCain vs Obama vs Bloomberg

Since it looks like Clinton loses to McCain and Obama beats McCain...how about this one.

McCain vs Obama vs Bloomberg?

Rock, scissors, paper?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You just came up with a great idea. Roshambo to determine who is president!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

As good as any other I guess, providing the repubs and dems get to pick which one beats which, what their names are, and can change their minds after they've already thrown.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

So thats pretty interesting. A lot of times the independent "managerial" candidate sucks votes from the democrat and helps the republican win. In our little fishbowl, he pulled votes from both sides almost equally...
Old 02-10-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have come to the conclusion that who ever wins... things will not change much. Most of the big problem areas have no simple solution (and congress tends to be equally divided).

The only major change may be the posture on Iraq. Although the war on terror will still be full throttle. But even with Iraq any President is going to know that we cannot just cut and run.

I have 3 major concerns:
  • Domestic economy (USA economic viability of our businesses)
  • Domestic Health Care/SS/Taxes
  • Energy Independence (reduction in foreign dependence). It is the cause of many problems for the us.
I will vote for the person that I believe has the best approach to these problems. Although, I am not sure any of them will be able to fix them.

I have many other concerns. Yes I believe in a strong military for defense.. on and on. The sobering reality of being President will soon curb the election year rhetoric of whomever wins.

I am an independent with a middle of the road point of view. I am just as likely to vote for McCain, Obama, or Clinton.

On the democratic side, I am leaning a bit more Clinton. But the truth is we have 3 candidates that are absolutely throw the bums out options. Obama is probably the most likely to introduce meaningful change. However, that change may not be in the direction that I would prefer. I have the perception that Obama is a bit further left than Clinton.

I was going to vote for McCain back in 2000. But things are a bit different now. I am an opponent to Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants. However, I am not opposed to increasing legal immigration (for lower paying jobs). The last thing I want to do is to have a huge influx of foreigners to take high paying jobs. My problem with this long drawn out Illegal Immigration issue is that anyone could come into the country and try to fake it and become a citizen. I believe we will have a huge inflow just to try to become a citizen (it does not matter what rules we set). Foreigners will think that it will somehow work out. Talk about a surge. This illegal immigrant thing is about votes and big business. Each parties want to win over the growing number of Latinos votes for the long haul.

Illegals will have to go home and try to enter the US legally. It is the only way to not encourage more of the same. Reagan tried the amnesty approach and it failed. We do not need to learn that lesson twice.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
The last thing I want to do is to have a huge influx of foreigners to take high paying jobs.
Hmmm... would they be paying taxes into Social Security and Medicare?

I think if that influx was an economic threat it would've happened by now. Candidates either didn't qualify for high-paying jobs or the high-paying jobs were bid down in price by overwhelming response.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps instead of trying to throw out the qualified foreigners who are taking the high paying jobs, we do a better job of educating our own people so the foreigners have a lot of competition for those jobs and companies dont have to go through the hassle of doing visas to get people who know what they're doing.

Of course, we immediately run afoul of that short-term, make everyone feel good about their world stuff by going to a long term, rational solution.

I'm also wondering about why its a bad thing that the very smartest people from around the world want to come here and add their contributions to our businesses and culture.

I guess education plannins also doesnt satisfy that "get them there dang furriners out of this country! cuz all of us that was descended from different furrinners want it to ourselves!" urge.