Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Yes, I think that it pays to take a really good look in the mirror before criticizing other countries.
Good thing you live in paradise, eh?

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been paying tax at 30% rate all my life as a megacorp employee. I see a lot of small/big business people and individuals building wealth at the expense of honest tax payers. Perhaps, IRS should be more efficient in finding the violators, and closing loopholes. For every IRS story about making a taxpayer's life hard, I bet there are 1000 that IRS don't catch.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
For every IRS story about making a taxpayer's life hard, I bet there are 1000 that IRS don't catch.
I agree. Part of the problem is the complexity of the tax code. We have congress writing laws and IRS defining/redefining. There are so many ways to manipulate expenses and income that it can be scary.

DW ran a small at-home business for a few years. I did her/our taxes. We could write off all sorts of "business expenses" that we would have spent even if she didn't have a business. I totally wrote off a car amongst other spending.

I had a friend with a distributorship. He went elk hunting every year in Colorado and wrote it off because he always brought along at least one client. The client was selected based on being a guy easy to get along with, a hunter and did enough business with him to not be totally laughable.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote