Join Early Retirement Today

Another reason I like living in the USA
Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another reason I like living in the USA

There is a big brouhaha in Germany regarding some -OK a lot - of art found in a Munich apartment. I take no position in the legitimacy of ownership of said art, which according to the owner was proven to be his.

The shocking part to me is how it was found.

From the articcle:
BBC News - Nazi-looted art: German collector says he owns pictures

"The works were discovered in Mr Gurlitt's home in March 2012 during a routine tax inspection. "

I added the bold formatting.
Notwithstanding the routine archiving of practically all electronic communications by the NSA. At least the taxing authorities have no authority to routinely rifle through my residence for tax inspections. Yet. Hopefully I will live out my retirement without ever experiencing such intrusion into my life.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
There is a big brouhaha in Germany regarding some -OK a lot - of art found in a Munich apartment. I take no position in the legitimacy of ownership of said art, which according to the owner was proven to be his.

The shocking part to me is how it was found.

From the articcle:
BBC News - Nazi-looted art: German collector says he owns pictures

"The works were discovered in Mr Gurlitt's home in March 2012 during a routine tax inspection. "

I added the bold formatting.
Notwithstanding the routine archiving of practically all electronic communications by the NSA. At least the taxing authorities have no authority to routinely rifle through my residence for tax inspections. Yet. Hopefully I will live out my retirement without ever experiencing such intrusion into my life.
I wouldn't characterize it as a "routine tax inspection". See this article for particulars

1bn haul of art by Picasso, Renoir and Matisse found in squalid Munich flat | Mail Online

But I do still like living in the US.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #3

THanks for the link. Interesting difference in a BBC v Mail online story. I should have known to consult at least three media sources to find some semblance to factual info. My bad.

Still, the Mail article says one has to be registered with the police with one's addres as well as the the taxing authorities. Unlike the US where tax and income disclusres to the IRS are considered voluntary.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #4

When I was a child ND still had a personal property tax. Once a year an assessor would come and go through the house looking for new items so they could be taxed. Almost no one actually paid the personal property tax and the local paper would publish pages of lists of non-payers. Eventually the personal property tax law was repealed.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Administrator

I agree, ls99. I really do feel lucky to live in a country where I have never had to endure such blatant invasions of my privacy.

Now, if only we can get the health care situation straightened out! Oh well, we may not be perfect but I still have no desire to live outside the US.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
HaStill, the Mail article says one has to be registered with the police with one's addres as well as the the taxing authorities. Unlike the US where tax and income disclusres to the IRS are considered voluntary.
As in you volunteer or go to prison?

Ha
Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Once a year an assessor would come and go through the house looking for new items so they could be taxed.
"And when the tax man come to the door, Lord the house look like a rummage sale."

I always wondered about that line.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #8

I understand that in some countries the Government routinely listens in and records private telephone conversations without any oversight whatsoever.

Would not want to live in a country like that either.

Does anyone really think that the IRS wears kid gloves and is reluctant to enter premises and do seizures?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I understand that in some countries the Government routinely listens in and records private telephone conversations without any oversight whatsoever.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stir-the-pot.jpg (37.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That's a mighty big pot he's stirring...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

Does anyone really think that the IRS wears kid gloves and is reluctant to enter premises and do seizures?
After seeing the IRS auction off my neighbors house 30 or so years ago I learned to fear and respect them. I wonder how much access to NSA info the IRS does/will get?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
When I was a child ND still had a personal property tax. Once a year an assessor would come and go through the house looking for new items so they could be taxed. Almost no one actually paid the personal property tax and the local paper would publish pages of lists of non-payers. Eventually the personal property tax law was repealed.
I never knew that. It's a bit creepy! Reminds me of the penal laws in Ireland a century or two ago.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #13

This was another line from the story that caught my eye (in bold)

Quote:
Customs officers found him crossing the Swiss border by train in 2010 with a large sum in cash, eventually prompting a raid on his apartment early last year. Prosecutors confiscated works by Renaissance and Modernist masters, some long thought lost in the war, others hitherto undocumented.
So they find someone crossing their border with a questionably large amount of cash in 2010...then take almost 2 years to finally follow up on it

Wow - I thought the Germans were more efficient than that! Guess it goes to show that tax bureaucracies can be slow no matter what flag they are flying...
Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #14

One more thing. The flags which got him the scrutiny were , not registered with tax authorities, no registered address with the police, and ....... wait for it....... NO HEALTH INSURANCE!

Those in addition to appearing nervous. Good thing he was not standing up with clenched buttocks.

Hmmmm. We now have mondatory health isurance law in the US. How long before the other two are added? As per Ha's comment in post #6 -tax liability declaration may be voluntary on paper, just don't try not to.

Oh, never mind. Roseanne Rosana Donna.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Awesome picture.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

You won't believe this, but when I was a teenager, the government could snatch you off the street, send you halfway around the world and get you killed.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #17

Yes, I think that it pays to take a really good look in the mirror before criticizing other countries.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You won't believe this, but when I was a teenager, the government could snatch you off the street, send you halfway around the world and get you killed.
And you had no vote on it.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yep, know that.

Yours truly, US Army 1967-1970, +13 years reserve. RA 11XXXXXX.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I never knew that. It's a bit creepy! Reminds me of the penal laws in Ireland a century or two ago.
Watch the movie "A Christmas Story" there's a scene in there of the assessor visiting. As Ralphie says in there I was assessor proofed at an early age.