Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, there is a different breed of people that live in TX.

I was sitting out on my patio a little while ago, and I noticed our neighbor is having some work done on her roof. The guy was walking around on her VERY STEEP roof with cowboy boots on.

Reckon he thought he might see some crickets up there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

It seems me the Texas sucks threads are pretty common and obviously a source of American humor for more than 100 years.

There are 24 million Texans, now I sure that many of them aren't right in the head. (Dry heat will do that), but they can't all be crazy or can they ?. Any current or former Texan want to start a thread.

Ten reasons to live in Texas?

Old 05-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would not say Texas sucks. Spectacular high mesa, from what I remember.
On the other hand, during oil pipeline construction the favorite Alaskan expression was: happiness is a Texan going home, with an Oklahoman under each arm.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was only in Texas one time, about 40 years ago. What really impressed me the most was all the good looking gals at the Dallas airport. (maybe being in the army had something to do with that)

I remember when Alaska became the 49th state in 1959 Texans did so much squawking about being demoted to the second largest state, Alaska was thinking about cutting the state in half and making Texas the third largest state.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Shucks Bubba there ain't no such thing as dry heat in Houston.

2soon
Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
Shucks Bubba there ain't no such thing as dry heat in Houston.

2soon

Aint that the truth. Walk outside and you are soaking wet
Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Any current or former Texan want to start a thread.

1. Jobs.
2. public schools are really excellent in Texas.
3. No income tax.
4. TALL guys - - or is it those cowboy boots?
5. Lots of wide open space (mostly filled with fire ants, snakes, etc., but you can't have everything)
6. It doesn't snow (much, at least in south Texas).
7. Honest, "what you see is what you get", salt of the earth residents for the most part (or local culture)
8. Cheap houses.
9. Cult du jour mentality in Texas provides entertainment if you are agnostic
10. It's so big that when you live there, it seems like the U.S. is a foreign country far, far away. Yet they speak English, of sorts.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Uh, it's the boots........
Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
By the way I learned English in NY state
Having lived over most of America and a few foreign countries, I'd have to say that the most foreign and incomprehensible of them all was New York. My latest data point is Manhattan but I'd hate to hold that against the rest of the state.

After nearly 20 years in Hawaii, when I get a New Yorker on the phone we don't get anything accomplished unless they talk at half-speed... or send me an e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The South was colonized under a very different economic and social model than the North.
Georgia was colonized under the same selection system as Australia's Botany Bay, but I don't think that's what you're implying.

Did you have my college history prof who referred to it as "the War of Northern Aggression"?

And Walt, you don't even want to know the etymology of the phrase "to shoot a Yankee"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
It seems me the Texas sucks threads are pretty common and obviously a source of American humor for more than 100 years.

There are 24 million Texans, now I sure that many of them aren't right in the head. (Dry heat will do that), but they can't all be crazy or can they ?. Any current or former Texan want to start a thread.

Uuuum, it's really big. OK, you think up the next one

MB
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Having lived over most of America and a few foreign countries, I'd have to say that the most foreign and incomprehensible of them all was New York. My latest data point is Manhattan but I'd hate to hold that against the rest of the state.

After nearly 20 years in Hawaii, when I get a New Yorker on the phone we don't get anything accomplished unless they talk at half-speed... or send me an e-mail.

Georgia was colonized under the same selection system as Australia's Botany Bay, but I don't think that's what you're implying.

Did you have my college history prof who referred to it as "the War of Northern Aggression"?

And Walt, you don't even want to know the etymology of the phrase "to shoot a Yankee"...
I grew up in Upstate NY (near Albany), went to college in Potsdam NY (had trouble understanding folks from Bronx/Brooklyn/Long Island). While working for USAF had great trouble talking with folks from South Georgia (Macon). Between the drawl and the hideous grammar, I sometimes needed a translator.

Yes I know that speaking in complete sentences means I am an 'elitist'.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #32

[quote=Nords;657754]Did you have my college history prof who referred to it as "the War of Northern Aggression"?
[quote]

That was Dr. Frank Vandiver's name for the Civil war. He was considered one of the foremost experts on the Civil War.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #33

Ten Reasons to Live in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Uuuum, it's really big. OK, you think up the next one MB
* If you want to home-school your kid (or your kid wants to self-school) the State can't can come knock on your door to inspect your curriculum, attendance records, grades or any of that nonsense. Texas State colleges are not allowed to discriminate based on not having a diploma from a State "certified" high school.

* No State Income Tax (higher property taxes though, but the legislature is supposed to be trying to do something about that)

* Lake Fork

* DFW Airport

* Ron Paul
Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

They say that you learn something new every day. Whew, I made it just under the wire....It's almost 11pm and I just Googled "chigger". Hope I never need to use my new found knowledge.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Bob Wills, George Jones, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Earl Keen, Delbert McClinton, Townes Van Zandt, Billy Joe Shaver, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Billy Gibbons, Stephen Stills...

And really good Mexican food!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
...And really good Mexican food!
Well, Tex-Mex anyway.

Texas BBQ
Texas beef
Texas oil
Texas women
Texas Long Necks
Texas football
Texas winters
etc
Old 05-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

SR

You forgot chicken fried steak
Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #38

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite....

What is it?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #39

Quote:

After nearly 20 years in Hawaii, when I get a New Yorker on the phone we don't get anything accomplished unless they talk at half-speed... or send me an e-mail."
I've lived in New York City and it's environs for most of my life. When I speak to some of my southern friends on the phone the word I use most often is "what". I have had no problem being understood when I speak.

In my days of traveling overseas whenever we didn't want to be understood by the people we were dealing with we just spoke very quickly and it was incomprehensible to them.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I've lived in New York City and it's environs for most of my life. When I speak to some of my southern friends on the phone... I have had no problem being understood when I speak.
Yeahuh...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote