Another reason not to live in Texas

Some native New Orleanians have a peculiar accent that is not found elsewhere in Louisiana. They are called "Yats", because of the occasional greeting, "Where y'at?" ...((cut for brevity))..... To me, a Yat accent sounds like a Brooklyn or NJ accent but with a little very subtle French color to the pronunciation, and at a slower pace.

So, don't feel bad about not understanding! It's not your hearing - - it's the language.
W2R you are right on. I've only been gone from New Orleans since 1960. I went to a Mayfest concert a couple of weeks ago, sat at a crowded table and after I said something the guy immediately asked me if I was from New Orleans. Who knew? I think my relatives sound like they're from Brooklyn (a little). It's a distinctive accent, certainly different from the rest of Louisiana or the Deep South.

Isnt Texas one of the highest places for retirement? Thought I read something about that a few months ago.. >:D

Florida is passing the buck!
San Antonio is crawling with retirees.

When I was a kid we spent four months in Panama City, Florida, and it was a really nice place! But I never got any farther east or south in that fair state (except for one landing and take-off at Miami).

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

San Antonio is crawling with retirees.

When I was a kid we spent four months in Panama City, Florida, and it was a really nice place! But I never got any farther east or south in that fair state (except for one landing and take-off at Miami).

Ive been to New Braunfels. Great place to get jerky there mail order. San Antonio was fairly nice.

Oh wait to keep with the theme..

Man I walked outside in San Antonio and I was attacked by fire ants! Wow I was sore for days..

Ive been to New Braunfels. Great place to get jerky there mail order. San Antonio was fairly nice.

Oh wait to keep with the theme..

Man I walked outside in San Antonio and I was attacked by fire ants! Wow I was sore for days..

After all of these years of driving through it, I've never actually stopped in New Braunfels or Gruene.

I've seen fire ants in San Antonio killing and carrying off tarantulas (at the San Jose Mission, I believe), so imagine what they're like when they're hungry AND angry! I can't wait to see those crazy "rasberry" ants versus fire ants.

In my previous messages I forgot to mention sand- and duststorms. And, believe it or not, several years ago I experienced an earthquake in Austin, Texas! It was a 5.7 or 5.8 magnitude whose epicenter was near Alpine, about 400 miles away.

Nobody mentioned that College Station had arsenic that seeped into the groundwater for most of a century from the old cotton gin and resulted in some sort of huge multi-million dollar settlement, but hey, we Aggies gotta be tough anyway. :rolleyes:

Ahhhh. Guess that might explain the unique atmosphere at the Dixie Chicken... ;)
(tee-hee! :2funny:) It never occurred to me that you might have been there too! :D Boy does that bring back memories.

Yep - - everybody living on the north side of campus could get in on the settlement. We lived on the south side. Oh well!

Okay, I'll bite....
What is it?
This is one of those topics that would have made high school Civil War history a lot more interesting.

Caution: not for those grossed out by bodily functions or gunpowder chemistry.

The Civil War origins of the phrase "To shoot a Yankee"

Nobody mentioned that College Station had arsenic that seeped into the groundwater for most of a century from the old cotton gin and resulted in some sort of huge multi-million dollar settlement, but hey, we Aggies gotta be tough anyway. :rolleyes:
A Punahou graduate and then an Aggie?!? Where oh where did you go wrong?

Did you voluntarily surrender your Hawaii driver's license, or was it revoked?

I've lived in Austin, Texas, since 1985 and other Texas places in previous years, and I've never even heard of "love bugs"! Where in Texas do they live? If it's the Houston area -- well, I've never wanted to live in Houston.

Also, honestly, I've never heard of one ebola outbreak in Texas.

Regarding the alleged mandatory death penalty for DUI -- well, it's not enforced.

Now, as to why so many people live in Texas: (1) there's a lot of room here, (2) at least in the central and southern parts of the state, the winters aren't bad, (3) no state income tax, (4) [may be obsolete now] it's across a shallow river from Mexico and jobs are [used to be?] easier to find here than in Mexico, (5) it's a "right to work" state (no requirement to join labor unions). No doubt other Texans would list numerous other reasons. (E.g., UT Austin people would say "UT Austin". Aggies would say, "Texas A&M", Travis County Democrats would claim, "The most liberal county in the USA", etc. Music lovers would say "Austin -- the live music capital of the world.) Nevertheless, I think I'd rather live in Hawaii (the Big Island), if only I could afford it.

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA - not a gun owner

They had a couple of cases of ebola from lakes around here... must be that it is so 'common' they don't report it in Austin...

As for love bugs... where have you been:confused: Have you never see the flying bugs that are 'attached' together flying into your windshield (and every other part of your car).... they seem to be out at dusk..

And don't forget that we can have some RAIN... Alvin Texas has recorded 43 inches of rain in a 24 hour period... yes... that would be a years worth of rain where YOU live (at least most of you)... in ONE DAY...

And don't forget that we can have some RAIN... Alvin Texas has recorded 43 inches of rain in a 24 hour period... yes... that would be a years worth of rain where YOU live (at least most of you)... in ONE DAY...
Seven years of rain for Phoenix. Or six days in Houston Proper where I used to live.

A Punahou graduate and then an Aggie?!? Where oh where did you go wrong?

Did you voluntarily surrender your Hawaii driver's license, or was it revoked?
:2funny: Well, if it makes you feel better I attended several other institutions of higher learning along the way. :) In 1984 my ex-Navy ex-husband's ex-job moved to College Station, Texas, which is a godawful boring and desolate place as REWahoo will tell you. Fire ants, arsenic, withering summer heat, and strange looking, possibly mutant/inbred locals. There wasn't much for me to do there but work and pick up 3 more degrees.

Q: Why do Aggie women wear long dresses?

A: To hide the No-Pest Strip...

God Bless :angel::angel::angel:

(Was that enough angels?)

I reveived this in an email today. Thought it was appropriate:

Things I learned by livin ' in Texas.
1. A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in Texas.
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in Texas, plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.
5. 'Onced' and 'Twiced' are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy.
7. 'Jaw-P?' means 'Did ya'll go to the bathroom?'
8. People actually grow and eat okra.
9. 'Fixinto' is one word.
10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.
11. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar.
12. Backwards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'
13. The word 'jeet' is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'.
14. You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH em.
16. 'No. Jew?' is a common response to the question 'Did you bring any beer?'.
17. You measure distance in minutes.
18. You switch from heat to A/C in the same day.
19. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
20. You know what a 'DAWG' is.
21. You carry jumper cables in your truck --- for your OWN truck.
22. You only own five spices: salt, pepper, Texas Pete, Tabasco and Ketchup.
23. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and high school football
24. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
25. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a bit warm'.
26. You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.
27. Going to Wal-Mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' Wal-Martin' or 'off to Wally World'. 28. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good chicken stew weather.
29. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
30. We don't need no dang driver's ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive, dag-nabbit.

I've lived in Austin, Texas, since 1985 and other Texas places in previous years, and I've never even heard of "love bugs"! Where in Texas do they live? If it's the Houston area -- well, I've never wanted to live in Houston.
They stay close to the Gulf.
Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA - not a gun owner
Considering that you live in the People's Democratic Republic of Austin we can cut you a little slack for such comments. But the Texas Immigration Authority might have a problem with you traveling around the state with that sort of attitude. You might get a travel exemption if you sincerely love beer and football.

When we moved to Austin in 1983 Austinites had some colorful bumper stickers. "Welcome to Austin now go home" "If you love New York then get your ass out of Texas" were two of the most common.

2soon

When I was in Texas this spring I saw a bunch of bumper stickers that said "Don't Mess with Texas." At first I thought it was a political statement but then I realized it was an anti-litter campaign. :)

Thanks for posting the anti-Yankee sentiments you heard in Austin during the early '80's, 2soon2tell. I made this point in another thread here before, so this just cements the point.
I was friends with an attorney's wife in Houston, and a car in our complex had a bumper sticker on it's dash (smart move, so it couldn't be ripped off there) that said "I Luv New York." Her husband went into this rage making hand gestures signifying ripping and saying, "Oooooh, I just want to get in there and RIP that bumper sticker off" and so forth. This was an educated guy talking like that, so you can imagine what the uneducated and ignorant are like there. Delightful....yeah, right.:rolleyes:

When I was in Texas this spring I saw a bunch of bumper stickers that said "Don't Mess with Texas." At first I thought it was a political statement but then I realized it was an anti-litter campaign. :)

Wow, me to and I've been seeing them for about a decade or so in CA. (Lots of Texas transplants.)

MB

Crazy Rasberry ants.
"In what sounds like a really low-budget horror film, voracious swarming ants that apparently arrived in Texas aboard a cargo ship are invading homes and yards across the Houston area, shorting out electrical boxes and messing up computers.The hairy, reddish-brown creatures are known as ''crazy rasberry ants'' -- crazy, because they wander erratically instead of marching in regimented lines, and ''rasberry'' after Tom Rasberry, an exterminator who did battle against them early on."

Add it to your list Wahoo.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/...ng+electronics&st=nyt&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I just got to say ... that is some pretty crazy stuff ... I love the way the article says ' ...and ''rasberry'' after Tom Rasberry, an exterminator who did battle against them early on."'.

Just when you thought you heard it all ... Linda ... [Commercial Sig removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got to say ... that is some pretty crazy stuff ... I love the way the article says ' ...and ''rasberry'' after Tom Rasberry, an exterminator who did battle against them early on."'.

Just when you thought you heard it all ... Linda ... [Commercial Sig removed]

What am I supposed to be reading about Lake Tahoe real estate. Or is this a shill post..

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting involved in the thread I though was interesting. I've attached my signature... isn't that OK?

I didn't realize it was your signature. I was trying to equate what Lake Tahoe real estate had to do with the topic at hand.

Back
Top Bottom