Join Early Retirement Today

Another reason not to live in Texas
Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Another reason not to live in Texas

Crazy Rasberry ants.
"In what sounds like a really low-budget horror film, voracious swarming ants that apparently arrived in Texas aboard a cargo ship are invading homes and yards across the Houston area, shorting out electrical boxes and messing up computers.The hairy, reddish-brown creatures are known as ''crazy rasberry ants'' -- crazy, because they wander erratically instead of marching in regimented lines, and ''rasberry'' after Tom Rasberry, an exterminator who did battle against them early on."

Add it to your list Wahoo.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...in&oref=slogin

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #2

And here I thought it was going to be the tornado warnings, all the hail, 60 MPH winds and 3" of rain we got last night.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep. Just when you think it can't get any better worse...

Video: Beware! Crazy ants on the loose

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Administrator

Let's see. The raspberry ants bite but it doesn't hurt as much as a fire ant bite, and they compete with and eat fire ants.

Maybe they will IMPROVE Texas in the long run?

(hate those Texas fire ants...)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think they said they came in on some cargo ship, which would be at Houston's port. Since 2002, but I left in 2003 and never saw them.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did someone add crickets to the list? Went to my sisters wedding five years ago in central Texas in July. Why that month I do not know and I have never forgiven her. It was a late morning which really did not help. It was hotter than the hinges of hell. The women in long gowns and the men in morning (sp?)suits...full rig. My God I have never seen so many crickets in my life. We had five in our motel room alone. Did not sleep at all well. Haven't been back since.

DH and I are driving cross country this fall to New Mexico and will be making various stops along the way including visiting dear sis. God knows what infestation we will encounter on this visit.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Did someone add crickets to the list? Went to my sisters wedding five years ago in central Texas in July. Why that month I do not know and I have never forgiven her. It was a late morning which really did not help. It was hotter than the hinges of hell. The women in long gowns and the men in morning (sp?)suits...full rig. My God I have never seen so many crickets in my life. We had five in our motel room alone. Did not sleep at all well. Haven't been back since.
The crickets were horrible here last year. We had a lot of spring and early summer rains and I guess that helped them multiply like crazy. At times overnight the roads here were covered in live and smashed/dead crickets. We were at an evening event at the Community Center last September (or early October) and by the end of it there were crickets swarming all over the place inside the venue.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post

DH and I are driving cross country this fall to New Mexico and will be making various stops along the way including visiting dear sis. God knows what infestation we will encounter on this visit.
Many years ago (20?), I was in San Antonio, and the river through town was wall to wall (dead) crickets.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Many years ago (20?), I was in San Antonio, and the river through town was wall to wall (dead) crickets.
Little has changed...well, other than the addition of a few tourists to keep the crickets company.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #10

Too bad the Crazy ants don't eat the Fire ants, Killer Bees, rattle snakes, scorpions, chiggers, taruntulas, fleas, flies, crickets, 'skeeters, or termites.

Now Tejas has yet another reason for me to never live there again.

I will be just fine with our scorpions, rattlesnakes and the occasional mosquito. Dry heat has it's good points too.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #11

Wow. I've never been to Texas, you guys make it sound like a place to avoid. But since so many people live there, there must be something good about it.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow. I've never been to Texas, you guys make it sound like a place to avoid. But since so many people live there, there must be something good about it.

Really? Better give some further thoughts to
scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, and, lest we forget, Orchidflower’s testimonial of how Texans treat “Yankees”.

...I love a good set-up.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
...there must be something good about it.
You were doing so good Walt until the last.

I don't have a problem with crickets, but if we could ship all of the Love Bugs somewhere I would be so darn pleased.

Interesting Love Bug factoid from Wikipedia:
Quote:
...its apparently highly acidic body chemistry. Because airborne love bugs exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die en masse on automobile windshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become dried and extremely difficult to remove, and their acidity pits and etches automotive paint and chrome. Insects remains may be scrubbed from cars using dryer sheets, though no scientific evidence exists that shows they are more or less efficient than any other material. The application of a vegetable coating can be highly effective in preventing the bugs from sticking to automobiles.
Love bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder if you can use recycled dryer sheets.

The vegetable oil application sounds interesting, but I think it drives the rattlesnakes into an attack frenzy.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #14

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We ran into a little bit of that when we moved from MD to WV. Parts of WV are still fighting the Civil War, and the Panhandle area did not want to secede from the Union. Weird. There is also the sense that unless your ancestors moved here in covered wagons you're an intruder. But the MD line is literally 15 minutes away!

And there is - what to call it - "money envy?" The three Panhandle counties generate a disproportionate amount of the state's tax income, while down in "Deliverance Country" if you drive a pickup less than ten years old and/or have a paved driveway you're a wealthy man. I am given to understand that such people are viewed with a high level of suspicion and are not welcome. So the Panhandle counties complain about being "milked" to support the rest of the state, and the rest of the state complains about the whining rich people up north.

The whole thing reminds me of being in the third grade.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #16

Texas, fine state, just be sure to talk Texan.

Sometime in the seventies was bumming around the US in a Winnebago motorhome. Having quit w*rk. Practicing for retirement I suppose.

Arrived at the Texas border coming from Louisiana. Stopped at the welcome center. Used to watch Austin city limits show on TV. So I asked the attendant for direction to where the show was held. Figure, go see it live.

After asking the question, got a blank stare. So I ask again. Can you please tell me where is the show held? More puzzled look, more blank stares. Now by several attendants.

Getting the the feeling; that what we have here is a failure to communicate. So, one more time, with the best pronunciation I can muster, slowly repeat my question.

Finally, one of the ladies, in the finest Texas drawl, says: Boy, I caint understaind a word yew sayin, yew tawlk funny.

I just smiled, said thanks, and moved on through Texas, Four or five day later arrived in Nevada. But that's a story for some other time.

By the way I learned English in NY state, then significantly enhanced vocabulary by highly descriptive Army talk.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
We ran into a little bit of that when we moved from MD to WV. Parts of WV are still fighting the Civil War, and the Panhandle area did not want to secede from the Union. Weird. There is also the sense that unless your ancestors moved here in covered wagons you're an intruder. But the MD line is literally 15 minutes away!
We've got to school you now that you're living amongst us.

I was originally a history major, and genealogy is one of the things I play with in ER, so I have accumulated some otherwise worthless information that they don't teach you foreigners Yankees northern cousins in whatever passes for a history class in the frozen north.

The South was colonized under a very different economic and social model than the North. It developed differently in those aspects and regional differences were stark long before the War of Northern Aggression. The war was neither the start nor the end of those differences, it was just a violent exclamation point. In many ways the South did not recover from being a defeated former enemy until well into the last century. We didn't get General MacArthur or the Marshall Plan, we got Carpetbaggers and Reconstruction.

A nation, even one as briefly lived as the Confederate States, doesn't lose a war, undergo military occupation by less than magnanimous victors, and experience massive social, political and economic change whose effects took decades to work themselves out without developing some shared bitter memories.

As for being looked upon as an intruder, I don't know if that is necessarily a Southern thing as much as it happens in places where the population consists mostly of the ancestors of the families that have been there forever. I've heard that there are places in rural New England where, even after living there for 25 years, you are still known as the "new guy" that bought the Johnson place.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy yourself. But remember, if it not for some bad luck at Gettysburg in 1863, you might be living here, but you would need a resident alien card.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #18

Just saw Eagle43's post of the sign at Toad's Roadkill Cafe in gorgeous Leakey, Texas. I hunt off highway 83 about 20 miles north of Leakey and did once eat a greasy but not inedible cheeseburger at Toad's. I was not brave enough to order the Armadillo burger.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I was not brave enough to order the Armadillo burger.
Over behind the pine curtain (East TX) armadillo is known as 'possum on the half-shell'...

Old 05-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
We've got to school you now that you're living amongst us.

<snip>

Anyway, welcome and enjoy yourself. But remember, if it not for some bad luck at Gettysburg in 1863, you might be living here, but you would need a resident alien card.
Thank you for the schooling.

It's often difficult to keep the widely different perspectives in mind about why people think, do, and behave as they do. But it also makes things more interesting.