Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Another reason our President is out of touch with all!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Another reason our President is out of touch with all!

His press secretary

Read this about her ignorance about the Cuban Missile crisis.

Nobodys Perfect: Press Secretary Edition - The Lede - Breaking News - New York Times Blog
__________________

__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,874
She is better looking than Helen Thomas.
__________________

__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
His press secretary

Read this about her ignorance about the Cuban Missile crisis.

Nobodys Perfect: Press Secretary Edition - The Lede - Breaking News - New York Times Blog
How does this have to do with Bush?? :confused:
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
Well, he hired her.

Admittedly, a press secretary should be a good communicator, and not a good knower (as Bush would say), but I'd want someone with a good historical knowledge if I were pres.

Her Interview:

Tony Snow: Dana, you're up to speed on the cold war, Cuban missile crisis and alll that, right?
Dana: Cold what?
Bush: Hell, Snowman, I don't think the Cubans could have missiles unless they're made out of sugar cane. Heh heh heh. You'll do fine, Dana. You're hired.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
FIRE'd@51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
She is better looking than Helen Thomas.

Forget Helen Thomas. Dana Perino is the best looking press secretary I've seen. Just turn the volume down if you don't like what she is saying, and watch.
__________________
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Forget Helen Thomas. Dana Perino is the best looking press secretary I've seen. Just turn the volume down if you don't like what she is saying, and watch.
Heck, Ol' George should hire Melissa Theuriau as the press secretary. Most Americans don't understand French, we wouldn't even need to mess with the volume control:

Beautiful News Reporter (Melissa Theuriau)



- ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well, he hired her...
...which makes him the hirer decider.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
saluki9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
His press secretary

Read this about her ignorance about the Cuban Missile crisis.

Nobodys Perfect: Press Secretary Edition - The Lede - Breaking News - New York Times Blog

OMG You started a thread ranting on President Bush. I am SHOCKED!!!
__________________
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
OMG You started a thread ranting on President Bush. I am SHOCKED!!!
Forget the thread. Old George W might have hired her cause she is not TOO BAD on the eyes. Yes, she is by far the best looking of all the W.H Press Secs.

But if it had been my decision to hire one it would have to be ERD50's choice the beautiful news reporter, Melissa Theuriau. Her french is just too much for a POOR devil like me to take.

GOD BLESS
__________________
War is a poor chisel to carve out tomorrow. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post

But if it had been my decision to hire one it would have to be ERD50's choice the beautiful news reporter, Melissa Theuriau.
Well, if it had been MY decision.... I'm afraid Mrs ERD50 would have used her VETO powers

At least we have the video

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,450
Wow that French accent is so sexy, of course the deliver maybe partly responsible. I think if Dana spoke in French it would definitely help the White House communications problem.
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
OMG You started a thread ranting on President Bush. I am SHOCKED!!!

Sorry not a rant just the facts. It shows the complete incompetence of this guy.
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Sorry not a rant just the facts. It shows the complete incompetence of this guy.
No dude here are the facts.

Fact 1. The modern White House Press secretary is high stress demanding job, it is rare press secretary who last more than 2 years

Fact 2. Tony Snow, the President's carefully selected choice, has cancer and was force to resign due to health reasons. Rather than appoint yet another old white guy to the job, President looked at the job that Dana was doing filling in for Tony, and take a chance that a young woman was up to the task. The only previous president who did such a thing was Clinton with De De Meyers, who also got bimbo charges leveled against her.

Fact 3. One of the most important jobs of a Press Secretary is to establish a good rapport. Judging from the tone of the press conferences, I think she has done a good job. (Yes, being an attractive young women in an environment of mostly old guys probably helps.)

Fact 4. In the context of a light-hearted news TRIVIA show Dana admitted that she was not fully up to speed on the Cuban Missile crisis. And she showed she is no expert on Rudolph the Red Nose raindeer trivia either.

Fact 5. The Cuban Missile crisis while important, is not in the top 10 list of the most important events in US history. It is probably far less important than knowing the names and backgrounds of the Press House press corp, and the names and correct pronouncation of foreign leaders and government official. I know I and bet you would fail pretty miserable at this task, but Dana doesn't.

Fact 6: The Bush hater and liberal media have leapped all over this to prove Bush's incompetence. If woman working in the White House is restricted to this who get masters degrees before they are 20 (like Condi) i.e. genius, they'll continue to be tokens.
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
No dude here are the facts.

Fact 1. The modern White House Press secretary is high stress demanding job, it is rare press secretary who last more than 2 years
I agree that they are probably looking for someone who has great skills in keeping up with *current* affairs - what did the President say about this that and the other thing recently? What are the current hot buttons that he may be asked to comment on? That person has to be ready to speak to the press about a wide range of topics.

So maybe they are not looking for someone with such a solid grasp of 50 year old history, but someone who is really good with multitasking and a good memory for recent events. Hopefully, you could find that in someone with a good political history background also, but maybe not so easy to do.

I'm not really defending Bush on the choice, just saying that maybe this is not as big a deal as made out to be?

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
[quote=clifp;587301]No dude here are the facts.
y helps.)
.

Fact 5. The Cuban Missile crisis while important, is not in the top 10 list of the most important events in US history. It is probably far less important than knowing the names and backgrounds of the Press House press corp, and the names and correct pronouncation of foreign leaders and government official. I know I and bet you would fail pretty miserable at this task, but Dana doesn't.


Cuban Missile Crisis: Summary

With our troops in harms way , I will not make any excuses here for how disgusted I feel about this situation. Listening to her laugh it off about asking her husband was it some bay of pigs thing?? She is just stupid. It took me all of 3 seconds to get this small history about the crisis while on the computer.

The fact that anyone gives her and the president a pass on this one is just fooling themselves. The only good thing that can be said is Bush is only in office another 12 months.

She should be fired.

And we want to put a missile defense system in the old soviet block of nations!! Think about how the Russians feel about that one??

I wonder what the press secratary thinks about that situation?
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
[quote=newguy888;587386]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
No dude here are the facts.
y helps.)
.

Fact 5. The Cuban Missile crisis while important, is not in the top 10 list of the most important events in US history. It is probably far less important than knowing the names and backgrounds of the Press House press corp, and the names and correct pronouncation of foreign leaders and government official. I know I and bet you would fail pretty miserable at this task, but Dana doesn't.


Cuban Missile Crisis: Summary

With our troops in harms way , I will not make any excuses here for how disgusted I feel about this situation. Listening to her laugh it off about asking her husband was it some bay of pigs thing?? She is just stupid. It took me all of 3 seconds to get this small history about the crisis while on the computer.

The fact that anyone gives her and the president a pass on this one is just fooling themselves. The only good thing that can be said is Bush is only in office another 12 months.

She should be fired.

And we want to put a missile defense system in the old soviet block of nations!! Think about how the Russians feel about that one??

I wonder what the press secratary thinks about that situation?
Part of me hopes a Dem gets into the White House, so I can take away your Chicken Little crown.............
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
It took me all of 3 seconds to get this small history about the crisis while on the computer.
But you have the advantage of being a New Jersery gym teacher. Hardly a fair comparison.

BTW, since you've read up on it, what is your opinion of the way Kennedy handled the situation? Would you say that the discovery of missles by our U2's justifies USA spying efforts today? Why?

One of our respected fellow posters challenges USA opposition to potential Iranian development of nuclear weapons saying that if we have them, it's only fair for them to have them. Based on that, since we had missles, wouldn't it have been fair for Cuba to have them? Could you compare and contrast any differences between the situations in your mind?

What color were the tarps covering the missles on the ships as they sailed away from Cuba? Were they similar to the ones you put on the floor of the gymnasium to protect it while the gym was being used for assembies? How did those tarps get from New Jersey to Cuba?

The whole thing was just so complicated. To get past this and get your head cleared up, go listen to Dylan sing "Talkin' World War III Blues" six times in a row and avoid blogs for a few days. It'll be OK......
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
I withdraw the question about the color of the tarps. Can't tell from these black and white pics.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ship_with_missiles.jpg (12.3 KB, 117 views)
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,450
[quote=newguy888;587386]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
No dude here are the facts.
y helps.)
.

Cuban Missile Crisis: Summary

With our troops in harms way , I will not make any excuses here for how disgusted I feel about this situation. Listening to her laugh it off about asking her husband was it some bay of pigs thing?? She is just stupid. It took me all of 3 seconds to get this small history about the crisis while on the computer.
Isn't google grand. A pity that Press Sec can't say good question, wait a few while I google for an answer. I am quite sure that Dana is capable of doing that also, but guess she is probably like super busy, and probably isn't in her top 10 list of things do. I missing the part where you showed me that Cuban Missile crisis is in the top 10 most important event in US history.

I also dying to see the connection between Putin, Missile defense and our troops in being harms way. Perhaps the Russian are smuggling in Havana cigars and affect troop morale.


Quote:
The fact that anyone gives her and the president a pass on this one is just fooling themselves. The only good thing that can be said is Bush is only in office another 12 months.

She should be fired.

And we want to put a missile defense system in the old soviet block of nations!! Think about how the Russians feel about that one??

I wonder what the press secratary thinks about that situation?
I sure glad I don't work for you if you'd fire somebody, for saying they don't know something. As for the press secretary opinion about this complex situation who cares it isn't her job.

President Bush has a Secretary of State, who actually is extraordinarily well qualify to negotiate this. Let's review Condi speaks Russian, has written books about the former Soviet Union and lectured on the subject at Berkeley and Stanford. She was the Russian specialist in the NSC under Bush 41, and meet Putin 20 years ago. I imagine she even studied a tiny bit about the Cuban Missile crisis, perhaps even read the original Russian intercepts.


Nice job making a mole hill into a mountain, a few more trillion electrons and you'll make it into Everest.
__________________

__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is our President for real?? newguy88 Other topics 7 05-31-2007 06:36 PM
Just Don't Touch That Monkey poboy Other topics 1 01-08-2007 01:03 PM
Anyone in touch with OAP? brewer12345 Other topics 69 10-19-2006 03:46 AM
A Female President? Honkie Other topics 30 11-29-2005 08:59 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.