Join Early Retirement Today

Another Reason The Internet Is Better Than TV
Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Reason The Internet Is Better Than TV

I just got rid of Dish, so I now only have locals. Wanted to watch the Demo debate tonight, but no local coverage! Weren't TV stations supposed to provide stuff like this to help inform the citizens, in exchange for use of the airwaves? Just MSNBC. Wife went out to internet and got the live feed watching it right now - just like TV we are in our twin barcoloungers with the laptop on the table between us - very novel! No commercials.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 AM   #2

Yeah, just like the phone, ipod and PDA are getting folded into one; the TV and computer will be merged.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #3

The way technology has changed in the last 20 years - it won't be long before I get my TV through the internet.

I thought Chris Dodds was impressive in the debate..he could have been given more time...I'm not so impressive with Edwards, Clinton & Obama lately...

"In a lighter moment, Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich confirmed an account in actress Shirley MacLaine's book that he saw a UFO while at her home in Washington state.
"More people in this country have seen UFOs than I think approve of George Bush's presidency," he said."
Another Reason The Internet Is Better Than TV Reply to Thread
Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Another Reason The Internet Is Better Than TV Reply to Thread

I just got rid of my cable, mostly b/c I found myself spending too much time flipping through channels and watching stupid shows with no value (anything on Bravo), so I"m getting no TV at all anymore (no local broadcast channels either)

I got an Apple TV which allows me to download video casts of the NBC nightly news and Meet the Press, then wirelessly sync those to the Apple box near the tv where I can watch em when I want - as well as listen to music, see pictures, audio podcasts and so on.

My biggest problem has been the wireless connection. I didn't buy an Apple router, but a Linksys, cuz it was cheaper and I thought they'd work the same way. It's buggy and a poor product. Lesson learned.

But in any case, I don't miss having regular TV at all after a month. I'd like to watch the Daily Show every once in a while, but it'll have to be just clips from their website.
tricky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #5

once they fully convert from analog to digital, you will be able to click on a logo on your screen and order a pizza, barbie or whatever...almost like charlie and the chocolate factory...waiting for smell-a-vision...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
once they fully convert from analog to digital, you will be able to click on a logo on your screen and order a pizza, barbie or whatever...almost like charlie and the chocolate factory...waiting for smell-a-vision...
...especially when watching the cooking shows!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get WinTV for your laptop and you can watch TV on it also.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Get WinTV for your laptop and you can watch TV on it also.
Sorry not familiar with it..is it a gizmo?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

WinTV-HVR-950
Old 10-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #10

Thanks....so you plug an antenna into it....good reception?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It comes with an antenna and you can plug it into you cable system - works very good.