Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

but they might be quicker on the uptake.. first they emulated the Soviets, now the capitalist West.. they may end up switching gears before we get around to it ourselves.. you never know. They have the 'benefit' of having an autocratic system where those at the top can apparently "make it so" (for better or worse) without entertaining a lot of namby-pamby "negotiation". ;-) If they can take 1/2 the cars off the roads by diktat for the Olympics, they can do it for longer if they were to choose to.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They have the 'benefit' of having an autocratic system where those at the top can apparently "make it so"
Good point. Imagine if they had to get the EPA, or similar bureaucracy, to bless every construction project. They would still be in the planning stages!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

er.. yeah.. and they might have (horrors) clean air and water!
The "one-child" policy seems evil and draconian to some.. but where would they be if they hadn't implemented that?

(that's why I said 'for better or worse')
Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The Greeks were once the center of civilization, no more. The Romans were once the center of civilization, no more. Repeated throughout history, all that changes is the scope/reach of each "superpower." Britain was the superpower of the 19th century. The USA was the superpower of the 20th century. And China is poised to be the superpower of the 21st century. A steady stream of Obama's & McCain's will guarantee our decline. One world, one dream - China's version of the dream. Not saying I'm happy about it and it won't be clear for decades, but you'll see...
China may be a story that is over before it really gets going. They have enormous problems, not the least of which is that they will have to source fuels from Russia. And if Russia can re-integrate the 'Stans into its sphere of influence, that wil be an even greater problem for China.

Remember in the '80s? It was going be all Japan, forever?

If the US can get over its outdated moralizing and elect someone with some sense somewhere along the line, we might find a niche. Low value assembly work and manufacturing to keep the (burgeoning) low end employed, and banking, engineering design etc. along the lines of some European nations at the other end.

It could happen.

Ha
Old 08-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

I've still got that "little hall monitor" bouncing around in my head. What a propaganda coup! He's hyped as a hero because after digging himself out of earthquake rubble, he helped dig a couple of others out. But to think about the sub-text, I'm been in earthquakes and tornadoes. Even with my less than perfect body, if I dug myself out, the adrenaline would be flowing, I certainly would help dig others out, even that neighbor I don't like, the one I've bartered with but who otherwise takes advantage of everyone. Frankly, I see nothing heroic in doing what the boy did; wouldn't any of us do the same? BTW, does he look nine years old? Maybe they really do count age as starting one year before birth.

The boy is a chosen class leader, a hall monitor. But think of what that means in a communist country! My mind leaps back to stories from Cambodia where people were killed because someone chose to wipe out people they didn't like back in second grade. I see the sub-text as taking pride in the idea that everyone is a hero not just the best of the best we see at the games. They've got a communist leader in every class, Stalin did that too.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He's hyped as a hero because after digging himself out of earthquake rubble, he helped dig a couple of others out.
I recall hearing about this tale (or a simular tale) during the weeks following the earthquakes in China. I understand that since that time the story has been embellished to the nth degree by the folks in power. Who knows what really happened, but tragedies can often produce heroic symbols.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote