Join Early Retirement Today

Another scam call
Old 08-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another scam call

Our son was flying to Idaho a few years ago with a change of planes in Denver. It was the night that United had a computer glitch and his plane was delayed long enough that he missed his connection. He and plenty of other travelers were stranded in Denver. There were no other flights to Boise for 2 days. Luckily, grandma lives outside of Denver. He called her from the airport and asked if he could stay with her a couple of days. It sure sounded like a setup for a scam! But he wasn't asking for money and he really did get an ride out to her house. He had a very nice surprise vacation and his employer (Idaho Shakespeare Festival) even reimbursed him for the cost to get out to grandma's house.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Want to go on a double date with me and Rachel from Cardholder Services?
You silly boys, these girls are not what they seem. You should contact one of the on line dating sites for genuine women who never lie or send in 10 year old photos. Good luck to ya.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Hey! WAIT JUST A MINUTE HERE, BUDDY!!! "Heather from account services" is MY secret girlfriend!!
(Is she two-timing me?)
You keep your hands off my Heather, Bud, or you're in trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Around here, Heather has a cute sounding sister, Elizabeth from Resorts Rewards, who keeps telling me I stayed at one of their hotels recently and has something good in store for me.
She called me once or twice too, but I didn't want her sister Heather to find out about "us" so I just hung up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
And Elizabeth seems to live nearby because every time she calls, she is calling me from a local number, and she is staying at someone's house within my phone exchange. Maybe she can come over to my place and give me the reward in person?
That's the strange thing, this morning Heather called me from Idaho. I just figured she was on vacation or something. Usually she calls from my home state, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Want to go on a double date with me and Rachel from Cardholder Services?
Don't even talk to me about Rachel! I thought we had a "thing" going, but she hasn't called me for WEEKs now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
You silly boys, these girls are not what they seem. You should contact one of the on line dating sites for genuine women who never lie or send in 10 year old photos. Good luck to ya.
Are you suggesting that Heather, Rachel or Elizabeth would LIE Them's fightin' words my friend! I stick up for my wimmin!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #44

When Rachel calls, I always press the right number and insist on speaking with Rachel or I won't deal. So far, no one has taken me up on the offer. I usually just get hung up on.

Doesn't the entire world now know about Rachel from Cardholdering services?? Who is dumber, the scammers or the American public? (ok, maybe I don't really want the answer to that question...)
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #45

Lately the lovely ladies (I assume they're lovely, it helps the image) have called on my cell phone, which I have only given the number to immediate family, and left messages to offer to sell me a warranty on my car and to fix my bad credit (last I looked the score was 800+) but I guess there must be a problem or they wouldn't call. Right?
Old 08-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Our son was flying to Idaho a few years ago with a change of planes in Denver. It was the night that United had a computer glitch and his plane was delayed long enough that he missed his connection. He and plenty of other travelers were stranded in Denver. There were no other flights to Boise for 2 days. Luckily, grandma lives outside of Denver. He called her from the airport and asked if he could stay with her a couple of days. It sure sounded like a setup for a scam! But he wasn't asking for money and he really did get an ride out to her house. He had a very nice surprise vacation and his employer (Idaho Shakespeare Festival) even reimbursed him for the cost to get out to grandma's house.
You just gotta love how Grandma always comes to the rescue. Glad he was able to visit with her.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
...to get out to grandma's house.
"But, grandmother, what big eyes you have."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
"But, grandmother, what big eyes you have."
Scams have been around since at least the brothers Grimm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
...fear/panic sets in, rational thought is out the window...
You're right. Probably the best thing to do is just introduce the scam before the susceptible get the call... as a joke... "by dose is busted so it dudn't sound dike be"
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Scams have been around since at least the brothers Grimm.
You're right. Probably the best thing to do is just introduce the scam before the susceptible get the call... as a joke... "by dose is busted so it dudn't sound dike be"
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I fixed that on my profile saying something like "Note to scammers, I'm pretty good at spotting you so if you are one expect to be ignored". Works well, haven't got a scam note in months. As mentioned, they probably just moved on to easier prey.
Question is... have you received any legitimate notes?
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
Question is... have you received any legitimate notes?
That's a whole different thread topic .