Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I keep hearing that I have to try Pappy Van Winkle, one of these days...
Haven't had it myself, but I see there are rave reviews of it online.

John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
As an aside, bourbon is usually "watered down"...

Bourbon whiskey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After maturing, bourbon is withdrawn from the barrel, usually diluted with water, and bottled to at least 80 US proof (40% abv).[4] Most bourbon whiskey is sold at 80 US proof. Other common proofs are 86, 90, 94, 100, and 107, and whiskeys of up to 151 proof have been sold. Some higher-proof bottlings are marketed as "barrel proof", meaning that they have not been diluted or have been only lightly diluted after removal from the barrels.

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I agree, but they know all too well that most customers won't notice a small change in proof, most (regular) customers would notice a price increase. Same thing the cereal companies have done as you noted. First they reduce weight/package and "we" don't notice at least on the shelves (many probably open the box when we get home and notice the package is no where near full). And then in a few years when everyone has forgotten what the former weight was, they will reduce the size of the box to save on freight and tell us "new improved, green packaging." but the customer will compare weights before and after and conclude, "good, we're still getting the same weight."

Ain't marketing grand?
Well said...
The "Twizzler" effect...
And yet... our friends seem not to notice?? When prices go up at our Aldi's, it's usually by about 15% to 20%... and they're still well below Walmart, and the other Majors.

It was just two years ago, when I could buy a 30 pack of Miller's for $9.99. Don't drink beer any more, but the current $15.95 price for 24, was a shocker.

The 1.75L Seagrams Gin was $12.99 in 2011... Is now $18.95 at Walmart... and the vermouth went from $1.99 to $4.97.

One of the LBYM great things about growing older, is that the single 2 oz. martini is enough.
One of the "Lucky Few"
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, never mind: Maker's Mark to stop watering down its whiskey

After backlash from customers, the producer of Maker's Mark bourbon is reversing a decision to cut the amount of alcohol in bottles of its famous whiskey.

Rob Samuels, Maker's Mark's chief operating officer, said Sunday that it is restoring the alcohol volume of its product to its historic level of 45 percent, or 90 proof.
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Congrats Janet H!
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I agree with your preference for products by Heaven Hill. My favorite is Evan Williams - good taste; modest price. This is a LBYMs bourbon.
They also make an evan williams single barrel version that is released every year as a new 10 year old bottling. This is basically Evan Williams black label on steroids and is quite frankly the standard by which I measure all bourbon. About $26 a bottle, so not crazily overpriced. I would say the only America whiskey I like better is Stranahan's, but it is both hard to come by and generally at least $50 a bottle (too rich for my blood except as a special treat).
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Somehow (like when I signed up for some free goodies ) Maker's Mark got a hold of my email address. I got this email today.

Dear Ambassadors,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark.

While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Rob Samuels
Chief Operating Officer,

Bill Samuels, Jr.
Chairman Emeritus,

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote