Join Early Retirement Today

Another Spears Kid Screws Up....
Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another Spears Kid Screws Up....

Just when you thought there was hope for the youngest Spears' kid (Jamie Lynn), think again....

Report: Britney Spears' 16-year-old sister pregnant - CNN.com

What is wrong with this family?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"It was a shock for both of us, so unexpected"
Evidently they were both absent the day that they taught sex-ed in sex-ed class.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Seems the mom has decided to hold off on publishing her book on parenting.

No, I'm not making that up. Either part.

Lynne Spears' book delayed indefinitely - Yahoo! News

Turns out the pregnant sis was also a spokesperson on the whole abstinence crusade...

Whoops...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

This is one family I vote for early retirement from the role models club. WOW
Old 12-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh come on people. She's a high school junior. How many of you lost your virginity at that age. I know most in my generation did. It's only a big deal because she got pregnant. Could've happened to any of us. Give her a break.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Read a story today that makes this even more messy. Seems that the BF is age 19 and Jamie Lynn is only 16. Is it rape?

Boyfriend of pregnant teen Jamie Lynn Spears could face statutory rape charges | the Daily Mail

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Read a story today that makes this even more messy. Seems that the BF is age 19 and Jamie Lynn is only 16. Is it rape?
Yes, but statutory rape only applies if you're NOT a well known celebrity with high priced lawyers..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It's only a big deal because she got pregnant.
Duh!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #9

Well, there's definitely some generational differences here - I did not lose my virginity at 15 or 16 - we had a different word for girls like her and her sister and it wasn't something to aspire to. However, anyone who thinks a TV star should be a role model perhaps needs to rethink that.

What I fear is the child having a 16 year old mother. The Spears are wealthy, so the economic needs of the child will probably be alleviated, but, the maturity of a 16 year old to provide guidance for a child as they develop in our society leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
...we had a different word for girls like her and her sister...
Popular?

...sorry, couldn't resist...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Better still, she was 14.5 when she started dating him.

"Mom, I have a new boyfriend and he's 17!!"

"No...no, you dont. I'm sending the police over there right now to put him out with a shovel".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #12

REWahoo - well, yes, I guess they were popular with a certain crowd :-) But hey - would you marry her? Or take her home to meet Mom? And do you think the 19 year old will be a good father? Hmmmmmm.

Yeah - I know, I'm old fashioned now and I'm 40+ - I've noticed a huge difference in what was considered OK behavior with kids just 4 years younger than I - big difference - I attribute it to the generation of their parents - mine were born in the early 40's and were in their mid to late 20's in the late 60's when there was a large societal upheaval in the US - the values differences are amazing when I speak with my colleagues.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh come on people. She's a high school junior. How many of you lost your virginity at that age. I know most in my generation did. It's only a big deal because she got pregnant. Could've happened to any of us. Give her a break.

I didn't, but I agree with the general sentiment. I don't think she "screwed up". Might she regret this down the line, perhap; however, it's also possible that might see it as one of the best things in her life.

I think it's telling that some people [not just here] seem to think that having a child at 16 is wrong and makes the pregnant girl a bad person. Also, I have much more respect for her that she's (apparently) going to have this child instead of deciding to terminate the pregnancy (and probably sweeping the entire thing under the rug along with it).

The act isn't the screw-up. It's what comes after.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Interesting perspectives.
Does anyone see the man/boy as a gold digger?
Get her pregnant; marry her; get her money.
Didn't this happen to her older sister?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #15

Just to clarify - I don't consider her a bad person - I consider her actions immature. Having a child at 16 in today's society will make it a 'long row to hoe' for most. Again, she's got the economic wherewithal to hire out whatever might be needed. Yes, it is noble that she has currently decided to keep the child, but considering how much has changed with regard to birth control in the last 30+ years, it is interesting that she even ended up pregnant at this age.

And yes - what about the male in this situation? Isn't he just as responsible? What will he be doing for the welfare of the child? I may be old-fashioned, but I believe when a couple has a child, then the priorities shift towards the child. The young Spears girl will not be the baby anymore, her child will. The same with her boyfriend.

However, hopefully it all works out - so far, her sister's example has not borne that out.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

If she follows her sisters example, she'll be driving down the street (no license) with a bottle of beer in one hand and a smoke in the other, baby dangling out the window, and probably wont be wearing any panties.

Dang. Its times like this that it sucks to be old, fat, and married.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Better still, she was 14.5 when she started dating him.

"Mom, I have a new boyfriend and he's 17!!"

"No...no, you dont. I'm sending the police over there right now to put him out with a shovel".
Reminds me of the time I went home on leave and my mother told me that my 13 year old sister had a new boyfriend. I said "That's great. When can I meet him?" Her answer "You can't. He's in jail." And he really was -- for drunk and disorderly conduct and fighting with the cops.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dang. Its times like this that it sucks to be old, fat, and married.
What a big, fat, hangin' slo-pitch. Over a two-foot wide plate.

I'm gonna go with "I guess that's why Britney decided to get divorced!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, it could have but it didn't. One of the underreported trends in the US is the slow but steady decline in teenage pregancies. It is roughly 7.5% for girls between 15 and 19, or put another way 92%+ of girls survive adolescent without getting pregant. Birth control is much easier to obtain now than when we were teenagers. Considering her mom has book on parenting coming out, you'd she'd do a better job. As first step in parenting make sure her 15 year old daughter A. isn't dating a boy three years older and B. Failing that make damn sure her daughter knows and uses birth control.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Clif - You see the latest rate of teen pregnancies over the last year? Way up.

We've also got one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the western world.